The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
adding magnetic pickups to an ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

sirdaniel
Posted 2005-08-16 7:30 AM (#140588)
Subject: adding magnetic pickups to an ovation

I have a doubleneck celebrity that I want to add a magnetic pup to the 6 string side. Obviously, it's not a round holer, so I either need a surface mount, or I need to ROUTE.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm not afraid to route it IF I know it's been done before and worked. I figured that a Hamer newport is a spruce top with a phatcat pup. It couldn't be all that much different.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2005-08-16 7:40 AM (#140589 - in reply to #140588)
Subject: Re: adding magnetic pickups to an ovation

If it is a certian sound you are after I would manipulate that after the output. To use the magnetic Pickup you would have to run steel strings vice the acoustic strings and frankly the double neck is an acoustic guitar, not a solidbody electric. Any mod like that would just look wrong.

Build a doubleneck solid if you need to but I wouldn't drastically change or cut into the double neck acoustic.
There are so many effects gizmos out there to try first. You'll get a unique sound if you want it.
Frets
Posted 2005-08-16 7:55 AM (#140590 - in reply to #140588)

I agree. I am using a magnetic sound hole pickup because the electronics on my old Matrix are very weak and high pitched. I'm working on that with a friend. But in the meantime, I actually like the tone coming from the Seymour Duncan pickup I'm using and I didn't have to alter the guitar as mine has a soundhole.

Why are you looking to add the mag pickup?

Alan
sirdaniel
Posted 2005-08-16 9:29 AM (#140591 - in reply to #140588)

I want to be able to go from 12 string acoustic to 6 string acoustic to 6 string electric (and maybe 12 string electric) and have them both on at once also.

Bill mentioned a "wafer thin" dimarzio humbucker, but I can't find it anywhere
Frets
Posted 2005-08-16 9:34 AM (#140592 - in reply to #140588)

Ah, I get it, be able to get both electric and acoustic sounds from the 6 string and mebbe the 12 string.... Frankenstein lives LOL.

Hey, sounds like fun but unfortunately, I have no knowledge about what that would take. I have seen some interesting guitars that do that like Peavey has an electric that "emulates" an acoustic and I think Taylor just put out something called a T-5 that I think has that capability but a two headed beast... wow!

Good Luck
sirdaniel
Posted 2005-08-16 11:19 AM (#140593 - in reply to #140588)

in a perfect world, a "glue or tape on" magnetic pup so it's not permanent and so I can find the sweet spot. Ideally, it would have a volume control on it too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)