The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Variax guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Bailey
Posted 2004-05-01 1:41 AM (#188739)
Subject: Variax guitar

I noticed that Cliff, I believe, listed a Variax in one of his postings. I know this is off the subject of Ovations, but I would sure like to hear how it sounds to someone we can trust. I just HAVE to know if the character of various guitars can be duplicated electronically. I have been very dubious, but don't have a grand in cash to check it out.

Please tell us about it.

Bailey
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-05-01 6:32 AM (#188740 - in reply to #188739)
Subject: Re: Variax guitar

I mentioned the new "Acoustic" Line6 Variax a while ago, & I've had the original "electric" model on loan in my studio for a few months. Do they sound like the real thing? Not entirely, not if you compared them side by side, but that's kinda missing the point. Do they produce good sounds? Absolutely. In a mix I would defy anyone to identify the modelled sounds over the real thing.

Personally I would not use any of the current digital modelling tecnology in a live situation, but in the studio I find I'm using it more & more. I'm currently producing an album for a local punk band and all the guitars were tracked using the Line 6 Guitar Port. The band usually play way too loud through Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier amps and were sceptical at first about using a piece of software to record their guitars, but were convinced pretty quickly. There's some rough mixes on their website, go to the "audio" page

http://www.themercuryleague.co.uk/
innerman
Posted 2004-05-01 2:06 PM (#188741 - in reply to #188739)

It was me that has the Variax- but you mentioned you want a review from someone you trust. I'm not a pro, and I've never owned any of the guitars that the variax models. But I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy the sounds and verstality that it offers. It's not perfect, especially with some of the acoustic and 12 string models, but it is impressive. The banjo and sitar are fun, but novelties for me. Love the dobros and resonators. Jazzboxes channel actually inspired me to stretch into that genre of playing, and I haven't climbed back out for the last month. I caught myself looking at Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny albums in the store the other day. That's a major shift for a guy who grew up listening to Sabbath, Maiden, and AC/DC. And yes I know they aren't really albums, they are cd's. I'm only 34, so cassettes were already pushing albums out of the bin by the time I could rub 2 coins together, but I still think I will always say "album". Maybe it sounds more...comprehensive, or something.

Anyway, the Variax is cool, it's fun, and so far it's reliable. Korean made, so the hardware could probably be a little better. I bought it from Musicians Friend in January for $499, so I won't mind upgrading the tuners.

Also, Line 6 is releasing a software Workbench in July that allows you to modify your current guitars or create new ones and download them to the Variax. Looks very cool on the demo I saw.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Scott
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-02 1:32 AM (#188742 - in reply to #188739)

Thanks Paul T. and Scott

And my apology to Scott, it was late and I didn't check the post like I should. I had a feeling that I had mentioned the wrong name after I hung up for the night.

I have one more question, how do they work with amp modeling devices, if you have tried such a combo?

I am enticed by the temptation of owning a variety of legendary electric guitars at the cost of one guitar. Do you have the capability of various settings such as bridge pickup, neck pickup, all 3 pickups. for example like on a Strat, or is it just one Strat sound?

I may chuck my acoustics and go digital yet.

Bailey
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-05-02 7:22 AM (#188743 - in reply to #188739)

They'll work with regular amps or digital modellers. I have used the Variax into the Guitar Port with great results. The Variax provides a single pickup setting for some of the models with variations for others available from the 5-way switch, but as Scott said the new Workbench software allows Variax owners to create new pickup settings & upload them to the guitar.

Warmoth are now making bodies & necks in various styles which will accept the Variax hardware & circuitry. Bet they don't make a Breadwinner, now that would be cool.
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-03 2:54 AM (#188744 - in reply to #188739)

Paul T

THAT WOULD BE SOOOO COOL, unfortunately, Deacon or Breadwinner wasn't part of the mix. Anybody here have any clout at Variax, mention some early Ovations and get them included. We had a great description of the Ovation capabilities in an earlier post.
innerman
Posted 2004-05-03 8:39 AM (#188745 - in reply to #188739)

If you think about it, the bodies are not their profit center. I believe at some point in the next year or so they will sell the electronic guts separately so that you can install in your choice of guitars (maybe with a little extra routing). From reading the Line 6 board, a lot of people are doing this modification themselves already.

I wouldn't mind putting the electronics into a Deacon body.
alpep
Posted 2004-05-03 5:55 PM (#188746 - in reply to #188739)

remember a modeling anything is just that a "model"
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-05-03 6:37 PM (#188747 - in reply to #188739)

I aggree and regardless of how good the technology may get I'm not intending to ditch any of my "real" guitars & amps. Whatever you may think of it, digital modelling appears to be here to stay & right now it's in it's infancy & can only get better.
Gary K
Posted 2004-05-03 9:40 PM (#188748 - in reply to #188739)

Originally posted by Bailey:

Do you have the capability of various settings such as bridge pickup, neck pickup, all 3 pickups. for example like on a Strat, or is it just one Strat sound?
Bailey

Bailey,

Hi, I own a Line 6 Variax 500 (and a Ovation Balladeer Special).

For many of the modeled guitars, the pickup switching acts as on the actual guitar. For example, on the Strat ("Spank") model selector setting, the 5-way switch selects pickups like the 5-way switch on the actual Strat. And that includes the Strat in/out of phase sounds. Same for the Les Paul (Lester) and Telecaster settings. Go take a look on the Line 6 web site, there is a complete look at (and sound samples) of all modeled instruments and pickup settings.

Hope this helps,
-egkor (Gary K)
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-04 1:20 AM (#188749 - in reply to #188739)

Yhanks Gary

I have a Guitar Player review, I'll go back and read it again.
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-04 1:38 AM (#188750 - in reply to #188739)

Also

I watched a PBS program on the Grand Canyon and it reminded me of the discussions about technology. the mile deep canyon exposes the 1.8 billion year old strata and the evolutionary layers since. As these layers were evolving and the plateau was rising to 7000 feet, dinasaurs, mammoths, horses, and finally people were emerging. The Anasazi, and Jualapai lived in that majestic ditch, and the moon walk is represented by the dust on the overlooks, the Martin and Washburn are the rocks under that dust and the prized Stradivarious is a scratch in the rocks on the 7000 foot plateau, almost of the time of the Spanish discovery of this great wonder. Is it possible that if it had been discovered in England, the questions of whether man evolved or was created would have destroyed the Anglican Church just when Henry VIII was banging his many mistresses.

Just a blow for acoustic sound and serious thought.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)