The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Favorite acoustic guitar riff

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tommy M.
Posted 2005-07-22 12:41 PM (#143187 - in reply to #143137)
Subject: Re: Favorite acoustic guitar riff

"Amy" Pure Praire Legue. Key of A.
"Ill be Alright: Jorma Kakaukoen, Quah album.
key of D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TWA
Posted 2005-07-22 1:00 PM (#143188 - in reply to #143137)

"Love Alive" Heart (live acoustic version).
jyam4
Posted 2005-07-22 1:01 PM (#143189 - in reply to #143137)

"At Seventeen" Janis Ian
"Mother Nature's Son" Beatles
"I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song" Jim Croce
Joe
Corvairfan
Posted 2005-07-22 1:47 PM (#143190 - in reply to #143137)

Wish You Were Here
That Zeppelin tune..Hey lady you really got the love I need..

Dust in the Wind
Blackbird
Roundabout

I sometimes lapse into that Am7??? chord strums on Stairway to Heaven
Bailey
Posted 2005-07-23 1:35 AM (#143191 - in reply to #143137)

Just a question about the use of "Dust in the Wind" in a Suburu SUV ad, I always liked the song and to me the ad sounds better than it looks. The song gives it some class, I hope they are paying for it. Good or Bad????
beatlejuice53
Posted 2005-07-23 1:48 AM (#143192 - in reply to #143137)

By the way, FWIW, Rich Williams used an Ovation Classic on "Dust in the Wind", and the guitar solo during the tour when they recorded "Two for the Show".
Bill
cliff
Posted 2005-07-24 6:17 PM (#143193 - in reply to #143137)

". . I hope they are paying for it. Good or Bad???? . . . "

Y'betcher ASS they're payin' for it!
. . . and LOTS, too!!

G/B?

I dunno, . . one hand, it's "exposing" to a lot of (ahem) "yonger" people t'some great rock tunes whereby they might "search" and find out more, or else they might not get exposed to . . .

on the other foot . . .

. . . not sure if I can get used to the Zep/Cadillac, Who/Nissan, and so on . . .

. . . the worst for me EVER was when Ian Anderson sold that little fute melody from "ThickAsaBrick" to . . . KIA(?????)

Anderson later said about it in an interview that Kia approched HIM (and offered an INSANE amount of $) . . . . he figured "WTF??"

the album's not exactly "flying" off the shelves (although it does get an annoying lot of airplay on ClassRock stations . . . & y'can only put out SOmany "GreatistHits" compilations . . . . :rolleyes:
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-24 6:43 PM (#143194 - in reply to #143137)

Everyone needs a paycheck. Especially ageing rockers.
And it is getting this music to the ears of a new generation. When Brian and I play "The Weight" at the youthful Now & Zen Cafe it's recognized at that "song from the cell phone commercial".
an4340
Posted 2005-07-24 7:59 PM (#143195 - in reply to #143137)

One the best ads featuring an acoustic guitar was a Volkswagon Cab ad, with these kids riding in a car on summer night, song was Pink Moon by Nick Drake. Stange tuning. Made me go out and buy his album. Poor guy went bonkers. He should stayed around because the song made the commercial.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-07-24 8:43 PM (#143196 - in reply to #143137)

I always enjoyed the Nissan Z-car ad set to "You've Really Got Me" by Van Halen ... the one where G.I. Joe picks up Barbie and leaves Ken in the dust.
unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-07-27 12:03 AM (#143197 - in reply to #143137)

Originally posted by northcountry:
It's the newest song I have learned! It's fairly simple but it has a real "Hook" for me...I fell right in love with it after not hearing it for 20 years. It's a Live version of Led Zep's "That's the Way"

Randy
I just learned this tune the other day, it is kind of addicting. I've been learning a lot of Zep tunes on acoustic. Rain Song is very, very cool and easy too. I just learned Stairway for the first time (no solo though). That is fun to play. I’ve been puytting on Led Zep DVD, and playing that one with the band! I play When the Levee Breaks on acoustic, that's cool, as is Four Sticks (great mood to those two). Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is cool too. I've always liked Jimmy Page's acoustic stuff, well all his stuff, but me being a solely acoustic player, I appreciate those tunes. Zep definitely has some fun acoustic (or acoustic friendly) stuff.

