The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Pre-Amp problem

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

DReyno
Posted 2012-12-22 4:14 PM (#463424)
Subject: Pre-Amp problem

Here is what lead me to this forum:

I am a longtime acoustic player. First Ovation then Martin. Never amplified, so I do not fully understand the mechanics involved. I bought my daughter an Ultra in 2007. With an OP Pro pre-amp/tuner.

It has been a great guitar.....until

She plays in church at college and has not been able to get the guitar to play throught the systems they use. These are sound systems for rooms of about 300-500. So I imagine the are high-power. She says the input is via "XLR" input. Battery is good. Cables are good.

I thought maybe her input plug had developed an incontinuity where then insertion of the cable did not switch the preamp on. However, I hooked the guitar into a peavy acoustic amp and a Behringer Digital amp and have not problems. So continuity is good.

Took it to Guitar Center--CND (Can Not Duplicate)

Any Ideas? She is getting frustrated having to borrow her cousin's Taylor--a fine guitar, just not her Ovation. I am beyond my knowledge.

Dave Reynolds
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-12-22 4:23 PM (#463425 - in reply to #463424)
Subject: RE: Pre-Amp problem

I'm not familiar with the specific guitar but if I understand correctly the guitar has a standard jack and board needs an XLR?  If that is the case, simple solution...  DI-BOx.   I highly recommended this one for it's construction and features.   Just insure the attenuation switches are set correctly... just a gotcha from experience  but I carry at least two of these at any live sound event for a variety of reasons...

Behringer Ultra-DI 100 

DReyno
Posted 2012-12-23 3:50 PM (#463478 - in reply to #463424)
Subject: Re: Pre-Amp problem

I am not sure if that will help since I don't fully understand the problem. The guitar is a 2007 Ovation Ultra, model 2071. If I understand the setup, my daughter plugs a standard male cable (1/4" into her guitar. She plugs into a DI box. Which interfaces with the board. When she uses a DI box--as opposed to a straight analog system like we have at home--her guitar is not amplified. Her cousin's Taylor is. Is it possible needs a new OP module?

[BTW, for others and Mr Ovation: what does a DI Box do?]
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-12-23 4:20 PM (#463479 - in reply to #463424)

If the 1/4" cable works at home, but doesn't work at church... It is not the guitar's fault.
It is the set-up at church's fault.

If the OP-Pro works at home, and the tuner works... It works.

Bring your amp from home to church.

Oh... And a DI Box takes a 1/4" cable and converts it to run through a PA system via an XLR jack.
You plug into the DI box, and then plug a mic cable into the box and run it to the PA.

Apparently the box she is using is at fault.
TAFKAR
Posted 2012-12-23 7:28 PM (#463485 - in reply to #463424)

OMA's answer sounds good, but did you say her cousin's guitar worked through the same DI box?
DReyno
Posted 2012-12-24 12:35 PM (#463504 - in reply to #463424)

Yes. Other guitars work through the same DI box in the same session. So I wonder if there is a critical power threshold that is not being provided.

Dave

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-12-24 12:41 PM (#463505 - in reply to #463424)

This may sound odd, but have you tries other guitar cables between her guitar and the DI. Like get someone elses guitar to work, then disconnect the cable from the other guitar (guitar end) and connect to her guitar. There could be a bur or slight design difference in her cable and it's not seating properly. There is no "power threshold" it's actually all quite simple so don't complicate it. All the DI is doing really is matching impedance.
DReyno
Posted 2012-12-24 10:20 PM (#463524 - in reply to #463424)

No, that does not sound odd. It makes sense as it removes one more variable. As far as making it too complicated, it all is. I work in a technical job, but sound and the associated electronics are foreign to me.

Dave
DReyno
Posted 2012-12-24 10:25 PM (#463525 - in reply to #463424)

Off topic, but still an interesting story. I bought my First Ovation in about 1979. It was a Matrix. Had a plastic neck and an aluminum fingerboard. Cost $300. I wore the neck out in less than a year. I wrote Ovation and they said send it back. So I did and what returned was the same guitar with the fingerboard changed from aluminum to wood. I loved that guitar. It still is in the family.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)