The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
HELP! 1127 questions - need your expert advice!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

lgiannelli
Posted 2013-01-21 2:35 AM (#464412)
Subject: HELP! 1127 questions - need your expert advice!

Hi all! So glad I found this cite! My dad gave me a new 1127-4 when I was 12. It's been sitting in its case for years. According to everything I've read in your forums, I'm guessing it was produced around 1970? I remember it looked like Glen Campbell was playing the same model on his show (textured bowl, regular bridge, plain rectangular white paper label, New Hartford, Conn, model 1127-4, serial 5329, Made in the USA on bottom of label, plain black/grey typing of model & serial number)

Anyway, I don't know anything about guitars except that I used to play. It fell over more than a few times, and I knew the top of the head was pretty dinged up. But I opened it up today and was disturbed to find that it appears the wood is actually cracking pretty badly from front to back, from the bottom of the lowest tuning knob almost all the way around the back, behind the nut where the neck bends into the head. Can this happen for no apparent reason? (Is this a common or normal occurance in old ovations?)

The guitar still sounds good and the head feels solid, but I'm worried it will get worse if I don't do something about it. The wood has actually splintered and you can feel it with your fingers (the finish is not smooth anymore, and the splintered wood feels raised, as if the pressure from the strings is pulling the head forward).

So my question is, can this be repaired? Can it be glued and refinished - or is it beyond hope? Should I loosen the strings? I don't want to spend a lot of money sending it back to the factory if you experts out there tell me it's really beyond hope of repair (or it will cost too much and it won't be worth it).

Your advice please?
Thank you very much!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-01-21 3:52 AM (#464414 - in reply to #464412)
Subject: Re: HELP! 1127 questions - need your expert advice!

Hello and welcome.
Pictures would help but the short answer is that it sounds repairable. As far as "Can this happen for no apparent reason?" no, not for no apparent reason, but it sounds like it was given most every reason. The point where the headstock meets the neck is the most vulnerable part of the guitar. It's the more narrow point and receives a large amount of stress just having strings on it. Add the weight of the tuners and " It fell over more than a few times, and I knew the top of the head was pretty dinged up. " is asking a bit much. You also asked if you should loosen the strings and while they shouldn't be "loose" as that has other affects, detuning a step or two if a guitar is going to be stored for a long period of time keeps some pressure on the neck to keep it straight, but not as much as being tuned to normal pitch. The idea is that during temperature and humidity changes if the strings tighten, they won't over-tighten if it's detuned a little. I usually detune around one step..

Your best bet is to contact ovation customer service. Their prices are reasonable/competitive and they truly are the only ones that really know how to fix it properly. I had a similar situation with a 12-String that was dropped. Unless you look at it very closely, the repair is hard to see, certainly not noticeable.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-01-21 4:13 AM (#464416 - in reply to #464412)

And if "The wood has actually splintered and you can feel it with your fingers (the finish is not smooth anymore, and the splintered wood feels raised, as if the pressure from the strings is pulling the head forward)" you probably should loosen the strings a note or two NOW.

Go to... http://www.ovationguitars.com/support/customer_service and get the phone number and call them on Tuesday. (Monday is MLK Day and they might be closed)
And I would recommend calling them instead of just emailing them.

And if your Dad gave you the guitar it is worth saving.
MWoody
Posted 2013-01-21 11:57 AM (#464422 - in reply to #464412)

Just sitting in the case for a long period the guitar is still subject to humidity and temperature changes. These can have a negative effect and cause issues, and since we don't notice for a long time the issues can compound.

The wood and the finish can expand/contract at different rates with temp and humidity.

Loosen the strings and get a qualified assessment.
There is nobody more qualified than Customer Service at Ovation and they can provide the most economical results.

My guess would be for a full recovery.
lgiannelli
Posted 2013-01-21 11:59 PM (#464429 - in reply to #464412)
Subject: RE: HELP! 1127 questions - need your expert advice!

Thanks so much guys for taking the time to respond & for your advice. I REALLY appreciate it! feels good to have some hope it can be repaired. I will follow your advice & call tomorrow.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)