The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Standing on the shoulders of giants

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

PLAVIN
Posted 2015-10-20 5:54 AM (#516397)
Subject: Standing on the shoulders of giants

First post and it's a doozy

I'm the proud owner of a pair of Elites 1858 and 1868 that are about 25 years old, the six string has been a favourite for all those years. An angel could use my twelve as a suitable replacement for a harp! I'm delighted to hear that the New Hartford factory is reopening and hope that the skilled workforce can be re-employed.

Personally, I've made a few folk instruments: a couple lap harps, a kantele, and with an octave mandolin in the works. However, I'm about to take a major step with the guidance of a superb local luthier and make a "Nashville" 12 string inspired by the Loef Sylva https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0euad_6G9a
and the Adamas... and the king of jingle jangle folk rock, Roger McGuinn.

My project is bit smaller than my Elites but a touch bigger than a standard parlour guitar. The top fabrication is under way. Carbon fibre 0.25mm/ Nomex honeycomb 1/8in cell x 2mm/Carbon fibre 0.25mm. Bracing is a la the Adamas with symmetrical upper and lower sound ports just a bit modified (two omitted) from the standard Elite/Adamas upper bout's configuration. I'm thinking that perhaps the fan bracing will be bamboo, the under-bridge lateral in walnut. Still "doing the math"!

There's no way I can duplicate the Adamas suspension top but will endeavour to shape my cherry top kerfing as an arch as opposed to the usual triangular blocks. I'm thinking of using silicone cement to mimic, at least in part, the composite moulding that Ovation used to de-couple the top from the sides.

A luthery breakthrough or a valiant flop? Time will tell

Pictures to follow.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2015-10-20 7:02 AM (#516400 - in reply to #516397)
Subject: RE: Standing on the shoulders of giants

Now those should be some interesting pictures!

Welcome aboard!

PLAVIN
Posted 2015-10-20 10:49 AM (#516417 - in reply to #516400)
Subject: RE: Standing on the shoulders of giants

Right now the TBA guitar is a pile of parts, templates and materials. Gluing to commence shortly - those procedure pix will be interesting indeed. I am just awaiting the 2mm spruce reinforcement to go under the bridge. Epaulet reinforcements will be birch/balsa ply.

But here's a pic of my inspirations

Paul
Damon67
Posted 2015-10-20 12:51 PM (#516420 - in reply to #516397)
Subject: Re: Standing on the shoulders of giants

Welcome Paul,

I've updated your status to full member. Feel free to jump into one of the other sections and post your progress. I'm sure there will be several interested parties.

And FWIW, I love me some 1858/68s

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)