The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ground issue on Elite 6868: SOLVED!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

TBone
Posted 2016-02-17 1:27 PM (#522294)
Subject: Ground issue on Elite 6868: SOLVED!

So....as some of you who use the search function may know I've had a terrible issue with a bad ground in my trusty gigging Elite 6868 for some time now. I decided to try to buy a new preamp and just start from scratch. But the other day I was snowed in and had time on my hands, so I decided to delve into the problem.

After taking all the electronics out and testing EVERYTHING, it turns out the issue was on the bridge: There's a little tiny post on the base of the bridge that I assume is the ground hub, and the wire was barely touching it. So I cut the shrink tube off, spliced down to some fresh wire, and resoldered the ground to the base post. There's still a VERY tiny hum, if I crank it to major levels, but it's so minor that I can live with it and be ok gigging until I can find a replacement bridge/pickup. (anyone have one for sale?

So, just in case anyone else out there has been dealing with a band ground, check that little ground post on the base of the pickup...that did the trick.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nancy
Posted 2016-02-17 4:03 PM (#522295 - in reply to #522294)
Subject: RE: Ground issue on Elite 6868: SOLVED!

Congratulations T-Bone!!! Well Done!!
tpa
Posted 2016-02-17 4:14 PM (#522299 - in reply to #522294)
Subject: RE: Ground issue on Elite 6868: SOLVED!

TBone - 2016-02-17 1:27 PM
... until I can find a replacement bridge/pickup. (anyone have one for sale?

So, just in case anyone else out there has been dealing with a band ground, check that little ground post on the base of the pickup...that did the trick.

Thanks for the tip. Regarding replacement pickup you could try at the factory (Mini-mother) If no luck, Shadow most probably has a drop in replacement (e.g SH066-9 if it is the wide style pickup).
TBone
Posted 2016-02-23 9:53 AM (#522436 - in reply to #522294)
Subject: Re: Ground issue on Elite 6868: SOLVED!

UPDATE!

I initially thought the problem was the OP-24 preamp, so on a whim, I emailed Ovation through the website. I didn't expect much, seeing as how the website is still outdated.
BUT...
A few days later I got an email back from a fellow named John Budny at Ovation, letting me know he may be able to find a gently used one if I needed one. I told him the problem was the bridge, and asked if it was possible to purchase a replacement. 3 days later, a brand new bridge/pickup shows up at my house, free of charge! Whoever is running things at Ovation now is on the ball. THAT'S what I call superior customer service!!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-02-23 10:41 AM (#522438 - in reply to #522294)
Subject: Re: Ground issue on Elite 6868: SOLVED!

Customer service has always been on the ball. That hasn't changed. There are many stories on this forum about similar responses from John and I've had a couple of similar experiences, myself. Ovation customer service is the example of what we all hope for when we buy a product.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)