The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
2005 OFC Tour------Serious Information

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2005-06-19 5:08 AM (#147137)
Subject: 2005 OFC Tour------Serious Information

With sooooo much to pass on to others, I thought it might be a good idea to seperate the fun stuff from the more serious things that happened on the tour.
In an attempt to set the tone of this thread I want to tell you about the device they use to measure the vibration of the top of a guitar. This was one of the most interesting parts of the tour for me. I'm sure that most of you have seen pictures of the laser measuring devise they use. This devise plots the movement of just under 1000 points on the guitar top. The graphic representation on the computer screen can be shown in many ways but the coolest was looking right down at the top. A rainbow of colors (light for more movement, darker for less) shows that the top does not just vibrate in unison....IT FLOWS! It dips, it heaves, rainbow waves of color radiates out from the bridge like a stone dropped into the still waters of a pond.
They can rotate the display to top observe the top at any angle or cross section they choose. When they see an unwanted anomoly of wave pattern (which shows as a darker color), they can go to the bracing at that one point out of almost a thousand and address the issue. Stunning....absolutely stunning.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willard
Posted 2005-06-19 6:33 AM (#147138 - in reply to #147137)
Subject: Re: 2005 OFC Tour------Serious Information

How about the contour bowl. Will we see it on all the new models?
Slipkid
Posted 2005-06-19 7:30 AM (#147139 - in reply to #147137)

Not on all the new models, but a few. They are going to use the new bowl on the higher end guitars first and work it's way down the line. Don't look for a standard Balladeer with a contour bowl within the next two years.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2005-06-19 8:24 AM (#147140 - in reply to #147137)

Will there be some Adamii coming out this year with the contour bowl?
Slipkid
Posted 2005-06-19 8:44 AM (#147141 - in reply to #147137)

All I can say is that they had one there and I played it. They were looking for opinions on the teardrop sound hole so we don't know what their final decision will be.
fugot
Posted 2005-06-19 8:57 AM (#147142 - in reply to #147137)

I think whatever model is produced for adamas, it will be contour bowl. But I may have heard that wrong. hmm, I guess that doesn't really answer the question. They did say the contour bowl will start at the top end and work it's way down through the models. Of course they laughed when asked about a 12 string adamas teardrop for 2006.
But their eyes got big when Paul said $2000-3000 was not to much to pay for a new 2006 model. I think it just went up another $1000 by the end of his sentence. :)
seriously, I hope they build the teardrop adamas. It had an aluminum rossette around soundhole (not sure if you call it a rossette or not ). It was very cool the more I think about it. A cannon, disguised as a very very sweet looking guitar.
Beal
Posted 2005-06-19 9:13 AM (#147143 - in reply to #147137)

Yes the teardrop is a very cool design and it would be a shame if they don't use it.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-06-19 9:22 AM (#147144 - in reply to #147137)

I'm downloading as fast as I can. Here is a timely one.
This is Miles playing an Adamas with a contour bowl.
alpep
Posted 2005-06-19 7:29 PM (#147145 - in reply to #147137)

that guitar Miles is holding is one of the most awesome guitars.

There are contrasting reports of if it will be in the line or not. First I heard no but I think after the OVERWHELIMGING approval it got from our membership I heard some back pedaling of maybe it will be avail in a different form with different electronics.

Perhaps they can do it as a fan club guitar for 06?????
Slipkid
Posted 2005-06-20 4:59 PM (#147146 - in reply to #147137)

****access****
Miles had told me before about how it is possibe that when an OFC member meets someone from the factory they just might already know who you are and what guitars you own. You don't know how true that can be until you come on a tour. Kim Keller introduced himself to me in the middle of a busy meet and greet in the hotel lobby. One of the first things he said was, "The Balladeer you sent in a few months ago is ready."

No matter if was Mary who did the inlay work on my AD-II or General Manager Frank Untermyer. When you struck up a conversation with them you could sense that they had a genuine interest in what you had to say.

I spoke with Rick Hall for a few minutes at the ski lodge. I just wanted to say that Martin, Taylor, and Gibson reps come in and put on a sales promotion at least once a year in our local music store. I'd like to see an Ovation event there someday. He knew the store I was talking about and recalled the name of the local rep. He seemed to be making a mental note to follow up on it. I was able to tell him that both of the high end Ovation BrianT and I purchased from there had never been put out for display. They came from the backroom.

Chief Engineer Dave (I'm sorry, I don't remember his last name) would take as long as needed to answer and explain any technical question you might have.

My pet peeve is cheap looking paper labels stuck in the center of a fantastic abalone rosette. An Ovation soundhole is more of a focal point that any other guitar. I feel that a foil label of the same size would help convey the quality of the guitar.

Not to say that my opinion will change anything but I know I was heard.

I'm sure all these people have the daily problems that any large company would have. But for that day of the OFC Tour, their attention and interest is honed in on those people who would take vacation time to be there.

