The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Depressing! Ding in new guitar.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-06-15 6:27 PM (#147586)
Subject: Depressing! Ding in new guitar.

I already dinged the new guitar. I put a big dent in the cedar top I feel like I’m in a bad dream. That guitar was so beautiful. I’m sick. I don’t want to play it, look at it, or think about guitars period.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willard
Posted 2005-06-15 6:36 PM (#147587 - in reply to #147586)
Subject: Re: Depressing! Ding in new guitar.

It gives the guitar character!

You'll never leave the case unlatched again.
A few things I'm pretty anal about. At lease one latch shut on the case when the guitars is in it. I always have my strap with strap locks on and over my shoulder when I'm playing. I never lay it on the ground. I still have some dings and scratches and I remember where I got each one.
cruster
Posted 2005-06-15 6:37 PM (#147588 - in reply to #147586)

I feel for you. Send it up here and I'll give it a good home. :)

Just kidding...it's never a good feeling. But, it won't change the sound or playability of the guitar. Consider it a beauty mark, something that makes the guitar identifiable as uniquely yours. It's just like a new car, the first scratch is going to happen eventually. It's traumatic, but hey, it's not the end of the world. At least the headstock didn't break! Or the neck didn't snap off at the body.

I remember the pinhead sized ding my youngest son put in my brand new Hamer (sorry, Al, it had to happen eventually). I thought I was going to cry. Then I remembered...it's just a guitar and every time I look at that, I can smile because I know he was just pulling it out to 'be like dad.'

As the song goes...Always look on the bright side of life.
LeStrange1
Posted 2005-06-15 6:46 PM (#147589 - in reply to #147586)

Found a simular post here, maybe it can help. I KNOW it's GOT to be depressing. Just type the quote below into search at the top of the page and hopefully it takes you there. Someone said that Customer Service can help you with having the finish repaired.

Help!! Dinged my EliteT...
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-06-15 7:00 PM (#147590 - in reply to #147586)

Ouch I hate that. But as others have said it doesn't affect the playability, Look at Old Willie's
Beal
Posted 2005-06-15 7:13 PM (#147591 - in reply to #147586)

as they say, "It adds character"
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-06-15 7:17 PM (#147592 - in reply to #147586)

The first major ding always hurts, but every guitar has a first one! It's now officially your guitar!

Don't worry about it. We all have them in our guitars and learn a little more of the proper care and feeding of them with every ding. In the real world, dings happen.

My brother has a philosphy regarding cars that applies to guitars --- if you own a car that 5 years old and it looks like it's brand new, you're probably being way to anal about your car.

Now go play your guitar! It's probably wondering what it did wrong to be so neglected.
MWoody
Posted 2005-06-15 7:25 PM (#147593 - in reply to #147586)

Forget all that nicey "character" stuff, It sucks!

So get mad and get over it.

I had a similar unlatched case rollover experience with my shiny Elite LX. Youch!

It still sounds and feels great.
unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-06-15 8:01 PM (#147594 - in reply to #147586)

It sure does hurt (a lot!). I knew the time would come for that first ding (gouge {ouch!} in this case), but for it to happen while in the case! (and so soon) I thought I'd bang it on a door jam or somthing like that. What an ironic way to bang the thing. Also ironic, is that I was grabbing the case to take photo of my beautiful baby (i.e., the guitar).

Everyone keep those cases latched when your guitars are not being used! What a stupid way to bang your guitar. Thanks for the understanding thoughts; it helps, but still, it sure does hurt.
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-06-15 8:05 PM (#147595 - in reply to #147586)

Definitely sucks... but as never owning a new(or warrantied) guitar... I still have learned a few things after oops from the kids, act of god or ohh $#!t from my own stupidity...

I'm very positive tho that if I did ever get a brand new fully warrantied USA model and it were damaged...well it would definitely be worse than indigestion for me but I would get over it

Between Char and I we have 7 children between 27 and 16 and a couple of grands so we've pretty much learned that high drama doesn't last for ever and this too shall pass.

The rules of the house have become..if its not in your hands or properly over your shoulder on a strap it is in a stand or hanging on a swing. I don't keep any of my guitars cased unless being moved outside... like having them in arms reach and I definitely play them all a lot more without having to do the unveiling.

The missundastood PD is in the shop having the neck reset, nut job(be nice) and refret done can't wait.... should be home in 4 or 5 days... Howie has loaned me a Hamer Double-Cut flameburst while it's away.

Yes I believe it adds character and makes it a player's guitar but it still sucks... there are some good threads in here about repairing and refinishing if that's something you'd like to pursue.

