The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: Need some help!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-20 8:12 AM (#143341)
Subject: OT: Need some help!

I've been throwing the idea around of purchasing an "Explorer" type guitar, but I'm not sure of which brand to buy.

Should I buy a Gibson, because they were the originals? Or should I buy a look alike?

I know they aren't an Ovation, but I trust you guys, as you collectively know guitars much better than me.

I personally am leaning towards the Gibson, but any help appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-20 8:21 AM (#143342 - in reply to #143341)
Subject: Re: OT: Need some help!

What type of guitar is an "explorer"?
BrianT
Posted 2005-07-20 8:37 AM (#143343 - in reply to #143341)

One thing I have found in acquiring and selling guitars; I always seem to do better on the big recognized name brand models. This is especially true buying used, you can usually at least break even buying and later reselling a Gibson-Martin-Fender-Taylor-Ovation. Whereas the same is not always true with the off-brand Chinese and Korean stuff.

However, awhile ago I was looking at new hollow body electrics and I was amazed with what you could buy for $350 from Ibanez and Epiphone. I dont see how they can make something that nice and sell it for so cheap and stay in business.

And as shallow as it sounds, part of the fun of having a guitar (for me anyway) is knowing that I have the real, name recognized, thing. Yes the guitars may be phyiscally very close, but I like to see that famous label on the head stock.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-20 8:47 AM (#143344 - in reply to #143341)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
What type of guitar is an "explorer"?
This was the body style name Gibson gave the guitar in 1958. It's a solidbody electric. Several other brands have copied it over the years. Dillion was even sued by Gibson, as theirs was an exact copy.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-20 8:52 AM (#143345 - in reply to #143341)

Thanks Brian. I've been leaning towards the Gibson. Just have to see what I can afford too.
jasingram
Posted 2005-07-20 10:26 AM (#143346 - in reply to #143341)

I've heard Explorer referred to as the Bow-tie guitar, Kid.
xnoel
Posted 2005-07-20 11:40 AM (#143347 - in reply to #143341)

Hamer makes great guitars, go to their website and check out the Standard Custom (USA) or the Standard (China).
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-07-20 1:30 PM (#143348 - in reply to #143341)

Ditto on the Hamer standard ... but I think the only way to go is the USA model (unless it's just a throwaway for you). See if you can pick one up from either Al or off of eBay. I especially like the Korina ones.
alpep
Posted 2005-07-20 1:58 PM (#143349 - in reply to #143341)

korina just went up in price.
I have a couple of standards in stock with ghost flames which are very cool.

I can order whatever you want.
Strummin12
Posted 2005-07-20 3:59 PM (#143350 - in reply to #143341)

I love the looks of Explorers and Flying Vs, and had a Rany Rhoads style V once. The problem I find with playing them is that without a top horn (like a Strat) to rest against my chest while standing, the guitar tends to want to pivot around my waist and messes things up for me. If I don't concentrate on the keeping the guitar in the correct position with my left hand, I find the neck becomes a lever that easily pivots the guitar like a see saw against my waist, which then makes the fretboard a moving target. Idiot that I am, I have enough to concentrate on while playing guitar, especially with my left hand, I can't be bothered with think about where my guitar neck might be wandering off to while I'm playing. With a top horn (or bout like on an acoustic) a guitar is more stablized and rests against my stomach and ribs, and even if I apply pressure to the fretboard, it's not likely to pivot much at all.

Sounds crazy...I'm sure. Hold a broom stick against your waist in horizontal guitar playing position and you'll feel the sensation that I mean. It see-saws against your waist. A guitar is even more likely to pivot than a broom stick because your hands will not be holding a guitar in place with a grip, rather the weight of the guitar is supported by the strap while your fingers are busy, and the guitar is more or less free to swing around.

It's an experience hard to explain unless you've tried it...and I'm likely suffering from some level of insanity anyway. I just hated playing my flying V and sold it, as much as I love how it looked and sounded.

Really, in theory, a roundack Ovation does the same thing, the only difference is that your right forearm rests against the top edge of the body creating stability. With a thinner solid body guitar hanging at waist level, you don't get that stabilizing effect from your forearm.

I really suggest you try playing one of these style guitars standing up for a while and see if it's comfortable to play before you buy one. Of course you won't experience this pivoting if you're sitting... your leg and torso lend additional support to hold the guitar in place.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-20 5:37 PM (#143351 - in reply to #143341)

I've heard there are some problems with the V-type guitars, but haven't about the "explorer" style body. I have played (what little I know how) the explorer type with no problems. I guess there's just more to hold on to, than the V's. :rolleyes:
Designzilla
Posted 2005-07-20 5:47 PM (#143352 - in reply to #143341)

I guess it's a personal thing, I never had a problem with my V, except trying to play it while sitting down.

I have always liked the Explorer body style, it's a rock and roll classic!

I also really love the Firebirds! Haven't seen any copies of those (other than epiphone) though.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-21 6:45 AM (#143353 - in reply to #143341)

That's what I noticed, V's are kind of hard to play sitting down, unless they have a strap on them, then they are just like anything else. :)

Alpep, went and looked at the standards on your website, very nice, just can't afford that much. :(
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-07-21 8:27 AM (#143354 - in reply to #143341)

Count my vote as one for getting a Hamer USA if you can find one in your price range. If not, the Gibsons are decent. I have a vague memory of a Studio model Explorer being made, which would make it cheaper. ESP makes a killer Explorer style - the Hetfield model -- but the good one will probably cost you more than a Gibson.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-21 2:57 PM (#143355 - in reply to #143341)

I've done some looking around, and it seems most of the "explorer" type guitars are around $400-500 for the imports, and well over $1500 for the nicer US models. Granted a bargain can be found once in a while, so I'll keep looking, I'm sure I find something in the future. :)
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-25 7:27 AM (#143356 - in reply to #143341)

Just an update on this. I have purchased a Gibson Goth Explorer off eBay.

I have been assured by the owner that it is very nice with just the normal play wear on it. :)

I would like to thank everyone who responded to this, even if it wasn't an Ovation. Thanks guys. ;)
Designzilla
Posted 2005-07-25 7:48 AM (#143357 - in reply to #143341)

Congrats GC! Enjoy and give us an update when you get it.
Beal
Posted 2005-07-25 8:02 AM (#143358 - in reply to #143341)

With the Gibson you should be able to get your money back out when you want to sell it. The Hamer is a better guitar by a little bit. Enjoy it.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-25 11:23 AM (#143359 - in reply to #143341)

Thanks again guys.

I really liked the Hamer US Standards, but just couldn't afford one at this time. I didn't give a large amount for the Gibson, so the person selling it was happy, and I was happy. It is US made though, just not quite as pretty as most. :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)