The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Plugged In - Deep vs. Super Shallow

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-21 7:57 AM (#196782)
Subject: Plugged In - Deep vs. Super Shallow

I never thought about this before. Always assumed body depth made no difference to plugged in sound. So when asked, I usually gave advice along the lines of deep bowl being best for acoustic and supershallow being best for plugged (due to comfort). But I saw in another post (Moody?) the idea that body depth does in fact effect the plugged in sound as well. In many ways this makes sense due to the amount of air moving inside the body effecting top vibration, etc. But I'd like to hear other inputs on this - both technical and emotional. Go at it boys, let's have some opinions .... Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-21 10:32 AM (#196783 - in reply to #196782)
Subject: Re: Plugged In - Deep vs. Super Shallow

The size of the body absolutely has an effect on the plugged-in sound. The sound of a guitar is the sum of it's parts, and every aspect of the design, materials & construction affect the sound, although changing a single design element may produce a difference which is very subtle. For example the difference in sound between a super-shallow and deep bowl is much greater than the difference between a cutaway and non-cut, or for that matter a multi-hole & centre-hole of the same depth. The Ovation pickup is pretty accurate and it is sensitive to both top & string vibration. The fundamental frequency of the guitar is directly related to, among other things, the size of the air cavity, and this has some bearing on how the top responds. A guitar which is bass-light acoustically will generally be bass-light plugged-in. Though the supershallows can usually tolerate a fairly extreme EQ bass-boost to compensate without wanting to feedback as early as a deeper guitar. I personally do not care for the sound of the majority of super-shallows I've experienced, either acoustically or amplified. The pay-off is that I have a harder time getting my guitars to the levels I play at without outboard gear.

Try a comparison for yourself. Grab a supershallow & a mid or deep bowl. Compare the unplugged sound, then plug them both in with the eq on the guitars and the amp set flat
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-01-21 11:51 AM (#196784 - in reply to #196782)

I use supershallows exclusively for live performance, and just tweak the onboard preamp and my AD-5 to compensate. It isn't quite as natural sounding a bass, but that doesn't matter as much because my guitar sound is in a mix and most people do not notice the nuance of difference.
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-21 12:38 PM (#196785 - in reply to #196782)

I tend to agree that you dont get the fullness and bass response with a super shallow bowl in plugged or unplugged situations,.. however plugged in I agree that you can tweak the pre-amp some but it works better for me if I just boost the low end tones of the guitar amp I am playing through to compensate,.. in fact I like the extra cut I get from it being a little more on the treble side with the e and a strings hitting the big bottom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)