The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Celebrity vs Applause

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-08-06 5:06 PM (#141356)
Subject: Celebrity vs Applause

I'm wondering if there's a REAL difference between the two labels these days. Used to be you got nothing but junk from China, and Korea could produce good mid-range guitars. That's not true any more. Does Ovation spec a lower quality instrument from China than it does from Korea? Is the labor cost the only difference? Students need low cost guitars and I don't want to steer them toward bad ones. Any knowledge out there on this issue? John <>{
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-08-06 5:16 PM (#141357 - in reply to #141356)
Subject: Re: Celebrity vs Applause

I played an Applause AA35 12-string at a local shop a couple of months ago.....I was impressed with the sound of it for the price. One thing that does weigh into the price is that the electronics on the Applause is bare-bones(if it's there at all), to say the least.

From playing both late-model Applause and Celebrities, I'd say there is a tad more care taken with setup on the Celebrities, also. Just my opinion.

Roger
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-08-06 10:59 PM (#141358 - in reply to #141356)

I currently own an Applause that's made in China, and honestly, I'm quite pleased with it. I do prefer to play this guitar unplugged than when it is plugged in. Unplugged, the soft sound makes it the ideal instrument to practice with; to play in pseudo-private rooms without bothering neighbors (such as dorms or hotels), and in very small intimate gatherings. Plugged in, I don't even try to bother to meddle with the pickup's tone control for it can be overbearingly bright. I treat my Applause somewhat of a beater and it has/had its fair share of abuse from my students in the classroom -- given that I work with children with developmental disabilities -- and the guitar is one tough cookie!

I've tried a few Ovation Celebrities in various music shops in my local area, and I have been quite impressed with them. Also, some celebrities have the same pre-amps that are equipped in U.S. made Ovations.

Having/had the opportunity to play both Applauses and Celebrities, if money won't be an issue, I'd shoot for the Celebrity. Celebrities sells for what U.S.-made Ovations cost 10 to 15 years ago, the craftsmanship are fantastic (and it shows), they have a good tone, and most come equipped with pre-amps that can be found in their American siblings. The guitar makers in Korea must be doing something right ...

As for the Applause, for their thirftiness in price and looks, they are great. The way they're crafted are so nice, that by looks alone, people can think that you're playing a very expensive guitar, even thought it's not. The only thing I'm not happy about them are the electronics.

I'm not sure if I answered your inquiry ... hope it helps.

Peace!
Gil
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-07 5:24 AM (#141359 - in reply to #141356)

The biggest difference I see is that Kaman does a good job of letting applause have it's own identity. Own logo, own catalog, etc. For the money, applause is a great deal and a really good instrument. Dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)