The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Typhoon Bass Pickups

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Karl
Posted 2004-04-15 9:23 PM (#189824)
Subject: Typhoon Bass Pickups

I have an early Typhoon Bass and I am not sure if the pickups are original. It is serial number A836 and has 2 large black pickups with mahogany surrounds on them. I know they are different from the pickups on the later models. Can anyone out there tell me if these are original pickups?
Does anyone else have a typhoon bass that is close in serial numbers to mine?

Thanks any help you might be able to offer!

Karl
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2004-04-15 9:32 PM (#189825 - in reply to #189824)
Subject: Re: Typhoon Bass Pickups

It sounds to me like your pickups have been changed. As far as I know the originals were all chrome. I've got A399, A578, and B210 (fretless) and all three of them have the original chrome pickups. Dave
Karl
Posted 2004-04-16 6:20 PM (#189826 - in reply to #189824)
Subject: Re: Typhoon Bass Pickups

Hi Dave,
Thanks for getting back to me on my pickups. I thought they were not the original pickups in the bass. The interesting thing is they are black pickups that are quite large and are very similar to the large neck pickup that was used in the Magnum basses. I have never seen a pickup of this size on any other bass than an ovation. My thought was maybe they were some sort of early prototype pickup for the later ones. The other interesting thing is they have two extra switches that appear to be a coil tap and do not appear to be added later.
Either way it is a great sounding bass and I am amazed at the tonal range that can be achieved with these pickups in the bass.

Thanks for the info

Karl
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)