The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
bridge warp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Waskel
Posted 2005-08-15 9:25 AM (#140690)
Subject: bridge warp

I'm going to be looking at a early 70's 1617-4 here locally. Haven't seen pics or the guitar yet, but the owner says it has a 'bit of warp' in the top, described as less than 1/4". Kind of like the bridge has rolled towards the neck a little bit, raised behind it and dropped in front of it.
I haven't seen this in Ovations before. He says it hasn't changed in ten years and doesn't affect the action or playability.

For $300 OBO, is this fixable, ignoreable, or a reason to avoid this guitar?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-15 9:39 AM (#140691 - in reply to #140690)
Subject: Re: bridge warp

I would be concerned about intonation. It may play great but if the saddle has rolled toward the nut it might have an effect on it that way.
And I'm just guessing. Maybe we'll hear from someone who really knows.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-08-15 10:20 AM (#140692 - in reply to #140690)

I've seen this in older Ovations. Doesn't seem to affect the intonation (heck, I don't play above the 3rd fret anyway).
ChatMan
Posted 2005-08-15 10:29 AM (#140693 - in reply to #140690)

I'd agree with Mr. Moody. I just got a 70's Balladeer with this same issue. I don't notice any intonation issue. It seems to play fine and the tone is absolutely killer. I actually bought this based on statements made by GN-Nick. I was a little disappointed at the undisclosed top issue and could have sent it back, but the deal was pretty good, and the sound has no comparison. The top almost sounds brittle. Since it is not CA I don't worry a lot about intonation. And I'm tellin' ya, if the one you see has tone anywhere near mine, you'll have to go out and find some Missippi John Hurt tabs and commence to playing the acoustic blues.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)