God Bless,

Glenn
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-06-15 8:30 PM (#147596 - in reply to #147586)

I hate dinging new guitars, but I know it's going to happen, sooner or later. :)

I have taken some of the smaller dents out using the old woodworkers trick of using a damp towel and a steam iron. This will raise the wood back up, as the fibers get crushed. It isn't perfect, but it helps. :)

For real small dings and dents I have used a wet paper towel (not dripping) and an old soldering iron, but this you have to be very careful with, as it can burn the finish if left on it too long. :)
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-06-16 7:43 AM (#147597 - in reply to #147586)

Ding or no...

If you bought the guitar to just look at it, well it might be like a mustache on the Mona Lisa...

But if you bought it to play, you'll get past it the more you play.
Beal
Posted 2005-06-16 8:06 AM (#147598 - in reply to #147586)

If Mona has a mustache does she look like Cliff?
TRboy
Posted 2005-06-16 10:41 PM (#147599 - in reply to #147586)

.....Naahhh!!.....

unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-06-16 10:48 PM (#147600 - in reply to #147586)

I love playing the guitar, but I like it's unblemished looks just as much. A nice guitar is like a work of art to me. It still plays and souns great, but that ding! I am really depressed over this; so much so I may sell it! It just brings me down too much to look at it. I know it sounds crazy (well I am a little mental anyway), but I just feel like garbage, I really do.
TRboy
Posted 2005-06-16 10:57 PM (#147601 - in reply to #147586)

Dammmm,How BIG is that dent?? Post a picture so we all can share your grief....that way you'll get over it faster and won't have to sell it!!
texbaz
Posted 2005-06-17 12:28 AM (#147602 - in reply to #147586)

she no work, link says I must be logged in.

But I do feel the Pain brother.
jasingram
Posted 2005-06-17 7:02 AM (#147603 - in reply to #147586)

Thumb, you might try putting a wall mount in the room you play in. Seeing the guitar on the wall will remind you to play it every day, and you'll have less in and out of case troubles.

Hercules makes some cool ones that lock the guitar in place and automatically unlock when you lift it, using a spring I guess.
williamfriggle
Posted 2005-06-17 8:26 AM (#147604 - in reply to #147586)

Reminds me of the time I dinged my Taylor I had. I am very cautios and have had guitars for years and never dinged them. I ws going to play it through a Rock and Play. And I was getting the headphones and the end was stuck. Instead of getting it unstuck, I just yeanked. The coiled wire acted like a spring and the plug came a flying at me and dinged the awesome top. I cried. But I got over it. And I ended up trading it in and it didn't make a difference in my trade value. I have had My Legend LX for a year and no dings. I have bumped it, but no damage yet. I am sure I will cry if it happens.

Bill
unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-06-17 11:21 AM (#147605 - in reply to #147586)

Here is another link to an album of the guitar, hope it works. Ovation GC S771-C Album
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-06-17 1:43 PM (#147606 - in reply to #147586)

My condolences, thumb. Looks like it took a chunk out. I've got a few dings in my O's and just got a Balladeer with a couple small finish cracks and dings, but it's fairly old and I knew it had them when I bought it.
I was really bummed when my daughter's friend knocked my Matrix over and broke the rosette. It was 20 years old at the time and still mint. A little glue got it back to reasonably good condition. The first accident is always bad, but it seems inevitable, unless you never use it, whether we're talking about guitars or cars. Hang in there and see if your depression wears off.
texbaz
Posted 2005-06-17 2:33 PM (#147607 - in reply to #147586)

I think It's very fixable, Maybe not to the point that you can't tell it was ever repaired but you would have to look very hard. Send an E-mail with the picture to the Big "O" boys Kim and John and see what they say it might cost a few bucks but if you like the guitar it's worth it.
Eman
Posted 2005-06-17 2:55 PM (#147608 - in reply to #147586)

Done that. Had it repaired (manufacturer did it for free when I had it set up last). If it's for show, its a whole different kettle of fish. For home use, you won't have to be careful anymore and maybe you've improved the sound!

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your experience but don't stop playing it. You will still enjoy the sound and feel, right?
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-06-17 4:34 PM (#147609 - in reply to #147586)

Ouch! I know that hurts. I never told anyone teh story about my first Ding on my 1858 Elite 12 String. After christmas we had a few very nice days with temps around 70 with Sunshine and a gentle breeze. I went outside and played the guitar on the porch swing while my wife took down the remaining Christmas decorations. all went well until she bumbed my guitar with one of the metal reindeer. The ding was small, but it sure hurt.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)