The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Multi-Soundholes, bass side only

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Paul Templeman
Posted 2005-06-22 12:24 PM (#147048 - in reply to #147023)
Subject: Re: Multi-Soundholes, bass side only

The shape of the soundhole is pretty much an aesthetic consideration, on oval hole or round hole, or for that matter a cluster of holes wont make much of a difference tonally as long as the size is a constant. Placement is another issue, moving the hole/holes away from the centre of the top allows for a greater area of soundboard to vibrate. The Shape of the box can be another variable, in that boxes with parallel surfaces (eg dreadnoughts) can promote standing waves whose frequencies are related directly to the box dimensions. The lack of parallel surfaces in an Ovation bowl will distribute the standing waves more evenly. I've often thought that this could be one of the factors that contributes to Ovations signature sound.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Strummin12
Posted 2005-06-22 12:54 PM (#147049 - in reply to #147023)

Interesting to me...last year prior to the new MEII1598 coming out (which is the newer version of the Melissa Etheridge 12 string Adamas with one set of soundholes) I saw Melissa's ME1598 (original ruby version) very close up. The soundholes on the treble (string) side were plugged in with wood painted flat black to seal 'em up, in order to sound closer to the newer model...and still not be so obvious. Apparantly she was not 'ready' yet to play the new one publicly, so she modded the old one for performances in the meantime.

Anyway...

Johnny
schroeder
Posted 2005-06-22 3:29 PM (#147050 - in reply to #147023)

On several upmarket guitars (and I do mean UPmarket - John Montleone and several classical makers) they offer a port in the side - top shoulder - so that the player hears what the audience hears. It doesn't appear to affect the front projection at all, although nobody's ever let me play one to find out.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2005-06-23 7:03 AM (#147051 - in reply to #147023)

Originally posted by Waskel:
[/qb]
Ooooohkay. I guess what I'm asking is (in your opinion) would the multi-hole top with the 12 fret neck be likely to have as good of bass response as the single hole with the 12 fret neck? [/QB]

My guess would be that they'd sound pretty similar, all things being equal, which they rarely are.
an4340
Posted 2005-06-23 7:39 AM (#147052 - in reply to #147023)

So the removal of the lower bout soundholes increases the base response while decreasing the treble response. From the above, I get the vibe that most people want to give up some high end for more bass. I'm stickin' to my preferences though, holes on both sides for pure acoustic playing and holes on one side for amplified.

PS: Thanks for the explanation PT
Waskel
Posted 2005-06-23 9:22 AM (#147053 - in reply to #147023)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
My guess would be that they'd sound pretty similar, all things being equal, which they rarely are.
Paul, I was going to tell you that you make a lot more sense when you type than you do when you talk.

Now I'm not so sure.

Have you ever considered politics? :D
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-06-24 6:39 AM (#147054 - in reply to #147023)

Paul, Sometime I wouldn't mind reading a post with a more thorough explanation of the Helmholtz frequency. I know I'll get comments about being a geek, but I'll also bet I'm not the only one who wants to hear more. Maybe a link to save you some time...but then it's fun to hear it in YOUR words. Tks, John <>{ P.S.- Thanks for being so kind to Lisa on the tour. That was her first time rubbing elbows with the BIG guys and she's got enough inspiration to move her playing 10 levels higher.
cliff
Posted 2005-06-24 7:54 AM (#147055 - in reply to #147023)

John;

If you do a search in the archives for "Helmholtz"
(narrowing the search down by searching only Master Templeman's post - by entering his Member #), you'll find a quite nifty, descriptive post that he did a couple years ago (if I remember correctly) . . . . .
Paul Templeman
Posted 2005-06-24 9:34 AM (#147056 - in reply to #147023)

John, I pulled these off the post Cliff mentioned

http://www.hesston.edu/academic/faculty/nelsonk/PhysicsResearch/Gui...

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211.web.stuff/billington/air.html

they explain some of the acoustic physics of guitars in relatively simple terms
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-06-24 5:35 PM (#147057 - in reply to #147023)

By "relatively simple" I take it to mean you think even I could grasp it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)