The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
m'Daughter

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

cliff
Posted 2004-04-15 12:28 PM (#189899)
Subject: m'Daughter

For YEARS I'd been subtly suggesting that my daughter try her hand at guitar, to no avail. Even suggested to my then-wife that we buy her an entry-level O of her own for one of her something-teen birthdays (just so she'd always HAVE one available in college, etc., not that she'd HAVE to play it). She thought it'd be "a waste of money". :rolleyes:

Last week, Ashley (now 18) comes back from visiting her friend in college in SouthJersey, and can't WAIT to play for me a CD of a "new" artist that she just "discovered". She pops the CD in, and "Dad" says: ". . . oh yeah, this is Damien Rice . . . he's pretty good, . . I've had this CD for a while and've been thinking about adding a song or two of his to the repertoire . . "
Her jaw is STILL on the floor!! (seems Dad ain't so "old" afterall!) :cool: Anyway, she's now in LOVE with Damien Rice's music, and NOW wants to learn to play guitar.
So . . . I'm looking around for an entry-level acoustic-only Ovation or Applause that's CHEAP!!!, sturdy, not-too-discouraging to "learn" on, and will stand up to the rigors of a fickle 18-year-old girl's (ab)use.

Anybody got anything?
(hint: I share the same degree of DISDAIN for eBay as I do for WalMart, so please - no directions there - thx!)

Al . . . anything buried up in the loft??
Old Academy???

Lemme know.

ThnxGuyz.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-04-15 12:36 PM (#189900 - in reply to #189899)
Subject: Re: m'Daughter

This is interesting. It's so tough to figure out what kids want. My daughter wanted to pick up guitar but never showed any excitment for it. She also plays piano. My son is now taking lessons and has a Fender Squire Strat and is excited. Last night my daughter accused me of "destroying her enthusiasm for the guitar" when she was trying to learn.

Say what????
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-04-15 12:55 PM (#189901 - in reply to #189899)

It's probably easy to do but I don't know how to link directly to eBay with this reply (somebody please post some help). There's a Balladeer 1111 on eBay right now that will probably sell real cheap because half of the soundhole rosette is broken off. Other than that it looks very nice. You could probably get a new rosette from Ovation and have it put on so that the guitar would look presentable.
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-04-15 12:58 PM (#189902 - in reply to #189899)

Hey, what's so bad about eBay and WalMart?
cliff
Posted 2004-04-15 1:08 PM (#189903 - in reply to #189899)

When I want to "buy" something, I refuse to deal with the hassles of eBay, and I despise the business practices of WalMart. Neither shall get any of my business. Don't even get me STARTED on ClearChannel . . . .

Moody, . . . . maybe you "destroyed her enthusiasm for guitar" by letting her hear YOU play????

. . . talk about Child Abuse . . .
alpep
Posted 2004-04-15 1:56 PM (#189904 - in reply to #189899)

cliff
if she introduces me to some hot young college bim we can probably work something out.

e me
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-15 1:58 PM (#189905 - in reply to #189899)

OK Dad, get out the wallet! Here is a great opportunity for one of those brightly colored and quilted Celebrity series to be called to the front lines. You may want the best for her - and you do know the difference - but you want something bullet proof. Then if she graduates to something better and takes a liking to Kaki... Get your other wallet out!

Moody - Some kid's will tell themselves they can't do something because someone else already is and they don't want the comparisons. Just encourage and direct - they'll have to figure it all out or not.
amstphd
Posted 2004-04-15 2:04 PM (#189906 - in reply to #189899)

I'm with MWoody: Your daughter needs a Celebrity. I love my CC057--very easy to play, a sound that I like, tank tough, and the shallow bowl actually contributes to playability and isn't likely to become offensive in a dorm room or apartment.
Peace,
John

And I agree about Wal-Mart and Clear Channel, not sure on E-Bay.
samova
Posted 2004-04-15 2:11 PM (#189907 - in reply to #189899)

Hey Cliff, i'll sell you my old slothead adamas so you and your daughter can have matching guitars..
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-15 2:16 PM (#189908 - in reply to #189899)

Ladies and Gentleman...
The OFC is proud to present an evening with...
The Bouncing Bopsie Twins... featuring The Beautiful Sounds of Matching Ovation Guitars! :D
(Sorry .. I couldn't resist)
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-04-15 5:17 PM (#189909 - in reply to #189899)

I got it Cliff ... buy the Red Flame Elite from Al ... if she plays, she's got the coolest guitar around. If she doesn't, you've got your ax for the vehicle. And please, don't show her a picture of the MOB ... chances are that'll be the one she wants and you'll never hear the end of it from Paul (I love to keep changing my name) Hebert. :D
zorjon
Posted 2004-04-15 7:49 PM (#189910 - in reply to #189899)

Since the MOB was brought up. Does anyone know how that is doing for Ovation?

Has it been commercially successful and opened up a new market for them?

Just curious.

John
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)