The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
favorite ovation dealers??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

jyam4
Posted 2005-08-08 10:17 PM (#142215 - in reply to #142190)
Subject: Re: favorite ovation dealers??

Gil:

That was some deal you got!!! They actually threw in all that other stuff for free? The Boss tuner alone, if I remember correctly, is about $80.00. My deal with them wasn't as good, but one thing that I did get like you, was a NEW guitar, not a display model. When you're buying from a store, you have to insist on a fresh one. Buying a display model is like buying a used guitar. I didn't go for the "set-up" plan, because I do my own setups. It's not bad though because I think the strings are free. Are they?

Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-08-09 1:29 AM (#142216 - in reply to #142190)

Joe and Dave:

That was definitely one awesome deal, and they really threw in all that stuff for free -- no kidding! I didn't realize it at that time, but you are right about the price of the tuner when I checked it out from a Musician's Friend catalog. What really made the deal insane was that my wife and I were about to walk out the door when the sales rep chased us and gave us the offer that's just too good to pass up. I bought the MDM for $675 (plus tax), and gave away all those freebies. When I purchased the LXM one year later at the same store, the freebies weren't even close to that one, so I'm sure that it would never be replicated ever again.

According to the service receipts from the set-ups, so far, the frets had been filed and cleaned, replaced the nut, filed it and widen the spaces in between strings, filed the saddle, adjusted the neck, and replaced with new strings of my choice. The only thing I paid extra were the strings (of my choice), which is about 5 to 6 bucks plus tax. I only use either D'addario EXP13 or Martin SP phosphor bronze (custom light: 11-52) strings on all my guitars ... whichever is cheaper.

I normally don't take the guitars for set-ups unless it is necessary. I had one year where I didn't take it for a set-up at all, and the only work I did to it was replace the strings. When I do need to take it for a set-up, I usually bring it to the shop, at least, twice per year ... mostly from fret buzz, or when the action suddenly gets a little bit high -- the first time would be in the winter months (from December to February), then the second time would be around early to late spring to early summer (around April to June).

One thing I do know, after picking up the guitars (both the DM and the LXM) from getting set-up, the actions on them are quite low, no buzz, and they're very comfortable to play with. So far, I've been pleased with the outcome(s), so I don't mind it at all. To service both guitars for two years for 55 bucks, I think is pretty good, considering that the cost for just one set-up alone goes for at least 30 to 35 bucks in these parts.

Of all my guitars, only the Martins and the Applause have made more than two trips to the shop for set-ups. My balladeer had two set-ups in its first three months of ownership and it never needed once since.

Peace!
Gil
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-09 1:34 AM (#142217 - in reply to #142190)

Sounds like they really impressed you. That's great. I wish more dealers would recognize how much value there is in thrilling a customer. Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-08-09 2:55 AM (#142218 - in reply to #142190)

old days...Marty's Guitar in Portland, OR.

not only would he offer me a guitar he brought back from NAMM each year (at an unbelievable price)...he treated you as one of his family...as he and his wife became part of your family.

yep, mom and pop.
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-09 6:30 AM (#142219 - in reply to #142190)

You from Stumptown, uh, I mean the City of Roses, Tony?
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-08-09 10:19 AM (#142220 - in reply to #142190)

let's just say the Willamette Valley...living last in West Linn.
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-09 10:30 AM (#142221 - in reply to #142190)

I hear ya. I haven't lived in Portland for 12 years. Even though I work there (42 miles) I live out near Molalla.

If you need a laugh, they changed the city nickname a few years ago.
Now it's "The City That Works". Talk about ironic. Especially when it's painted on a service truck parked blocking traffic with some city worker sitting on the fender stuffing a donut in his face.
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-08-09 11:13 AM (#142222 - in reply to #142190)

Colton, Molalla, Estacada, Canby, Woodburn, etc. - been there and played against either the football team and/or the golf team (younger years).
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-09 3:00 PM (#142223 - in reply to #142190)

Lovely rural Clackamas county!
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-08-09 4:54 PM (#142224 - in reply to #142190)

Best Ovation dealer in the Detroit area is Motor City Guitar in Waterford Township, IMHO. They carry a decent selection, even of the better models(last time I was there they had an ADII, an Adamas CVT, a 6778LX, a 1777 and a 1771LX, in addition to 5 Celebrities and a couple of Applauses), and are second to none on price. They were $74 under Guitar Center and $90 under Elderly for a 1771LX last time I was there.

You DO have to put up with looking at a wall full of Taylors, but you do at about any big guitar store now.

Roger
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)