The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
SUMMERGRASS in San Diego

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2005-08-07 1:34 AM (#141346)
Subject: SUMMERGRASS in San Diego

Bluegrass Music Festival Aug 26-28.
INFO

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-07 1:44 AM (#141347 - in reply to #141346)
Subject: Re: SUMMERGRASS in San Diego

Tony, I may just need a break from the heat. This sounds interesting. I'll let you know if driving your way. Dave
Bailey
Posted 2005-08-07 1:57 AM (#141348 - in reply to #141346)

Tony

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like Bluegrass is still alive in San Diego. San Diego is home of the best climate in the USA and, when combined with a Bluegrass festival it makes for a very close approximation of NIRVANA.

Bailey
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-08-07 2:25 AM (#141349 - in reply to #141346)

Bailey,

Was thinking of you when I picked up the magazine today at GC. From what I understand, this is the result of the work you and others did in earlier years. :)

Email me your address and I will mail to you...or you can read all of the articles on line.

Need to start checking out the monthly schedules - Ian Tyson is in a small venue Wednesday...that would be a good time.
Bailey
Posted 2005-08-07 3:02 AM (#141350 - in reply to #141346)

Tony

Thanks for thinking of me, your post has sort of made my day as a reminder of bluegrass in San Diego in the 70s.

A few names of those who participated, Taylor, of guitar fame, Deering, of banjo fame, Stelling, ditto, Stuart Duncan, a 13 year old prodigy who played with every band that counted and is now one of the top fiddle players in Nashville, winner of instrumentalist of the year a few times, and in modern days, Nickle Creek.

The lions Club used to have a fiddle and banjo contest in Julian that brought in 10,000 people more than doubling Julian's size for a day or two. Our Poway bluegrass band played in one of those, we didn't win but the applause was deafening when we swung into a folk rock version of Earl's Breakdown flatpicked on the banjo and guitar cause we didn't look like a typical bluegrass band because of some of our bands long hair and beards. That's what they loved anyway, most of the 10,000 in the audience looked like us so we were very popular when we walked off the stage and got invited to many parties that the more traditionals probably didn't.

I spent the best years of my life jamming at Poway Lake on sundays with a bunch of people who loved mandolins and banjos.

Thanks for the memories.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)