The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What's wrong with the 1777LX's?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

vintrest
Posted 2005-07-16 6:51 PM (#143817)
Subject: What's wrong with the 1777LX's?

Greetings All,
I'm a newbie to this group but have been playing guitars for many years. I've never owned an Ovation, (I've had my Yamaha FG-180 since I bought it new in 1972) but would like to upgrade to one. Seems like one finds the factory reconditioned 1777LX's a lot on e-Bay lately. Why? Is there a fundamental design flaw or bad electronics in this model to result in so many FRG's being sold? (nearly all by music instrument stores)I like the look and the sound of Ovations and see the 1777LX's as being an affordable option. I've submitted a "best offer" to one e-Bay seller but previous inquiries I've made to them about this model remain unanswered. Could you please enlighten me, if you can.
Kind Regards,
John Shiflet
vintrest@yahoo.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tommy M.
Posted 2005-07-16 9:25 PM (#143818 - in reply to #143817)
Subject: Re: What's wrong with the 1777LX's?

I could only relate my experience. I ordered the 177LX in Jan 2004, from Musicians friend. Upon receiving it, I had a problem with the OP electronics. It cut out while playing. I sent it back and received another guitar. Since then, this guitar has worked excellent. It is my most played guitar, and it sounds and plays better than my Taylor and Gibson Dove acoustic. From the tour I learned that FRG could mean anything from a repaired tunning key to the OP module. Ovation corrects these guitars and marks them FRG. I guess with a new product, there's always the adjustments. If you can get a good price for a FRG, go for it.
Tommy
vintrest
Posted 2005-07-16 11:07 PM (#143819 - in reply to #143817)

Tommy,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm glad you edcuated me about Ovation's definition of Factory Reconditioned. In that case, it appears it does not mean there's a known problem with that particular model line, but just normal production glitches, as you might find with any guitar line that is factory produced. By the way, I offered the seller $650, including shipping, which is about the most I'm comfortable with in buying any instrument unplayed and sight unseen. Your personal endorsement of the 1777LX is encouraging. Thanks again for your reply.
John
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-17 7:01 AM (#143820 - in reply to #143817)

vintrest, hope the seller bites, but bet he doesn't......they sell for $1000 for so street price new.

Hope you realize that an FRG has a 5-year warranty, as opposed to limited lifetime on a non-FRG. Almost all Ovation models have FRGs, you see them often on eBay. I doubt there is anything wrong in particular with the 1777LX.

Roger
John B
Posted 2005-07-17 9:51 AM (#143821 - in reply to #143817)

Don't even get me started. ;)

My problems with my 1777LX have been well documented on this board. I struggled for almost a year with problems with the guitar cutting out on me in the middle of gigs. I finally had the pickup and jack replaced and it's been fine ever since (knock on wood). Other than that it's a fine guitar. I love mine now that it's working properly.
vintrest
Posted 2005-07-17 10:18 AM (#143822 - in reply to #143817)

Hi Roger,
Yes, I'm well aware that the FRG warranty is only 5 years. To me, that's still a lot as anything that's likely to go wrong because of manufacturing will probably happen within that time period. By comparison, my recently bought new $1,800 Sony (RA-830G)computer has but a 1 year warranty. I've already had to have the power supply replaced, in warranty, of course. As for my offer, hard to say if they will accept it or not. Another identical 1777LX I bid on (also an e-Bay musical instrument store FRG) sold for only $511 (w/no reserve)last week. I'm very patient-I've waited 33 years to upgrade my Yamaha FG-180 acoustic. (while I went to college, married, raised two kids to maturity, and finally, single again, I can resume my passion for guitars and music)

In the interesting story category, my bought-new 1975 Gibson SG Deluxe literally sat stored under my bed for nearly 30 years while I waited for the day when I could again buy a decent Amp. I foolishly sold my mid-1960's hand-built 100W tube Amp just before I bought my SG and had hoped to quickly upgrade to a Fender/Jensen Twin-Reverb back then. It never happened. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I finally bought a new Rocktron Replitone 212 modeling Amp off e-Bay for $400. Modeling Amps, as you probably know, replicate/simulate the signature sounds of famous maker Amps. While purists would strongly argue this is blasphemy,(or something worse) I'm extremely pleased with the sound capabilities of this Amp. It can go from brutal shredder distortion to Fender-type bright sparkle. I couldn't find a better 2-12" deal new w/warranty anywhere else. My mint condition SG plays like a dream through it and I've just added a MIDI foot controller. I'd sure like to hear what a decent Ovation would sound like through it. Sorry to go off-topic and ramble...brevity, I'm afraid, is not my forte`.
John
vintrest
Posted 2005-07-17 10:26 AM (#143823 - in reply to #143817)