I was fortunate enough to be interviewed for the 40th anniversery DVD. I don't know if I will be in it or left on the cutting room floor but what an honor to be asked.
MWoody
Posted 2005-06-20 5:30 PM (#147147 - in reply to #147137)

How about a hologram Label with individual serial numbers.

It is good to see the people connections that were made!
play4fun
Posted 2005-07-06 10:53 AM (#147148 - in reply to #147137)

Originally posted by alpep:
that guitar Miles is holding is one of the most awesome guitars.

There are contrasting reports of if it will be in the line or not. First I heard no but I think after the OVERWHELIMGING approval it got from our membership I heard some back pedaling of maybe it will be avail in a different form with different electronics.

Perhaps they can do it as a fan club guitar for 06?????
I have 2 suggestions on this one (cateye or tear drop Adamas). First make the top black (that pewter gray just doesn't do it visually) and second make the side fret markers BIG . I don't mind having no position markers on the front,but only having small dots on the side (as in the case of the elite T) makes it hard to spot them quickly in dim light. Do those 2 things and I gotta have one.
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-06 10:58 AM (#147149 - in reply to #147137)

Is the Tear Drop symbolic of all the whining and crying we do? No need to mention why it is grey!

I would vote for the K-k-k-oa K-k-k-ollector myself.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-06 11:10 AM (#147150 - in reply to #147137)

Brad, the chief engineer is Darren.

You gotta realize that as much as the gatherings are an opportunity for us to get a look at the inside of Ovation and it's people, it's also a chance for the people there to talk with a number of Ovation fanatics who have strong views of their guitars. The information flows both ways. What was really great is that both groups get along so well together. There are no demands made, just honest opinions flowing back and forth. It's a big part of what makes these things special.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-06 11:21 AM (#147151 - in reply to #147137)

My apologies to Darren on getting his name wrong. I was suffering for a severe case of "information overload" that day.
Woody...anything can happen but I beleive the koa was the front runner for the collectors model next year.
Waskel
Posted 2005-07-06 11:26 AM (#147152 - in reply to #147137)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
I was suffering for a severe case of "information overload" that day.
That's the truth. I'm editing the tour video and catch myself just watching it cause I see things I didn't catch at the time.
cliff
Posted 2005-07-06 11:28 AM (#147153 - in reply to #147137)

Darren is "the MAN" (and a HELL of a nice guy! . . )

I may be mistaken, but I believe that Darren was very instrumental in a lot of the changes that we've seen (like the ContourBowl).

When we were hanging out in R&D the afternoon of the Tour, Darren took the time to sit down with me and not only answered whatever questions (that he was "allowed" to answer) that I asked, but he intently LISTENED to answers to questions that he asked ME (especially in regards to the proposed koa '06's). He's a VERY sharp guy.
(HELLUVA viola player as well . . . .)
Waskel
Posted 2005-07-06 11:32 AM (#147154 - in reply to #147137)

Yes, I seem to remember Rick (or Frank) at the Q&A talking about how Darren was the one who kept pushing for the bowl change.
A very good idea. I'm glad they listened.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-06 11:34 AM (#147155 - in reply to #147137)

I would like to have been a fly on the wall during those talks.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-07-06 11:51 AM (#147156 - in reply to #147137)

Innovation and invention never come from management or marketing ... and most times they are hurdles to bringing it about. It takes dedicated engineers who fight like hell to get their ideas listened to and implemented.

Of course, when all is said and done, we in management and marketing always take credit for it. ;)
Waskel
Posted 2005-07-06 11:56 AM (#147157 - in reply to #147137)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
It takes dedicated engineers who fight like hell to get their ideas listened to and implemented.
That's their job.

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
Of course, when all is said and done, we in management and marketing always take credit for it.
That's your job. :D
fugot
Posted 2005-07-06 12:36 PM (#147158 - in reply to #147137)

forwhatever it's worth, I like the 2006 teardrop in grey, and the aluminum rossette? seems cooler the longer I think about it.
Someone earlier mentioned bigger side markers on fretboard, which would help a hack like me at times, maybe inlaid aluminum or abalone. small white painted dots just reek cheap to me on any guitar.
But overall, me being a small brained bear, I trust all the Ovation engineers innovations to be on the beat. Build the teardrop and I will buy one. don't forget the 12 string model either....peace to all mike
Strummin12
Posted 2005-07-06 3:46 PM (#147159 - in reply to #147137)

If I recall correctly, the top on this was a much darker, deeper gray, closer to black. I think the flash caught the top in such a way to make it look much lighter (like those gray elite T's), so this photo is a bit deceiving.

I thought the guitar looked very cool, having a sort of gothic look, and the pewter& black machine heads were sharp. Darren mentioned going for a "batman" type look.

The guitar sounded awesome, though I really dig the look, the sound made me not even care about appearance.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)