The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Repair Questions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

JC
Posted 2005-07-27 9:20 AM (#142553)
Subject: Repair Questions

I got a really good deal (I think) on a 2005 Collector's Edition off of Ebay. Here is the catch - the guitar has three cracks on the top surface and is missing the preamp.

Does anyone have any idea how much it will cost to repair the cracks and replace the preamp? Is Ovation the best place to have the work done (I assume the answer is yes but any thoughts are appreciated)? Does anyone have a ballpark guess as to how much this will cost?

Thanks.

Jeremy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-27 9:25 AM (#142554 - in reply to #142553)
Subject: Re: Repair Questions

The Factory isthe best place to have the work done.

How did one get that beat up this fast? Youwch!

Ballpark guess is $350 for the Preamp and $200 for the cracks. Only Customer Service can say for sure.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-27 9:26 AM (#142555 - in reply to #142553)

Call ovation customer service (I think they are closed for the next week or so). I don't know about prices, but they would be my first choice to get the job done right. Wild ass guess maybe the pre-amp is $100. or just pocket one from Guitar Center. Crack repair cost will depend how bad it is. Dave
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-27 9:30 AM (#142556 - in reply to #142553)

The factory is the ONLY place to get the repair done.
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-27 9:30 AM (#142557 - in reply to #142553)

"or just pocket one from Guitar Center"

In the silverdale Ted Brown there is a lovely 2003 Collector's with an OP 10 I like to play from time to time...
ChatMan
Posted 2005-07-27 10:30 AM (#142558 - in reply to #142553)

Congratulations,

I was in it for a while, got a little hectic at the end. You were substantially more interested than I, good luck with it.
ChatMan
Posted 2005-07-27 10:33 AM (#142559 - in reply to #142553)

Oh, I talked kind of extensively with Tony C as I was looking at this. Seems the factory can do a smashing (oops, bad choice of words) job on the top for not a lot of money. The preamp is another story, MWoody has a bit of experience in the battery operated end of things around here, just keep hot irons out of his hands ;) , you'll be fine.
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-27 10:56 AM (#142560 - in reply to #142553)

I will stick to woodworking and moving dirt. Much more forgiving.
Dare I ask, hows the project going?
ChatMan
Posted 2005-07-27 11:02 AM (#142561 - in reply to #142553)

Let's see, I'm rewiring the two switches and one potentiometer. touching up the stray cold solder joint here and there and then I can evaluate if this Phoenix can rise from the ashes. should know by the end of this week.
JC
Posted 2005-07-27 11:07 AM (#142562 - in reply to #142553)

Thanks very much for all the replies. I suspected that the factory would be the best place to have the repair done. When I called, they said the shop was closed until August 1st. I will call back.

Jeremy
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-27 11:14 AM (#142563 - in reply to #142553)

tist/step_5_final.jpg">
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-07-27 11:41 AM (#142564 - in reply to #142553)

JC:
That guitar had a lot of perople interested. Send it to the factory. The pre-amp fix may take more than just popping in a new module. Also only the factory can fix thoses cracks in the top and make them as invisible as possible. Even if it costs $500 to do it right, you'll have a great guitar for several hundred less than what that guitar would cost new.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-27 12:57 PM (#142565 - in reply to #142553)

I was watching that one, too and may have started a thread about it. I was concerned it was a theft. The only other thought was a dealer had it when somebody damaged it, took out the module and sold the salvage to Junk Auctions.
schroeder
Posted 2005-07-27 4:23 PM (#142566 - in reply to #142553)

Looking at Woody's artwork - anybody know how cruster's million-watt stack is progressing? He's been very quiet lately.
cruster
Posted 2005-07-27 6:52 PM (#142567 - in reply to #142553)

Million watt stack? Yikes. The scratch built amp came off smashingly, although I've been lazy and still haven't built the enclosure (it's just going to be a head, so really I only have to cut four pieces, right?). Still, as a bare chassis it's working quite well. You can check out the pics in my gallery at:

http://shermonster.org/gallery/AX84-P1x-Build

I also put a bunch of build notes (hardly) up in my blog at:

http://www.shermonster.org/blog/index.php?catid=2&blogid=1

Hope those links work for any so inclined. ;)

Yes, very quiet. On the boards anyway. I still read the OFC and the Hamer Museum a couple of times each week, but I've completely abandoned the HFC. Work has picked up a bit as I've gone from managing the UNIX end of zero projects to four and they're all short time frame, high visibility. :rolleyes: Beyond that, we went up to the cottage in TC for a week, which was nice for 'decompression' purposes, but it looks like we won't get back up to there until the third week of August and maybe again the first part of September; bummer. I spent several days bumming around the area looking for a sailboat. I've actually located a likely prospect down in Waterford, but I need to get down there to scope it out and wheel & deal.

I sold my Yamaha Motif 8 keyboard to a church in Clawson and had to truck it down there, which proved...interesting to say the least. Spent some time with my buddy who just broke off his engagement (he'd kill me if he knew this but I think it's a good thing). I've been trying to teach my 15 year old son to look left-right-left when driving and to use all the freaking mirrors. What else...does there need to be more? ;) On top of all that, we have had a bluezillion family/friend things (parties, receptions, whatever) to attend. I'm starting to dislike summer.

Just so I can say I posted something with OFC content...I'm thinking of selling my Elite (1868-4), Hamer Studio FM (absolutely stunning, again many thanks to Al) and Cropper Classic. All so I can buy one of the new O's from Al (mebee even an Adamas ). Since I bought the Steinberger, I've played just that and the O, everything else sits. Weird.

Anyway, that's all the news from Sparkle City. Thanks for thinking of me. ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)