The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
NYC Union Square Guitar Center

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2004-04-27 8:09 AM (#189065)
Subject: NYC Union Square Guitar Center

I had a chance this past weekend to visit the new GC at Union Square while visiting my son at college. I must say, I've been in quite a few GC's over the years but this one was just amazing. Of course location is everything and I couldn't even guess what the sqft costs are for this area. But the layout and merchendising of the store was extremely nice. The most complete lines of Fender and Gibson electrics I've ever seen at one place. The acoustic room was equally as stunning with seperate rooms for classical and for Martin/Taylor. Most have been 60 different Martin and Taylors on display.

Most impressive was the massive collection of vintage instruments, including many old Gibson and Fender electrics (priced accordingly). The collection of vintage Martins was amazing. I don't know all the models, but there were several over $25k, including a D-50 Brazillian for $50k. The EC28 Brazillian was really nice.

Were there any Ovations? Yes, in the far corner of the acoustic room, behind some gig bags and stands were a half dozen celebrities and a Balladeer LX. Didn't check prices. They did have a big (6 foot?) autographed poster of ME in the front window, however.

I was very pleased to see a sign hanging in the Martin/Taylor room that said "Will install new strings on any guitar you would like to play, provided you also purchase a like set of strings for yourself". I thought that was a pretty good idea.

I played some fun with a salesman. I told him I was looking for a guitar with the following requirements:
1. I only play live plugged in, so pu/preamp was a priority.
2. Guitar must be very durable
3. Light weight and fast neck
4. Good reputation (name brand) and factory service
5. Price range was under $1000.

IN ORDER, he recommened Taylor, Taylor, Taylor, Martin, Martin, Fender, Ibenez, Fender. The word Ovation NEVER crossed his lips. I played dumb and asked "what about those roundback ones way over there". He said - "yeah, some people ask for them, but mostly for the looks."

The sad thing is that none of this surprised me at all. Anyway, that was my weekend highlight. The GC is very, very nice and I would urge anyone in the area to check it out. Especially if you are interseted in the huge collection of vintage stuff (amps also) and all the Martins and Taylors.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2004-04-27 10:08 AM (#189066 - in reply to #189065)
Subject: Re: NYC Union Square Guitar Center

If you're in the NYC area, GC, should be one of the places you hit.
Here's a list of places I'd check out.
GC @ Union Square
Umanov's at Bleeker (Top notch and expensive repairs)
Carmine Street Guitar's, around the corner from Umanov's (Repairs on electrics just as good as Umanov's, and cheaper. The guy makes his own teles)
East Village Music Store on E 3rd Street (Consignment store)
Outside of downtown
Sam Ash on 48th (But just for the experience)
Mando Bros on SI, that's a day trip (take the ferry)
Guitar Bar on first street in Hoboken (take the ferry)
I know there are other great places. Sorry if I missed them. I like these places because I've been treated as human (except at 48th street, where I was trailed like a potential criminal)
Standingovation
Posted 2004-04-27 10:25 AM (#189067 - in reply to #189065)

Manny's on 48th. Great collection of celebrities on the wall (real celebrities, not imported guitars). DW
cliff
Posted 2004-04-27 10:43 AM (#189068 - in reply to #189065)

Back in the 70's (I'm dating myself) a trip to 48th Street (for a wild-eyed, long-haired Jersey kid) was like going to "Oz"! You could spend an entire DAY in a four block area. (Much like a lot of things), it just "ain't what it used to be". :(
Standingovation
Posted 2004-04-27 11:56 AM (#189069 - in reply to #189065)

Cliff - arn't you still along haired, wide eyed kid? Do you remember the place right across teh street from Manny's called "We Buy Guitars"? What a great selection of used stuff. Dave
TRboy
Posted 2004-04-27 12:49 PM (#189070 - in reply to #189065)

Dave,
They have an autographed poster of YOU in the front window? :eek: WOW,COOL, How'd you swing that????

Mike :D (Man I'm jealous.....but I've got a pic of me playing the Adamas mandolin in Cliff's gallery if anyone wants me to make copies and sign it!!!............ :rolleyes: )
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-27 1:16 PM (#189071 - in reply to #189065)

Trboy - I didn't think Dave was 6 foot tall either.

To all - This baits the question - where is the coolest Ovation display/setup in the USA?

CWK's closet doesn't count!
Standingovation
Posted 2004-04-27 2:25 PM (#189072 - in reply to #189065)

I've seen great Ovation displays at 1) NAMM, 2) the factory, 3) OFC members homes. But never at a dealer. Sam Ash would come the closest (and Sam is a big personal supporter of Ovation). The average dealer I have visited is almost embarrased to have to stock a few of them.

I hate to say it (and I know I'll take a rash of crap for this), but probably the best thing Ovation could do would be to build a high end wooden box guitar. If you want to compete with Martin and Taylor, the go at them mano-a-mano. I'm not putting down the virtues of the lyrachord bowl. But heck, Ovation knows a thing or two about wood, bracing, sound propagation, etc. I bet they could build one hell of a guitar. Even put a friggin pick guard on the thing if you have to. And you know what? The damn thing would probably outsell any roundback in the line. If the whole world is going to be prejudiced, them work around them and stop banging your head against the wall.

Dave
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-04-27 2:55 PM (#189073 - in reply to #189065)

.... hmmmm... what about a wooden round back? Like the "gourd" mandos??? Best of boh worlds?

tim
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-27 3:34 PM (#189074 - in reply to #189065)

"the best thing Ovation could do would be to build a high end wooden box guitar"

No doubt the talent is there but that would be like Tony Roma's making a vegetarian dish or the State of California only buying clothes from Costco - it's not what their about!

I'd like to see an all Kaman Music Store though! Wouldn't that just kick some ass! :eek:
Standingovation
Posted 2004-04-27 4:14 PM (#189075 - in reply to #189065)

If the whole world was turning vegitarian, you can bet your butt that Tony Roma's would start selling vegi-ribs. Wouldn't you?
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-04-27 4:55 PM (#189076 - in reply to #189065)

I know of your experience in the local CG's etc. and it seems like your really at the mercy of the "knowledgeble" sales person. Taylors are kinda the in thing with acoustic guitars right now. They've marketed their product very well, on the younger bands. You gotta remember, during the 70's Ovation was everywhere. They were played by everyone from Jim Croce to Larry Coreyell. I wish that the message of the sound and quality of the LX's would get these salespersons' attention. On another note about these salesman. At the local CG in Cherry Hill NJ, I eyed a beautiful used Hamer. Not one salesperson in the place knew much about Hamers. I took advantage of their ignorance and bargained down the price. I walked away with a PRS quality guitar for a song.
Tommy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)