The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas changes??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Englishplayer
Posted 2003-12-28 11:23 AM (#198902)
Subject: Adamas changes??

With the LX series changes and the other changes are there any rumours or known changes to the Adamas line for the new year?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-28 11:31 AM (#198903 - in reply to #198902)
Subject: Re: Adamas changes??

If there are they'll probably be launched at the Namm show in mid Jan. There's a few OFCer's, including myself going to be there, so we'll keep you posted.
peterbright
Posted 2003-12-28 12:33 PM (#198904 - in reply to #198902)

Will you be able to take & post pictures as well?
alpep
Posted 2003-12-28 3:00 PM (#198905 - in reply to #198902)

there were some proposed changes. I am not sure if I am allowed to talk about them yet.
cms-man
Posted 2003-12-28 8:36 PM (#198906 - in reply to #198902)

Here we go again! We could tell you,but then we would have to kill you :-)
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-29 1:21 AM (#198907 - in reply to #198902)

I got my ear right up next to my computer, just whisper to me the changes and I won't tell a soul. Go ahead and whisper quietly, I'm listening.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-29 5:23 AM (#198908 - in reply to #198902)

The proposed changes are that thye are putting the sound holes on the back of the bowl. This way when you play a big E chord windmill fashion you really get bodyslammed. It's not for everyone.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-12-29 9:29 AM (#198909 - in reply to #198902)

Here's a novel idea - Why not just finish the Adamas Q ??? If you've been working on it for this long and it still isn't "ready" then I would suggest that maybe you're barking up the wrong tree. Dave
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-29 11:37 AM (#198910 - in reply to #198902)

LOL.. I would think the LX system, or at least a variation of it would really be an improvement on the current Adamas, or even some of the older styles.. (hmmm Custom order..)

As far as the Q goes, I think it's become more of a thought process than an actual guitar. The prototype of all prototypes if you will. Who knows they may release it eventually. Personally I don't like the looks of it that much. I'd prefer they just use the technology developed on the Q on an Adamas.

Before I get flamed for not liking it, I'll be specific. I am a fan of traditional looking things that really aren't traditionally made. As example, one of my favorite UKII's are the Brown "stained" ones. They look like wood bodies, with grain and all and the aren't. The epulets on the 2003 and I guess the new LX models, look like only a decal from a distance... but in reality are precise cut inlays. A guitar that's completely graphite, that looks like it's completely graphite, although cool looking, isn't my cup'o-java.
peterbright
Posted 2003-12-29 11:52 AM (#198911 - in reply to #198902)

A completely "unwooden" guitar that looks exactly like a "wooden" guitar complete with fancy grain pattern et al...I love the idea.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-29 12:16 PM (#198912 - in reply to #198902)

Peterbright, as I guess I'm not the only one... what I would REALLY like to see, and would want to buy is a completly graphite/aluminum etc etc etc.. Adamas that looked like the new Slothead Adamas. The original slothead was a guitar like no other. A few decades later another groundbreaking instrument with the same elements but looking like it has a wood top and neck, but not, and sounding as good as, if not better than the original.

That would be cool.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-29 12:27 PM (#198913 - in reply to #198902)

Originally posted by peterbright:
A completely "unwooden" guitar that looks exactly like a "wooden" guitar complete with fancy grain pattern et al...I love the idea.

Martin tried it with their DXM guitars. The bodies were made from a material which Martin called "high pressure laminate" but everyone else calls "Formica" They then applied a photograhic woodgrain effect. What you got was a USA-made $600 list Martin guitar that played pretty well & looked OK from a distance, but sounded like a $150
import. The paradox here, which seems to have evaded Martin completely is that if you want a synthetic guitar to compete with a traditional wooden guitar, it's gonna cost at least as much, if not more than a trad instrument, and if you build an instrument with cheap materials, while it will not necessarily sound "cheap" it certainly wont compete with something higher up the food-chain. Still, it's been pretty successful for them, there's a lot of people out there with their $400 formica guitars saying "Hey, I've got a Martin!"

As for the Adamas & Q etc, personnaly I think if you're going to make a guitar from radical materials, you should shout about it, rather than hide it under fake wood.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-30 1:48 AM (#198914 - in reply to #198902)

I'll say it again, I guess this is an attempt to make the phrase "Knock on wood" obsolete.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-30 2:17 AM (#198915 - in reply to #198902)

I have to agree with Paul. In the spirit of the Dutch modernist design tradition I have to object strongly to the idea of objects looking like something they are not. Isn't this called 'kitsch?'.

What do you prefer:

1. a. leather or b. tolex?
2. a. wood or b. mica?
3. a. chrome or b. chromed plastic?
4. a. glass or b. perspex?
5. a. women or b. rubber dolls?

My answer is 'a' to all questions, what is yours? (although I can imagine 5 b. is preferable when contemplating the purchase of another guitar)

:)

I generally prefer things looking like what they are. I like the looks of the CVT over the SMT 'cause the CVT is not pretending to have a wooden top. I prefer the hi-tech look of the 'Q-thang' on the website over a guitar that has gone through some stages to make it look like something that it's not.

Martin
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-30 6:37 PM (#198916 - in reply to #198902)

grrroovedude, I guess you missed my point. ALl of those things on the "b" side of the list only resemble the "a" side. They could not actually pass for the "a" side. Although this has nothing to do with the Q... there is the UKII as I mentioned. Played it for 5 years before I realized it wasn't wood. The "carved" top cover on the Older ovation headstock is foam, not wood. I have a jacket that everyone who sees and touches it thinks it's a fine leather suede. In fact it's a washable micro-fiber and you can't tell unless you look at the tag. This is of course a matter of taste. I don't like the look of the Q. I don't like the soundholes nor the look of the graphite. I'm a little annoyed at myself because frankly it wouldn't matter how good it sounded. I like the MOB because it looks like what it is supposed to look like which is a surf board inspired guitar. The Q just looks like a roundback graphite guitar, and frankly, it's been done and not by Ovation already, so it's not unique to me anymore. At this point it looks like something that was copied. I realize this is so far from the truth, but the other companies are selling their composite and graphite guitars. Oh, well... we all have opinions.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-30 7:25 PM (#198917 - in reply to #198902)

Miles,
I agree with you on the Q. I hate those swishy sound holes. Then again I liked the ones that looked like a dodge grill.(that's why they were that way!) Taste is in the mouth of the eater, or something like that. Perhaps the best thing for the Q is to kill it and let the technology flow into the Adamas line. Imagine what the prototypes will be worth in the future....$50? $75, maybe even $125!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)