The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Which Strings to use??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Altoona
Posted 2004-05-17 9:14 AM (#187577)
Subject: Which Strings to use??

I was given a 1867 Legend made in 1995 in perfect unused condtion. I would like to use a set of strings that would be easier to press. Any suggestions?? And would it require truss rod adjustment??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-17 9:30 AM (#187578 - in reply to #187577)
Subject: Re: Which Strings to use??

Welcome to the board Altoona! Many preferences on strings exist including the Factory preferences.

EXP's and D'Addarios are right in there. Use the Search tools and you will find a wealth of preferences and discussions. Truss rod adjustments - same story and not a big deal.

Enjoy
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-05-17 12:52 PM (#187579 - in reply to #187577)

On my Legend, I was using Martin Phosphour Bronze light gauge, but just switched to D'Addario Phosphour Bronze medium gauge to try to avoid breaking strings so often.

The lighter gauge are easier on the fingers!

Welcome aboard and congrates on a great guitar.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-17 1:22 PM (#187580 - in reply to #187577)

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new guitar.
Just my 2 cents worth. people like different strings and string gauges. I tend to like what my Ovation came with. When i can get them i go with D'Addario EXP's. If you can't find them locally, you can order them. Some like the Elixers..others like Phosphor Bronze Strings..It all comes down to personal preference.
Once again, Welcome aboard and don't be a stranger.
Nils
Posted 2004-05-18 12:56 AM (#187581 - in reply to #187577)

A Legend should be easy to play with any reasonably light gauge quality strings. If it isn't it probably needs to be set up. Except for the first USA O I bought, I have pulled at least one shim & adjusted the truss rods on every Ovation I own to get them to play the way I like. The first one was adjusted by the store where I bought it. (Free btw.) The factory (or possibly previous owner) setup has been too high to suit me on every one of mine.
It's not difficult to adjust, but if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself it's not expensive to have it done either, about 50 bucks here in central Oregon.
The most finger friendly strings I've tried to date are Elixir Nanoweb lights. Your mileage may vary.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-18 1:53 AM (#187582 - in reply to #187577)

Welcome Altoona

You might try a search on "strings" as we have had many discussions of the ins and outs of them. I believe in doing everything you can to make your instrument your own in feel and personal preferance. It is YOUR instrument, and we all play for enjoyment, so ENJOY.

Bailey
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-05-18 8:43 AM (#187583 - in reply to #187577)

Welcome Altoona,

I have recently switched my string gauge. I am now using a "Frankenset": I use medium phosphor/bronze bought at www.webstrings.com on the high "B" & "E" strings and lights on the remaining 4.

I had to keep the mediums on the high strings because my "grip of death" bends the strings if they are too light.

Don't be afraid to "mix-n-match" to suit your personal style.
Slap
Posted 2004-05-18 11:30 AM (#187584 - in reply to #187577)

Altoona, welcome. Good advice from all of the above. From my point of view, I only use light guage. Am currently using Elixers on Ovation. I finger pick, so the lower the action and with a light guage string, it works pretty well for me.
Steve
Posted 2004-05-18 3:24 PM (#187585 - in reply to #187577)

hey tim chapman,
good idea on alternative guages; i was considerig going to a similar setup, with light/xtra light on the EAD and medium/medium light on the GBE; also, i'm considering switching to a Longneck and now i'm hearing all these horror stories on how difficult a guitar it is to set up for easy action...

steve
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-05-18 3:28 PM (#187586 - in reply to #187577)

Steve,

For some reason it took me 40 years to figure out that I could actually mix the string gauges! :confused:

I love the feel of lights/extra-lights, but when I chord, I bend the B & E strings out of tune. Putting mediums on stopped that problem! :D
Steve
Posted 2004-05-18 4:06 PM (#187587 - in reply to #187577)

Either that or a locking nut...but i've never seen one on an acoustic guitar...

steve
jamlevesque
Posted 2004-05-20 9:11 PM (#187588 - in reply to #187577)

Try Daddario lights in 10 gauge.I've owned an O for over 30 years and found that these are easy on the touch and won't distort chords if you have a "death grip" like me.I'm hearing that O's come from the factory with these strings so they must have discovered this way before me.Good luck.
Jim.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)