The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Mysterious 1655 custom balladeer 12 string

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Lazarus Hart
Posted 2013-03-11 1:15 AM (#468240)
Subject: Mysterious 1655 custom balladeer 12 string

I just dug a 1655 (NOT a 1755) custom balladeer 12 string from the mid-1980's out of my dad's basement. The 1655 isn't listed in the official Ovation archives, but it appears to be quite similar to the 1755, which is.

Question One: Do you know why the 1655 doesn't exist in the archives even though I've been playing it in my living room for the last 3 weeks?

Question Two: Is this a special vintage collectors item with special features (ebony fingerboard, etc) that I couldn't find in Balladeers or Elite 12 strings from the last 15 years or so?

Question Two B: how would the electronics from the mid 80's compare to those from the 2000's?

Question Three: I've measured the nut and I swear it's no more than 1-3/4", and maybe only 1-11/16". The narrow neck makes it a challenge to play fingerstyle. Are there any Ovation 12 strings--current or discontinued--that would work better for fingerpicking if my right hand can't adapt to this instrument in a month or two? I'd like to limit my spending to $2-300 plus whatever I can get for the custom balladeer if I decide I can't keep it. Which brings me to...

Question Four: What would the resale or trade-in value be for a 1655 custom balladeer 12 string? I see used 1755's going for as much as $600 and even $700 on Craigslist.

I'm intrigued by this guitar and I hope my right hand can adapt to it. I have a hand-made spruce-and-rosewood Steven Anderson 6-string that I wouldn't sell at any price, but, if I can't shell out a couple thousand for a well made solid wood 12 string, I'd rather have a carbon fiber instrument that does a good job of being carbon fiber instrument than a plywood (sorry, I mean laminate) instrument that tries to be solid wood and fails.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-03-11 4:22 AM (#468242 - in reply to #468240)
Subject: Re: Mysterious 1655 custom balladeer 12 string

Question One: Do you know why the 1655 doesn't exist in the archives even though I've been playing it in my living room for the last 3 weeks?

Not every guitar makes it into the archives.

Question Two: Is this a special vintage collectors item with special features (ebony fingerboard, etc) that I couldn't find in Balladeers or Elite 12 strings from the last 15 years or so?

I think that they were only made in the 80's...
Patch sold one last year

Question Two B: how would the electronics from the mid 80's compare to those from the 2000's?

I think that the 1655 just has a single knob, which sound fine... And the batteries last forever.

Question Four: What would the resale or trade-in value be for a 1655 custom balladeer 12 string? I see used 1755's going for as much as $600 and even $700 on Craigslist.

Not every asking price is an actual selling price. What a guitar is worth is what the buyer will pay on that day, and what the seller is willing to accept.

Meanwhile...
Hang-around Lazarus, someone will be along eventually to grant you access.
Lazarus Hart
Posted 2013-03-11 7:09 PM (#468258 - in reply to #468240)
Subject: RE: Mysterious 1655 custom balladeer 12 string

Thanks for responding to my questions so soon, Arthur! Between you and the FAQ, I've figured out there might be a 6 or $700 dollar ceiling on my guitar's resale value, but whether I could get anywhere close to that depends on too many factors to be predictable.

Not that I'm settled on selling it. I just found a youtube video of someone doing some nice fingerstyle on a 12 string elite, so I know at least one person plays an ovation 12 string finger style. (here's the url, if anyone else wants inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJCABvL-ACc). Ovations really do amplify well.

Sometimes I can fingerpick the 1655 without a hitch, and sometimes I can't. Guess I'll keep doing arpeggio exercises until my right hand adapts or gives up.

Does anyone know if this old custom balladeer has a narrower neck than the 1-7/8" elite I saw? Something I'll need to know in a month or two, when I decide whether to trade it in or keep it.

TAFKAR
Posted 2013-03-11 10:33 PM (#468263 - in reply to #468240)
Subject: Re: Mysterious 1655 custom balladeer 12 string

"Custom Balladeer" used to be the term they used before they renamed that as "Legend", however that happened sometime before 1982, as my old Legend was a 1982 model. It's possible that this is a custom-made Balladeer, as the original buyer may have wanted a narrow neck - this would have been an an easy custom build, as they could have used a standard Balladeer 6 string neck and attached it to the 12 string body. Generally, Ovation 12 strings have a 1 7/8" nut.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)