The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Artifacts

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Matt Mattson
Posted 2005-08-26 4:58 PM (#139214)
Subject: Artifacts

A few days ago I had an artifact in a song I created and it lead to a discussion on the root cause, for which I've found the cure(s) and pitfalls I believe. In Mac (Garageband or Logic) recording there are several pitfalls to watch for -- first is compression, you want minimal compression. 2nd pitfal is recording to Quicktime -- you must open the box (Save As) and click the Audio or Quicktime will automatically save as a movie (at 48khz where audio CD is 44). That's where I am so far and so far everything seems to work well, I banged out a tune real fast: http://www.treasuresites.com/GB12-1.mp4 for download sharing and all the others (on CD) seem to check as well. I had suspected the artifact was a video/audio problem and it apparently was.

Happy plucking and thanks for the help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tomato
Posted 2005-08-26 7:27 PM (#139215 - in reply to #139214)
Subject: Re: Artifacts

enjoyed your tune. I am new to the club, so I don't know how often people post tunes. It's a great idea. I am a new mac user. I have not tried my garage band yet. When I do, I will post a tune also. (Well, if I can figure out how to do it.) Computers are not my strong suit.
Also, in my never ending willingness to admit my ignorance.......
What's an artifact as relates to your subject? I am guessing that you did not find a piece of ancient Egyptian pottery or an old indian arrowhead in your song.
tom
Matt Mattson
Posted 2005-08-26 10:11 PM (#139216 - in reply to #139214)

Welcome -- I've been reading the forum for a year or so off an on while getting back into music.

The "artifact" is in a piece I'm developing here: http://www.treasuresites.com/Mattsolo1.mov -- I just upgraded to Tiger and didn't have experience with mpeg4 so didn't know if the .mov was bad or not -- it is -- saves at 48 khz. I actually heard the artifact through my sound and almost stopped playing a couple of times after that but decided to go on and see if it re-appeared (it didn't). This artifact was caused by compression (you'll see that box in GB "real instrument").

You'll like Garageband -- you can buy a whole slew of programs for Windows (yep -- I own all of Billy-Bob's stuff too) and not have what that simple program (that works) gives in an all in one application. Dive deeper and get "Logic" and have the system on your desktop the pro's use for stage and soundwork. Quite a few bands use it to computer-generate instruments on the fly. I'm no Logic guru though, it's heavy-duty.

I'm using a Roland UA-20 interface between the guitar, keyboard, and Mac. I also have an M-Audio Radium for computer keyboard since there's hundreds if not thousands of instrument variations to play on that (in Garageband/Logic). I'd suggest you get an interface even though you can (in theory) hook a line straight into the back of your computer in the mic plug, but with an interface you have a lot more control on the signal -- you have it, the guitar pre-amp, and the amp if you go through that, all synthesizing sound. It will all go together easy, no matter how you do it. In the beginning I bought Cubase -- forget it -- way to old for that or advanced calculus -- then Digital Performer -- forget it -- needed a Chinese Dr. degree -- then got the Mac and got on with life and movie/music creation . . . it's very easy. Good luck on getting plugged in and recording -- will do whatever I can to help.

MM
tomato
Posted 2005-08-26 11:04 PM (#139217 - in reply to #139214)

I did a search for the Roland interface that you mentioned. Is that the same as the Edirol UA-20, which is what I got from my search.
Seemed as though I could get it for about 150.00.
Clicked on your song link and got the old "page cannot be found".
tom
Matt Mattson
Posted 2005-08-26 11:20 PM (#139218 - in reply to #139214)

Yep -- that's it. Sorry about the song -- forgot that I'd pulled it. If you hear a pop or crackle in the middle of something and it didn't come from your playing (ie: computer or electronics generated) that's an artifact.
tomato
Posted 2005-08-26 11:55 PM (#139219 - in reply to #139214)

Cool.
Thanks.
I will check the interface out.
I used to live in the big swamp, down around Okeechobee way.
Indiantown, actually.
I got to play a lot of country music in the Okeechobee & Palm Bch. county area bars.
Only visited Tampa once or twice. Busch gardens I think.
Couldn't take the year round heat.
Much prefer Oregon.
Been here about 4 years.
Not planning on leaving. Just waitin' for the "BIG ONE".
Watch out for that hurricane; though it seems the closest it will get to you is the Panhandle.
tom
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-27 2:41 PM (#139220 - in reply to #139214)

Tomato, where in Oregon are you?

What a great song title.
tomato
Posted 2005-08-27 3:13 PM (#139221 - in reply to #139214)

Albany.
Midway between Eugene and Portland. Just east of Corvallis.
Love it here. Got beaches one hour to the west, mountains just to the east and an incredible variety of natural wonders.
Actually wrote a song called Here in Oregon when I arrived.
Wrote it on a Taylor which I have since sold. Played great but the tone was lacking. My Ovation 1114 sounded better. Waitin' on my 6774 which will be here Thursday.
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-27 3:44 PM (#139222 - in reply to #139214)

I'm up in Colton. About 1/2 way between Molalla and Estacada, 20 miles or so east of Woodburn.

Belated welcome to Oregon! If you can overlook the idiots that 'run' this state, it's a beautiful place to live.
tomato
Posted 2005-08-27 4:43 PM (#139223 - in reply to #139214)

Yeah,
I try to not pay much attention to the idiots that run most of the states that I've lived in. It's still the land of the free for the time bein'; so I guess that I am free to ignore them. My wife and I stop at that outlet mall in Woodburn once in a while on our way north. I love it here in Oregon. We do a lot of tent camping and try to visit someplace new in the state each time. Just hide out in the woods where the idiots can't find ya! Strum my guitar around a late night campfire and try to keep the melted marshmallow off of my strings.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)