The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Fiddling in San Diego

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2004-05-02 2:18 AM (#188685)
Subject: Fiddling in San Diego

My wife (Suzie) wants to learn the fiddle...any advice (Nils already suggested ear plugs)??

Appropriate post on OFC - I get what she wants and she encourages me with the guitars.

No idea of what to look for in a decent fiddle...features and price.

Checked out on eBay and they appear to be almost exclusively lower end such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3720896178&category=10180&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Actually, they look pretty good, heck the case looks to be worth almost as much as the recent selling prices of about $60. Even if made in China - try to find a guitar for $60.

Just trying to compare guitar concerns to a fiddle - for beginning to intermediate,I would be more concerned with playabiltiy to avoid discouraging her similar to an inexpensive guitar being difficult to play. Long as it stays somewhat in tune and reasonably ok as far as action, less concerned about sound - she would be able to scare our curious coyotes away. Either that, or they would accompany her with a chorus. Yet, it may end up as a wall hanger if she becomes discouraged.

If not, what features should I look for that this one doesn't have? Links to better fiddles? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-05-02 5:40 AM (#188686 - in reply to #188685)
Subject: Re: Fiddling in San Diego

I have a rather cool electric one available
e me.
thanks
al
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-02 4:59 PM (#188687 - in reply to #188685)

I understand that UPS is a lot easier on fiddles than they are on violins. Which one did she really want?
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-05-02 6:45 PM (#188688 - in reply to #188685)

I don't think UPS discriminates...got this for her, we'll see if it is okay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3720920972&category=10180&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

for the price, at least a good wall decoration.
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-02 9:15 PM (#188689 - in reply to #188685)

In looking at the listing - see other listings for this seller - I got a severe case of GAS pains. Little ones, you can hold under your chin.

Great price, good timing and best wishes!

Enjoy!
Standingovation
Posted 2004-05-02 10:38 PM (#188690 - in reply to #188685)

Tony, Looks like you got a good deal. I got a viola about 2 years ago but sadly I lost the patience to make the thing sing. Plus it drove the cat crazy. The only problem I had was that the "action" was not right on mine. The curve of the bridge did not match the curvature of the neck properly. Which meant a new bridge, plus a new sound post, plus new strings, plus labor, yada, yada, yada. Cost me $120 above what I paid for it. Now it just sits. Probably sould try to sell it before the cat tries to mate with it.
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-03 1:57 AM (#188691 - in reply to #188685)

Tony

Glad to see you got this, I think you will like it as the price is so right. Case, fiddle, bow, all for less than a night at a good restaurant. I might be interested if they have any more. Check out the price of a bow if you are doubtful about this deal. Also, they have both steel and nylon strings for the violin, if steel seems hard to play, check out nylon for learning.

Great deal!!

Bailey
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-03 8:03 AM (#188692 - in reply to #188685)

"I might be interested if they have any more"

Bailey - check out the other listed items. It seems they just backed the truck into the Flea Market!
BalladeerFun
Posted 2004-05-03 11:34 AM (#188693 - in reply to #188685)

Once the wife starts driving everyone crazy with the screaching you will find that there is a great relief from it.... The Yamaha silent violin... You put on headphones and learn away and the player is the only one hearing the pain... My niece has one and I've played around on it some... It will help everyone stay civil... Also if you buy a used one they don't lose their value and you can get rid of it for what you paid for it rather easily...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)