Other stuff that I like to play would be Beatles tunes because they are my very fav band. Blackbird, Mother Natures Son is fun; Here Comes the Sun, of course is great for acoustic. I like Dear Prudence a lot. All things Must Pass is fun, as is the anthology acoustic version of something (similar to Rain Song). But I've really been getting into the Zeppelin stuff (my second fav band). The Zep tunes are a bit hypnotic which is cool.

Sorry I get carried away with the tunes I like (and can play!!). If I have to choose one from each band, I’ll say Here Comes the Sun and Stairway. I know they’re a bit thread bear, but there is a reason for that. Honorable Mention goes to Babe I’m Gonna Leave You.
Northcountry
Posted 2005-07-27 11:56 AM (#143198 - in reply to #143137)

Yep Zeppelin has me hooked again. I am working on some songs no one plays anymore. And it looks like the Band project I have going will be kind of different as well. I am primarily the Bassist for the band but our Guitarist and I have a real nice Acoustic set worked out now and it is impressive. (10 good songs) We both switch from 6 and 12 string acoustics as well as my Acoustic Bass and his mandolin now. He's a great flutist and we have two Jethro Tull songs mixed in. Keyboard player does some work as well. We have fairly good voices and the harmonies are surprising at times.
What I would not give to have someone else sing the Robert Plant & Jon Anderson stuff though the three of us all have the ability to come close and with a little help we can fake it pretty good but if we had an actual suprano singer we'd have it all sewn up!
Anyway Look deep in the Zeppelin stuff there's a lot of great acoustic music in there. Stairway is a fantastic song, no doubt, perhaps one of the masterpieces of our time! But it was played so so much on the radio it has been ruined as a band song for me.

Keep pickin

RAndy
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-27 12:53 PM (#143199 - in reply to #143137)

Stairways was one of the first, if not the first fingerpicking song I learned, back when it was new. I wrote down all the lyrics of songs I was learning then and had all this nonsense for Stairway. I figured I wasn't hearing them correctly on the lousy recording, probably off a scratchy record.
Recently I got the tab with the lyrics and I have both exactly correct. The lyrics are nonsense. Another one of those where the writer or the listener had to be on acid. Still fun to play, but I never got the solo down.
tpa
Posted 2005-07-30 9:06 AM (#143200 - in reply to #143137)

Hmm riffs ...

Al DiMeola did it a few times - probably using an Ovation :) . What about "Mediterranean Sundance" from Elegant Gypsy (1977).

Several heavy rock tunes owes it to a well played acoustic guitar Osbournes "Mama, I'm coming Home" is one.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-07-30 8:26 PM (#143201 - in reply to #143137)

I tend to like the following:

1) "Plush" (acoustic version) by Stone Temple Pilots -- unfortunately, I only managed to be able to play the intro, but not the song :(

2) "Bittersweet" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters -- I like the simpleness of this song ... nothing too complex, yet nice to hear.

3) "More To This Life" by Stephen Curtis Chapman -- another simple riff, and the entire song is just inspirational ... 'nuff said. :)

4) "Closer To The Heart" by Rush -- after all these years, I still like this song, but just like #1, I could only play the intro to it :(

5) "My My Hey Hey" (from Rust Never Sleeps) by Neil Young -- such a fun song to play, and I learned early on that any acoustic-wielding axeman with the feel for rock and roll can really rock! ;)

That's it for now ... I might add more later.

Peace!
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2005-07-30 11:52 PM (#143202 - in reply to #143137)

Fave acoustic guitar riffs... Hmmmm... In no particular order:

1) Needle and the Damage Done -- Neil Young
2) Norwegian Wood -- The Beatles
3) Monkberry Moon Delight -- Paul McCartney (from Ram)
4) Over The Hills and Far Away -- Zep
5) Aqualung -- Jethro Tull
6) Here Comes the Sun -- Beatles
karmanng
Posted 2005-08-01 11:33 AM (#143203 - in reply to #143137)

For me, outside of the most recent Lindsy Buckingham live version ( the Dance ) of Big, big love, I think it's gotta be Jorma on "The Water Song" by Hot Tuna. It just rings and rings - and sounds much deeper on the album than the CD.
Check it out. I think there's an open tuning there.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)