The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
What's Black, has Lots of Abalone and a Contour Bowl ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-08-16 10:28 AM (#140858 - in reply to #140808)
Subject: Re: What's Black, has Lots of Abalone and a Contour Bowl ?

It's the tooling for the bowl mold that's the expensive part. But that idea about a non-cutaway LX is kind of interesting......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
leftovertion
Posted 2005-08-16 10:32 AM (#140859 - in reply to #140808)

As far as necks go, the new necks (LX guitars)feel very similar to my Larrivee's, a nice C shape which I really like (even holding them upside down!); the older necks, like my 1777, have a much sharper V shape to them - took me awhile to adjust, I actually had some pain from it for awhile, and am still tempted to reduce the V a little.
Corvairfan
Posted 2005-08-16 10:53 AM (#140860 - in reply to #140808)

I absolutely need the contour bowl for an Ovation now.

My friend won the Adamas 2??? at the OFC tour. It sounds great, has a huge fat neck and sits well on the leg. But standing up with my belly? Nope.

I need the contour so it's either an 05 or a CL right now.

It's got to be the fatness and the shape. I think the s771 is so fat and v shaped it keeps the hand more in an up and down proper holding position naturally.

I'm gonna play a regular lx CL at lunch if they still have it. I got to try one.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-08-16 11:20 AM (#140861 - in reply to #140808)

It was an Adamas I that your friend won. Is it being played? How does your friend like it compared to his other guitars?
Jeff
Posted 2005-08-16 11:31 AM (#140862 - in reply to #140808)

Paul, I'd pondered the idea of a non-cutaway LX myself. Who knows, maybe someday.

Mike, it sounds like you and I really are coming at this from opposite directions. Me, I feel like I just rediscovered all wood boxes again, and I'm rather enjoying the getting acquainted process.

My recent rants have probably given everyone the impression that I'm just sitting around seething over Ovation's lack in left handed offerings. Truthfully, it's not something I give a whole lot of thought to.

The Bible says that "all things work together for good" (Lord, forgive me for taking this way out of context). While the apostle Paul wasn't speaking of guitars, the principle is that while Ovation has been busy trying to keep up production of their bread and butter products, it's given me the opportunity to rediscover that there are other acoustic guitars out there besides Ovations. Frankly, I'm blown away by the tone I get from my Martins. Had Ovation been swift to come out with LH versions of their new stuff, I might never have experienced the joy of playing and owning my Martin guitars. Does that make me appreciate my Ovations any less? Absolutely not.

It was never my intention, if, in fact, I did so, to speak negatively of Ovation, either as a company or a product. By the same token, it was not my intention to give the impression that I felt "forced" into buying my Martins. Like y'all say, it's all ice cream. Well, I'm now discovering that for myself. :)

Jeff
ChatMan
Posted 2005-08-16 12:12 PM (#140863 - in reply to #140808)

Originally posted by p.i. 'Money Fret' moody:
It's the tooling for the bowl mold that's the expensive part. But that idea about a non-cutaway LX is kind of interesting......
Corvairfan
Posted 2005-08-16 1:03 PM (#140864 - in reply to #140808)

My friend won the Adamas at the OFC tour. He never wanted an Ovation(the bowl thing) but has one now. He does like the tone of it and hasn't complained yet about the bowl though that may change in a few weeks when we do a show and he has to stand up.

Well, I played a regular LX CL and the 05 and yes the 05 feels a tad narrower but not much. I also played a Martin and my conclusion:

It is me. 1 11/16 is very narrow and I guess the S771 just feels wider and more comfortable than any other 1 11/16 acoustics for some reason.

Oh well... still will play a CL contour when they hit the stores.

Glad you enjoy yours. I still like ccb color though.
linshuchen
Posted 2005-08-18 8:21 AM (#140865 - in reply to #140808)

not sure they are obsolte.. just different
Jeff
Posted 2005-08-18 12:37 PM (#140866 - in reply to #140808)

Originally posted by linshuchen:
not sure they are obsolte.. just different
linchuchen,

I think you're referring to a comment I made a few days ago regarding non-LX Ovations. I was making a point more about pricing than quality.

The non-LX O's are fine guitars, no question. However, it's not without reason that the LX package is referred to as an "upgrade." Or as you put it yourself in another thread when asked if the LX guitars are better than the "regular" Ovations, "way more awesome.. great sound, better neck attachment system, better preamp." There you go...

Jeff
Bailey
Posted 2005-08-19 1:36 AM (#140867 - in reply to #140808)

Dave

Beautiful guitar.

My GAS has always been to have a CL like Paul Simon played at the Central Park concert.

Wow, now I could have one even better and prettier. My children may have to support me 'til I die as I spend their inheritance on one of those.

Bailey

Does Al take green stamps, I found some in an old trunk we brought from California in 1980???
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)