The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Crate CA30D whada ya tink!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

texbaz
Posted 2005-05-14 11:29 AM (#150902)
Subject: Crate CA30D whada ya tink!

I have never owned an amp before and since the 1771LX I have is acoustic/electric I went down to one of our local music shops. They had this used Crate CA30D looks to be in great condition outside, Had the shop owner plug it in we played a little, and it sounds good, I noticed this has DSP but I really could not hear that much difference in the sound comming out when I changed the DSP knob positiion are the effects very slight. he's asking 125.00 for it. Currently My 1771LX is on it's way back from Kim Keller, He said, they had to do a neck reset on it, don't know if that is good or bad for a NEW guitar but hopefully it'll be much better maybe I should wait, take it down and see how it sounds. I also noticed the owner had to turn his preamp way down we were getting feedback.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GtrMn4Hm
Posted 2005-05-14 10:26 PM (#150903 - in reply to #150902)
Subject: Re: Crate CA30D whada ya tink!

I have a Crate CA-30. Got it from EBay.
Not a bad sound for a small venue....great chorus.
I've used it for guitar alone and for guitar and vocals.....
$125 is not a bad price....I think I paid about that much on EBay....they're normally around $400.
If I were gonna get a really great one I'd get the California Blonde SWR but that's a lot more $$. But this one is all I need for now for practice and small gigs.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
texbaz
Posted 2005-05-15 9:41 AM (#150904 - in reply to #150902)

GtrMn4Hm,
Thanks your info does help. I just wonder,if I should save up a few more dollars and look at the UltraSound AG30 they have no DSP and I wonder how important those features really are for an acoustic amp. The amp I purchase will be strickly for in my Den use when I want to just plug-in. No gigging, just me. I had seen that at the local shop thought it was a good value, if it functions correctly. I downloaded the Crate owners Manual and will probably wait till I get my 1771LX, and give it a whirl.

Mike
GtrMn4Hm
Posted 2005-05-15 7:52 PM (#150905 - in reply to #150902)

Texbaz,
I don't know about the Ultra Sound AG30. I've never had the chance to play one. For in home use what I like most is the ability to EQ my sound, a good Chorus and a little reverb to provide presence. The funny thing is when I go to a store to try on guitars for size, and I plug in, I'll try the amps that are available, Fender acoustasonic, genz benz, crate, etc...and I've always produced different sounds....sometimes I won't like the Fender with a particular guitar and other times the Fender amp is the only one that will give me what I want....same with the others. I've never had any use for amps with the "effects combos" such as delay + chorus, or delay + reverb, etc.... I'd rather dial in my own or just use some of my stomp box gear. I guess the bottom line is to find an amp that consistently gives a fairly good sound on all guitars and that has simple but useable features. I recommend the Crate because for me it gives my guitar a warm sound.....I found one on e-bay.
You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this...some of the other posts on this board recommend Genz Benz.....I guess you get what you pay for.
If I had the money I would get a larger one like the California Blonde.....Hey if I really had the money I'd get a Mackie power amp with Bose speakers!!
I don't know if this rambling helps but maybe it'll help you get the best in your particular price range.
Cheers,
Bentman
Posted 2005-05-15 11:06 PM (#150906 - in reply to #150902)

I've recently purchased a Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr and the best thing I could possibly say about it is that it makes my Adamas sound exactly like my Adamas, just louder. No coloring unless I want to add a DSP or play with the EQ. In my opinion that's what a good acoustic amp is all about.

Bentman

P.S. That was free.
xnoel
Posted 2005-05-16 7:37 AM (#150907 - in reply to #150902)

Mike,
Untrasound makes a really good amp. I have the AG50DS2. It is considerably more expensive than the AG30, but has an instrument channel and vocal channel along with the Alesis effects. I don't use much in the way of effects, but do use the chorus/reverb combo effect and it sounds really good.
The sound is great, I always get good coments when I jam with others. Although like you, I am mostly a play at home guy.
You might consider getting "more amp" than you think you need. Could save you from wanting to upgrade in a few months. Just my opinion.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-05-16 8:15 AM (#150908 - in reply to #150902)

I don't have an acoustic, but I did buy a Beringher Vampire for my electrics. This is an all digital modeling amp, and does have some great FX's. It has a clean channel too, that sounds real good for practice, and I was told it works great for acoustic guitars too. The price was good for what it does. ;)
Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2005-05-16 8:37 AM (#150909 - in reply to #150902)

Another vote for the Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr. Hell of an acoustic amp. Not too much for home, but enough for small gigs if the urge hits Ya.
cliff
Posted 2005-05-16 8:53 AM (#150910 - in reply to #150902)

Has anybody ever tried one of those "HighCliff" amps?
They're the one's with a ported spruce "soundboard" in lieu of a traditional speaker.
I've seen 'em advertised, but never got to try/hear one, or know of anybody who has . . .

Seems like an interesting concept, but I'd wonder if it'd be susceptible to lo-end feedback . . .
texbaz
Posted 2005-05-16 10:04 AM (#150911 - in reply to #150902)

Thanks for the input "Muchass Graciass" I went ahead and just purchased an Ultrasound AG30 from one of the Ebay vendors, they claim it is brand new, with warranty, 2004 closeout for $125.00 Not as many features as the Crate CA30D but has feedback control and 5 year warranty I can always add effects like chorus and reverb via a processor. For what I need an amp, this should work fine. wheew So, many choices.

What I really find funny, I have been looking at small practice amps for a few months. I go to alot of pawn shops to see what they have, I'm really surprised at the junk they try to sell, most won't even take a reasonable offer on stuff that is 5-10 years old.

Great input from all thanks.

I recently got a chance to learn a few Allison Krauss and Union Station tunes, I think I'm a NewGrass or BlueGrass fan now.
xnoel
Posted 2005-05-16 12:33 PM (#150912 - in reply to #150902)

Mike,
Recently emailed ttenn, who lives in Keller, just up the road from you, about getting together soon. Would like for you to join us, no date yet. Think about it. We mentioned that some of the other guys who were at the Texas get together that live in that area might also come. Just a Saturday or whatever would work for us get together.
Paul Wag
Posted 2005-05-16 4:45 PM (#150913 - in reply to #150902)

Keep me posted on a get together...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)