The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
KOALA plugged in sound (VIP)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

rpguitar
Posted 2007-10-29 9:23 PM (#77361 - in reply to #77336)
Subject: Re: KOALA plugged in sound (VIP)

FOLLOW UP...

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I wanted to post a "what happened next" regarding the trouble I was having with amplifying my Koala. It's good news!

It comes down to the importance of strings and setup. Not just importance - criticality. With some guitars it's all the difference. I guess this is one of them.

I filed down the nut because it was too damn high, especially at the bass side. I reset it because it was also shifted to the treble side, and the high 'E' slipped off the board too easily. Next, I experimented with shims. One full size and one thin shim and the action is great. Previously, I had one full and a piece of a thin shim only on the treble side. Maybe (??) that was an issue.

Finally, and this is the major improvement: La Bella Criterion Golden Alloy strings, set C500S (.012"-.052"). These replaced a set of Martin SP Phosphor Bronzes that are my normal standard. Well, the Criterions are smooth and slinky as can be, and they sound amazing on the guitar! I can't believe the difference. It is manifested both acoustically and when plugged in.

I can now have bass and mid flat with the treble a little attenuated, and it sounds controllable. I can mellow it even more if I like of course, but this setting was totally harsh and gritty with everything set up the way it was previously.

A damn fine guitar she is now! Not for sale... was thinking about it, but time to get to know her for real now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)