The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Tour Hamer Guitars

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tommy M.
Posted 2004-04-12 9:21 PM (#190051)
Subject: Ovation Tour Hamer Guitars

For those of us that went to the Mother ship in March, we also got to tour the Hamer Factory, and learned everything in detail about the constuction of these guitars. Ever since the tour, I've been curious, as I really didn't know much about Hamer guitars, before the tour. I've been messing around at the local Guitar Ctr. with a few used models. From the serial# they're 1994 models. I think they're USA Studio or SATQ models. No one at the GC seems to know. I'm getting attached to them. I went to their website, but can't tell. Any Hamer owners know about the models? Also, what did you think of the Hamer tour, and these guitars?
Tommy M.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-04-12 9:48 PM (#190052 - in reply to #190051)
Subject: Re: Ovation Tour Hamer Guitars

double cutaway arch top is a studio

double cutaway flat top is a special

sounds rignt.

what do you need to know about hamers? other than they are some of the best made guitars out there.
check my website.
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-04-12 10:18 PM (#190053 - in reply to #190051)

I checked out your site, great stuff. I'll be seeing you this week, as I'm in the area. One thing I can't figure out is the amount of guitars produced each week, didn't coincide with the serial numbers. As Joel mentioned, they produce a small number each week. I was taken back with the detail and quality put into these guitars. The tour opened up an intorduction to these guitars, that I hadn't know before.
Tommy
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-04-13 12:28 AM (#190054 - in reply to #190051)

I am the proud owner of a 1996 Hamer Mirage. It's a double cutaway (similar to a Les Paul double cut) with a beautiful mahogany solid body and a flame maple carved top, finished in transparent red. It is stunning. Seymour Duncan humbuckers, a JB and a '59. Tuner are Sperzel locking, with a Wilkinson trem. The fretboard is understated, with simple pearl dots for markers. But man, does this guitar sing!

I bought this one about 4 years ago for what I thought was a song. I was impressed by its craftsmanship, playability, and incredible sound. I knew a little about Hamer, but nothing near what I learned by going through the factory tour last year. I have a whole new appreciation for the quality of the guitar.

It's a heavy guitar, and playing for an extented period of time lets you know it. But the sustain and tone are incredible. It can do anything from sweet to raunchy.

I think Hamer produced a lot more guitars when they were still in Arlington Heights, IL. They moved to CT sometime in early 1998 I think, when production slowed down a bit and they became more of a custom shop / boutique manufacturer.

For those who didn't get to see the tour, Hamer is the epitome of high-end, hand-crafted works of art.

One note of caution though ... like Ovation, there is a line of Hamer guitars that are made offshore. While good for the money (Slammer series excepted), they are nowhere near the guitar that carries the Hamer USA designation. In fact, the difference between the US and the offshore models is even more pronounced than the Ovation line.

There is a pretty good amount of material on the hamer fan club website at www.hamerfanclub.com.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-04-13 7:46 AM (#190055 - in reply to #190051)

I have to weigh in on this one, too, as a fan of Hamer guitars. I think I have ten Hamer guitars and basses at the moment.

Hamer USA definitely makes superb instruments that dollar for dollar are far superior to the competition. Perhaps the biggest problem Hamer has is one of image, as most young MTV bucks want to wear a Gibson, PRS, or Fender. There are exceptions, but few. Perhaps it doesn't take much to get an endorsement anymore.....

Do check out the Hamer Fan Club. There are a lot of great guys on there I have known as online acquaintances for years, and overall a good group even if not quite as genteel as us more acoustically minded folk. :D
alpep
Posted 2004-04-13 8:33 AM (#190056 - in reply to #190051)

Originally posted by Tommy M.:
I checked out your site, great stuff. I'll be seeing you this week, as I'm in the area. Tommy

I am real busy for the next two weeks if you want to come over you need to call and make an appt. Give me time to drag guitars you may want to see out of storage.
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-04-13 10:39 AM (#190057 - in reply to #190051)

I've owned a Hamer since '81, great guitars. Mine is a Special B&W Graphic, just like the one in the middle in this image:
My Hamer
Mine needs a little work as for several years it wasn't taken care of very well :(
I always knew they were special guitars, and after the tour have an even greater appreciation of them. After getting back, I have been over to my local Ovation/Hamer dealer and played a Monaco Elite and a Monaco Mahogony Elite - they are both easy to play - The Monaco Elite is simply beautiful (Indigo Blue finish!).
For the price they are unbeatable.

I was unaware of the Korean models (not Slammers), but as the store owner pointed out to me, the USA all have Hamer USA on the head stock - the overseas ones just have Hamer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)