Originally posted by John B:
Don't even get me started. ;)

My problems with my 1777LX have been well documented on this board. I struggled for almost a year with problems with the guitar cutting out on me in the middle of gigs. I finally had the pickup and jack replaced and it's been fine ever since (knock on wood). Other than that it's a fine guitar. I love mine now that it's working properly.
Hi John B,
Thanks for your input-that balances the others. I hope your warranty (assuming you had one) covered the repairs mentioned. By the way, you have a very nice website-after looking at your songs playlist, I find we have similar musical tastes.
Regards,
John S.
Stephen P
Posted 2005-07-17 10:26 AM (#143824 - in reply to #143817)

I recently (just yesterday) bought a Vox 50watt ing amp.

With the tube preamp and amp selection, I can get tons of sounds out of it, since it also has many effects. It even has noise reduction to stop that static when playing with high distortion!
jyam4
Posted 2005-07-17 4:25 PM (#143825 - in reply to #143817)

Since this post is about an FRG, I have a few questions and observations. The FRG is suppose to be a 5 year warranty, right? Now if you go to the official Ovation website, you'll find that a Limited Lifetime warranty is really only a full 2 year warranty on parts and labor. After that, only parts are covered and not labor. How does that help if something is wrong with, let's say, the guitar neck or fretboard, or even the bridge? These kinds of repairs are labor intensive, and that's what really drives up the cost. I've read wonderful things on the OFC concerning factory repairs out of warranty, but does anyone have any experience with the factory concerning the "after the 2 year" period?
Joe
Designzilla
Posted 2005-07-17 5:07 PM (#143826 - in reply to #143817)

jyam4
I don't know if the warantee has changed, but back in the early 80's I sent my 1112-4 back for some work (the bridge was coming up!). I had owned it for close to 10 years, It didn't cost me a cent.
jyam4
Posted 2005-07-17 5:36 PM (#143827 - in reply to #143817)

Here's the address and the section of the FAQ concerning warranty:

http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=faq

What does a Limited Lifetime Warranty Policy really mean?

Our Limited Lifetime warranty policy means that for the first 2 years you own the product, Kaman Music will cover all parts and labor for anything deemed defective. After that initial 2 year period, Kaman will cover the parts for anything deemed defective as long as you own the product, but now the consumer is responsible for any labor charges incurred in the repair.
Please Note: All electronics, machine heads and strings are not covered under warranty.

Does this also mean that the preamp & pickup are NEVER covered, even when new?
Joe
TexasDoc
Posted 2005-07-17 6:00 PM (#143828 - in reply to #143817)

I had somebody who advertises on Ebay tell me that they were not allowed by Ovation to sell new guitars less that 30% off MSRP. So they way they got around that was to mark them as FRGs even though they were actually new/normal/undamaged so they could lower the price.

I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but that may be why there are so many FRGs on Ebay.
vintrest
Posted 2005-07-17 6:12 PM (#143829 - in reply to #143817)

Hey, Big Money Franklin,

Your theory about the FRG's seems valid as the e-Bay seller on the 1777LX I made an offer on advised me he could find no discernable defects or flaws. He also said he picks these up several times a years. Oh, and he did politely decline my offer. That's ok, I'm patient.
John
John B
Posted 2005-07-18 8:22 AM (#143830 - in reply to #143817)

Originally posted by jyam4:
Here's the address and the section of the FAQ concerning warranty:

http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=faq

What does a Limited Lifetime Warranty Policy really mean?

Our Limited Lifetime warranty policy means that for the first 2 years you own the product, Kaman Music will cover all parts and labor for anything deemed defective. After that initial 2 year period, Kaman will cover the parts for anything deemed defective as long as you own the product, but now the consumer is responsible for any labor charges incurred in the repair.
Please Note: All electronics, machine heads and strings are not covered under warranty.

Does this also mean that the preamp & pickup are NEVER covered, even when new?
Joe
Ovation would not cover my repair under the warranty, but the repair wsn't that expensive. Al gave me a great deal on the guitar so even with the cost of the repair added, I still got a good deal on the guitar.

John S. - Thanks for the kind words about the website!

John
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)