The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The P.I. Takes An Out Of State Case

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-07 3:55 PM (#7992)
Subject: The P.I. Takes An Out Of State Case

Had a nice visit from Mr. Moody this weekend. We played a lot of guitar and had a great time of it. I think Paul played every guitar in the house, which takes a little time. For me it was a real treat to have somebody else play these and hear them head on from about 6 feet away. Really gives you a different perspective on the guitars true sound.

But we didn't take any photos! Paul, what the heck were we thinking? I'll let Paul chime in on his impressions, but I don't think there were too many bad sounding guitars. My personal opinion (and Paul made the same comment) was that the Takamine bluegrass was STUNNING. It's just unimaginable how Tak could even build such a thing for that money. Of course the Collings and Martins sounded nice. But not surprisingly to me, every time I turned my back Paul had the GC2 (Glen Campbell Custom) in his hands. Not to pat myself on the back but building that guitar was one of the best damn things I ever did.

Paul brought his 87 Collector along and we did a good side by side with the (now Mike's) Book Elite. All I can say is that they sound the same, yet slightly different. To me both guitars sound way better to the listener than they do to the player. We also had some fun with the IDEA pre-amp. That thing is just WAY TOO COOL not to have. Go talk to Santa. We also recorded a few tracks but to be honest neither of us brought our "A" game, so they now reside in the trash bin.

Anyway, thanks for the visit Paul. It was great fun.

Toby
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-07 4:09 PM (#7993 - in reply to #7992)
Subject: Re: The P.I. Takes An Out Of State Case

Man, sounds like fun Dave. Wish I could have been there!
Beal
Posted 2008-12-07 4:36 PM (#7994 - in reply to #7992)

get togethers are always good
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-12-07 6:31 PM (#7995 - in reply to #7992)

You guys play One-on-One Touch o the new "AstroTurf"??
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-12-07 8:07 PM (#7996 - in reply to #7992)

Way cool, I would have liked to have been there...glad you had a great time...great times do not have to involve physical pic's...it's the ones in our memories that are the most precious... ;)
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-12-07 8:52 PM (#7997 - in reply to #7992)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:

But we didn't take any photos! Paul, what the heck were we thinking?

Toby
No evidence.
Weaser P
Posted 2008-12-07 9:13 PM (#7998 - in reply to #7992)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
Originally posted by Gallerinski:

But we didn't take any photos! Paul, what the heck were we thinking?

Toby
No evidence.
That sounds like experience speaking.

Frankly, I'd go with it too.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-07 11:00 PM (#7999 - in reply to #7992)

I just got home. Long drive over 2 days (840 miles total), but a great trip.

More than guitars, I had a great time visiting with Dave and Julie. I'm not too saddened about not taking pictures, but I wish like hell I had video of Dave going up and down the stairs with "Das Boot" on his foot. I won't go into details, but suffice to say, as he reads this, he's laughing.

Dave's got one of the best guitar collections that I've seen. It's not quantity (altho' there are quite a number), it's the quality! And to be allowed to play them, all I had to do was tune them. Each and every freakin' one of them.

Favorite guitars? Well, first, I've never been impressed by Taks. I am now. That bluegrass dreadnaught was wonderful (you take payments on it?). The EF75 was a great guitar and only about a notch down from the OM42 which cost quite a bit more. That little parlor size was great as well (what was the model number? OM2? S28 has one as well).

Of the Martins, the OM42 was great but the one I really liked for it's big D size sound was the D28VS -- D size body, slothead, 12 fret to the body. Truly a spectacular guitar.

Of the Ovations, well, first, Whitehead, you wanna talk stupid, it was stupid of you to sell your Pacemaker. One of the best wood topped 12's I've ever played. The K1111 reissued is a great great guitar (Bobbo, you're gonna be glad you ended up with one -- when you get it, I wanna play it!). But the wood top that really spoke to me was the GC Custom with the shiny artist bowl. Classic Ovation sound, classic Ovation look, both at their best. A really great guitar.

We compared the OFC'er (ding) to the 47 RI, and they don't sound the same. The OFC'er (ding) has a darker sound, the 47 brighter, more open. I'm going to bring up the saddle on my OFC'er (ding) and see what that does.

But the guitar that I ended up playing at the end and that I was happy to take home with me, was my own 87C. It just suits me and certainly didn't make me feel that I was playing something inferior. After all guys, it's all just ice cream.....

I had a great time.....
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-07 11:07 PM (#8000 - in reply to #7992)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:

More than guitars, I had a great time visiting with Dave and Julie. I'm not too saddened about not taking pictures, but I wish like hell I had video of Dave going up and down the stairs with "Das Boot" on his foot. I won't go into details, but suffice to say, as he reads this, he's laughing.

Dave's got one of the best guitar collections that I've seen. It's not quantity (altho' there are quite a number), it's the quality! And to be allowed to play them, all I had to do was tune them. Each and every freakin' one of them.

Favorite guitars? Well, first, I've never been impressed by Taks. I am now. That bluegrass dreadnaught was wonderful (you take payments on it?). The EF75 was a great guitar and only about a notch down from the OM42 which cost quite a bit more. That little parlor size was great as well (what was the model number? OM2? S28 has one as well).

Of the Martins, the OM42 was great but the one I really liked for it's big D size sound was the D28VS -- D size body, slothead, 12 fret to the body. Truly a spectacular guitar.

Of the Ovations, well, first, Whitehead, you wanna talk stupid, it was stupid of you to sell your Pacemaker. One of the best wood topped 12's I've ever played. The K1111 reissued is a great great guitar (Bobbo, you're gonna be glad you ended up with one -- when you get it, I wanna play it!). But the wood top that really spoke to me was the GC Custom with the shiny artist bowl. Classic Ovation sound, classic Ovation look, both at their best. A really great guitar.

We compared the OFC'er (ding) to the 47 RI, and they don't sound the same. The OFC'er (ding) has a darker sound, the 47 brighter, more open. I'm going to bring up the saddle on my OFC'er (ding) and see what that does.

Played briefly with Dave's iDea. Not much to say, but next year, I'm getting one.

But the guitar that I ended up playing at the end and that I was happy to take home with me, was my own 87C. It just suits me and certainly didn't make me feel that I was playing something inferior. After all guys, it's all just ice cream.....

I had a great time.....
seesquare
Posted 2008-12-07 11:20 PM (#8001 - in reply to #7992)

Well, Paul, Jeff has to stand-in-line for stupid. I sold Ol' Six-Oh-Six to him.
It just needed to go to a better player than me.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Same issue with Connolly, too. Since I'm in the mood for confession.....
Glad youse two had a good time. At least gas prices are down.
Waskel
Posted 2008-12-07 11:40 PM (#8002 - in reply to #7992)

Played briefly with Dave's iDea. Not much to say, but next year, I'm getting one.

I had a great time.....
Dontcha just hate it when people quote themselves?

Paul & Dave, sounds like a great way to spend a couple days!
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-12-07 11:44 PM (#8003 - in reply to #7992)

<>
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)