The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
replacing strings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

sard
Posted 2008-12-06 11:01 AM (#8299)
Subject: replacing strings

Hello everybody
I would like to replace the stings on a ulta 2071, what gauge of strings or what would the stings be from factory...thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2008-12-06 11:08 AM (#8300 - in reply to #8299)
Subject: Re: replacing strings

12's are factory standard, and what most people here use. D'Addario EJ16 are what come standard IIRC. I like Martin Marquis Phosphor Bronze light gauge. Just about any brand will do, but there is some difference, so you could just pick up three or four different brands and try them out.

Medium gauge, 13's, may have a slightly fuller deeper sound, but they will be harder to play. Extra Light gauge, 11 or less, will be easier but will have less body to the sound.

Do look for 12's, not just for "light gauge", because some brands rate their gauges differently. Some will call 12's "medium gauge".
Losov
Posted 2008-12-06 11:11 AM (#8301 - in reply to #8299)

Put light gauge whatevers on it. You might want to explore the web to see what alloy you'd like, depending upon whether you want a bright or a muted tone. (I like phosphor bronze - relatively bright). You can save if you order on the web, but only if you're buying several sets, as the shipping tends to devour any savings. I've been using Juststrings.com. Good luck.
Beal
Posted 2008-12-06 11:12 AM (#8302 - in reply to #8299)

EJ16, EXP16
sard
Posted 2008-12-06 11:54 AM (#8303 - in reply to #8299)

This is just one of the many great qualities of this forum, the quick respone to questions asked. Thanks
wilblee
Posted 2008-12-06 12:08 PM (#8304 - in reply to #8299)

I've used a lot of different strings, including the EJ16's which I like, but I keep coming back to Webstrings. They sound great and they are the least expensive string I've found.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-12-06 2:30 PM (#8305 - in reply to #8299)

I use as a standard , Martin MSP 3100 ( 80/20 Bronze , gauge 12 -54 ) to judge any other string by , when these break , they go " tuc " , and fall down , other strings might " snap " , and fly all over the place ( watch out for yer eyes !! ) .

When using a plectrum , I use a Gibson " H " as standard .

Having a standard can help ya to reach a decision quickly , like :

Lighter gauge is more romantic , heavier is more oomphy .

Thinner pick is brighter sound , THICKER is stronger sound , and the material that they `re made of , will make a Huge difference too.

It may depend on what ye intend to achieve :

Singer/Songwriters , when writing a song , often use lighter stuff , gauge 10 -50 for example , while , playing out , gauge 12 -54 could be called for .

( I like 13 -56/57 myself , but as FlySig says , it`s harder on the fingers , and requires a Good Set -Up )

Strings and Plectre are the most effective and cheapest trick to alter the voice of yer guitar .

Cheap strings often have a rough surface , causing a great deal of finger -squeek , more costly ones are Polished , Diminishing that squeek .

ELIXIR nearly Eliminates squeek , and withstands corrosion quite well , Purchase cost is High , but they Last Long .

I find , that nylon strings take -up to Three ( 3 ) days to " settle " , and Steel strings up to a week , yet , many like the sound of " unsettled " strings , and those are the ones that change strings frequently .

here`s a bit of help`:

http://www.martinguitar.com/strings/stringselect.html

Something Different , NEWTONE " Master Class " Dual -Coiled wounds :

http://www.newtonestrings.com/acoustic_page.htm

Winter is nigh , I hope you `ll have fun :)

Vic
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-12-06 4:05 PM (#8306 - in reply to #8299)

Thanx for asking Sard... We need to contemplate "The String Question" occasionally.
It keeps us grounded in Reality and reminds us Why We Are Here!

Just get the D'Addario EJ16 Lights for about $6-$8...
Less online. Haggle with the guy who tries to charge you $10.

:rolleyes: Although I am trying-out EJ26 Custom Lights... But we won't go there right now. :p
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)