The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Electrifying an 1115 12-string

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

mikedj
Posted 2004-04-17 9:01 AM (#189666)
Subject: Electrifying an 1115 12-string

I'm am considering adding a pickup and pre-amp to my 1974 model 1115-4 12-string. Should I consider adding an Ovation pre-amp/pickup package like those that are currently being included on new Ovation guitars? If so, is there a particular model that would seem appropriate? I realize there are many, many factors that govern the choice of pickup systems, but I guess I'm looking for some indication as to whether it makes more sense to add an Ovation product or would I be better served by exploring the many after market solutions that are available.

Or, even though it is not an overly expensive or valuable guitar, does anyone feel it will diminish the value that it does have by modifying it?

Thanks for your opinions,
Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-04-17 10:42 AM (#189667 - in reply to #189666)
Subject: Re: Electrifying an 1115 12-string

You've got three choices with this (in adding a p/u). First, send it to Ovation and have them put in an OP Pro. Total cost with shipping (and I'm guessing here), about $400. This would be my choice. Second, send it to Ovation and have them put in a straight thru p/u, no controls on the body. Probably $100 less. Third, take it to a local guy and have him put in something, Fishman, LR Baggs, etc. Couple of hundred.

Your guitar doesn't have any intrinsic value as a collecter. It's a great guitar, but thousands were made. The way it stands now, it's not worth more that about $3-$400. So don't worry about screwing up the value of the guitar. The value is that it's a terrific instrument, and it's yours and you love it. And you'll enjoy it even more when you can plug it in.

I'd personally spend the money for the OP Pro. You get a very very good preamp and an on board tuner. That guitar will sound wonderful plugged in.
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-17 11:16 AM (#189668 - in reply to #189666)

Mike,
I was considering the upgrade to an OP PRO for my 1615. I should probably check with Kim on the price - see if the existing saddle Pickup is usable.

Keep the 1115 the way it is or use a sound hole mounted pick up. For $300-$400 you can get a 1615 if you are patient.
mikedj
Posted 2004-04-17 1:09 PM (#189669 - in reply to #189666)

Thanks for your suggestions. Your two responses seem to solidify my thoughts as far as choices. I guess, if I'm going to do it, I feel most comfortable letting Ovation do it. I could go aftermarket and save a few bucks, but I'm a little hesitent since there are so many options and, with my limited experience, I won't know what I'm getting until I try them. At least with Ovation, I know I'll get Ovation's sound, for better or for worse.

But then, if around $400 is accurate, I would be putting as much into the guitar as it's worth.

I suppose I'll need to shop around a little and see what it would cost to replace the guitar - of course, with another Ovation!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)