The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Trekker & Travel

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-29 11:42 AM (#142365)
Subject: Trekker & Travel

I bought a Trekker from AL at the tour. I wanted something I did not have to treat like a piece of fine china and could carry on an airplane. I took on a week long trip out to Arizona and Utah.
Soundwise....well....it's a travel guitar. However it offers the best sound of the travel guitars I tried.
It fit in the overhead just fine. The temperatures ranged from 40 degrees at night to 107 in the day. It was 115 the one day we spent in Vegas. The trekker went in and out of airconditioning and spent many miles riding in a convertable with the top down. The big test was when I forgot and left it in the trunk while it was valet parked on a 115 degree afternoon. I'm glad to say that all is well.

One of the "must do" things at the Grand Canyon is to see as many sunsets and sunrises as you can. We got out to a viewing point about a half hour before sunrise. I took the Trekker, sat on an rock and finger-picked some minor chords. Just before the sun flashed over the horizon I capoed up a bit and started plinking on a D chord. At the first flare of light I broke into "Here Comes the Sun". It gave me goosebumps. Not that my playing is anything special, and a sunrise happens every day. But this was a right place / right time thing that just felt great. A lady behind me said, "Perfect...just perfect". A few people came up and thanked me for adding just a little extra to something so grand. It will always be one of my top guitar moments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2005-07-29 11:50 AM (#142366 - in reply to #142365)
Subject: Re: Trekker & Travel

Way cool Brad. Wish I could have been there for that one. I have been on the edge of the Grand Canyon for the sunrise about 35 years ago. Probably hasn't changed much. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing the moment with us.
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-29 11:54 AM (#142367 - in reply to #142365)

It's that collection of moments that are the more important parts of life. Thanks for sharing Brad!
willard
Posted 2005-07-29 12:30 PM (#142368 - in reply to #142365)

Brad,
Check out my gallery. There's a picture there from a long time ago at the same place, same time.
Your right, it's a magical moment.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-07-29 9:37 PM (#142369 - in reply to #142365)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I visited the Grand Canyon only once, and that was nine years ago. The sunrise was nice, but I prefer the sunsets better. I will never forget the day my wife (then fiance) and I hiked the Bright Angel trail, and end up eating watermelons after we ran out of water! Our naivete got in the best of us! Thankfully, the local folks were kind enough to sell them melons. It was also the very first time that I utilized a coin-operated shower ... those quarters definitely came in handy.

I would like to visit again someday. When the opportunity comes, I will bring a guitar along, and play a melody or two as I sit on a rock overlooking the marvelous scenery.

I currently have an LXM for a travel guitar. It held itself very well during my trip to the Poconos two weeks ago. It will see some action once again this coming Monday when I hit the road to spend three days in Williamsburg, VA with the family. I was fortunate enough to receive 5 free tickets to Busch Gardens, so I'm definitely taking full advantage of it! :D

Peace!
Gil
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-30 6:39 AM (#142370 - in reply to #142365)

Brad, Sounds like you had a great time. Sadly, I've lived in Arizona for 15 years and have never gone to the GC (grand canyon, not guitar center). If you get out this way again do two things 1) don't come in the summer, 2) come and visit the Southwest Ovation and Ukulele Museum. Dave
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-30 7:34 AM (#142371 - in reply to #142365)

Thanks for the invite Dave. Yeah...you got to get up there. It looks like we'll have to come back someday because we missed seeing Sedonia.
I hiked the Bright Angel trail, and end up eating watermelons after we ran out of water! Our naivete got in the best of us!
I'm reading book called "Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon". It's a very dangerous place! Many hikers have run out of water....and died!!!
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-07-30 7:30 PM (#142372 - in reply to #142365)

You're absolutely right about that one Brad. The elder from the small group of Native Americans that guided us back to the top told us that God spared our lives that day, otherwise we could've died.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-07-30 9:28 PM (#142373 - in reply to #142365)

Don't mean to get back on topic, but didn't I hear that they're discontinuing the Trekker?
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-31 11:10 AM (#142374 - in reply to #142365)

I think they are no longer installing pick-ups. Acoustic only now.
cruster
Posted 2005-07-31 9:06 PM (#142375 - in reply to #142365)

Eeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. (that's me hitting the 'browsing' brakes)

Sooo, the Trekker will still be available, but acoustic only? Will it be less expensive then? Still come with the chair and the carry bag? I'm non-seriously considering a 'beach' guitar. A non-amped O would be perfect. Hrmm...
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-01 6:04 AM (#142376 - in reply to #142365)

It still comes with chair and gig bag.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)