The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
UPS worries

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2004-04-14 6:15 PM (#189935)
Subject: UPS worries

I had decided that I worried to much about shiping damage. Now I have my doubts again. I have sold 10 items on e-bay. The last two I items shipped arrived D.O.A.
I could not insure my Balladeer for what it is worth to me. I had planned to sent it to the factory for a neck reset after I get an LX.
Here's an idea. I can send it to the factory next January. Then, pick it up myself at the next OFC tour. That way if UPS damage happens, at least it is in the right location.
Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-04-14 6:31 PM (#189936 - in reply to #189935)
Subject: Re: UPS worries

I ship UPS almost ever other day.
If you pack the item well it should get there in one piece.
remember with electronic items there are tons of whores out there that will buy your working item and replace a blown up part and tell you yours was shipped doa.
I wish the world was not filled with these folks but it is.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-04-14 6:36 PM (#189937 - in reply to #189935)

Al,
The last item I sent was electronic. Maybe that is what is going on. Anyway, I'm learning some e-bay lessons. Thanks for the advise.
Brad
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-14 7:04 PM (#189938 - in reply to #189935)

Just FYI - not totally on topic, but it fits a little.

I've shipped LOTS of old amps, and learned my lesson (the hard way).

If you ship and older amp - or even a new one if you REALLY want to play it safe.... Ya gotta take out the speaker. Remove it from the baffle. It aint a bad idea to remove the chassis from the cabinet too if you have a medium to large amp. Send it all seperately.... trust me on this. Three boxes - cabinet, speakers, chassis. Its the only way to get it there in one piece.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-04-14 8:07 PM (#189939 - in reply to #189935)

Hopefully, UPS won't screw up the 1658 that Ovation is finishing the repair due to UPS. Nils has obvious damage to box, case, and guitar and they have yet to come out to inspect. Some people say "You get what you pay for" - unfortunately, we do not get what we pay for. After they damage the item, no apologies, then they add insult to injury by deliberate attempts to avoid payment.

However, not just UPS. USPS just delivered a large envelope from the great guys and gals at Ovation - 4" tear on one side, several items with wet edges. No, no rain in San Diego.

As long as the shipper and the individual employees are not held responsible...cross your fingers. I am, I have a CA and a FD-14 coming to me now BY UPS!!! Buy insurance? Great chance you will never collect and if you do, it will probably be less than your claim with no explanation why. Heck with it, I'm going to go get some brandy...
Slipkid
Posted 2004-04-14 8:50 PM (#189940 - in reply to #189935)

Sorry I brought it up.
There is no need to spread worrys again.
There is nothing to see here.
Everyone just go to your homes.
Everything is just fine.
Brad
Nils
Posted 2004-04-15 9:53 AM (#189941 - in reply to #189935)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
Everything is just fine.
Brad

No it isn't. United Parcel Smashers sucks donkey balls. I've been getting the run-around from those A-holes for nearly a month.

/\/\/
seesquare
Posted 2004-04-15 10:11 AM (#189942 - in reply to #189935)

Got a guitar arriving by UPS today. I'll post a report- pro or con. I've been comparatively lucky, I guess. Only one calamity out of about a hundred shipments- UPS, USPS, & FedEx, combined.
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-04-15 11:36 AM (#189943 - in reply to #189935)

Perhaps, I've been lucky also, but I've bought and sold about 15 guitars on eBay, and one amp (Crate CA125D), and I have never had a problem with UPS. Not only have all the items arrived intact, but they have also been delivered on the exact scheduled delivery date. Just today I received a 1117 Legend from UPS that was sent cross country from CA to NY. There is not even a mark on the shipping box. Like many other things, 99.9% of the time things go right, but when they don't :eek: !! The odds are that shipping by UPS will go well.
seesquare
Posted 2004-04-16 9:47 AM (#189944 - in reply to #189935)

As promised, here's the report: Its all good. Arrived on time, no dings, dents, or detritus. Seller is a wizard at packing, anyway. UPS passes another test.
"If you're lucky; you're good. If you're good; you're lucky."
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-04-16 11:38 AM (#189945 - in reply to #189935)

As I speak, I'm waiting for the brown truck to arrive with the '97 Collectors Edition I got on Ebay last week. It shipped from Texas. I've been tracking it to my home in Warren,Pa. all week and I have to say I,m VERY nervous!!!! I'm staying home till It arrives. Somebody tell me...what exactly do I do when it arrives? Do I let the driver go and take the box in and open it? Should I make him/her stay and open it in front of them? If there is damage, am I likely to have less trouble with a claim if the driver sees the damage? What's the protocol for this situation?? Voices of experience help me out please. Thanks, John.
seesquare
Posted 2004-04-16 12:12 PM (#189946 - in reply to #189935)

Well, John, first thing- have a couple of drinks.
It might be a bit much to expect the UPS driver to stand there while you open the package. Document any exterior damage to the package with the driver, however!!

After that, if there's any internal damage, take pictures with a camera that documents time & date. You would be able to establish time of discovery, in that fashion.

Good luck. All will be well.
Chris
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-04-16 7:38 PM (#189947 - in reply to #189935)

Everything is fine. Thanks. John.
Bailey
Posted 2004-04-17 2:17 AM (#189948 - in reply to #189935)

bauerhillboy

I just noticed your home city, my brother used to play there in the 60's and 70's spending many hours driving there from Conneaut, OH to play country and bluegrass somewhere there, he was a fiddle player before fiddles became popular. He also played on a TV station in Cleveland at the same time in a house band that backed many country stars when they appeared in Cleveland. Just shows you how a musician has to go where the music is to make money.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)