The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
String gauge effects

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Markthemagic
Posted 2005-08-04 10:19 AM (#141621)
Subject: String gauge effects

Hi All,

I have been very busy and haven't been posting for awhile, but have looked in from time to time.

I have been thinking of trying medium gauge strings on my 1871 Balladeer for awhile, but don't want to change the action.

I primarily play the 1871 with my band plugged in and use my Seagull S6 for a backup. Seagull recommends light strings for their guitars and the last time I bought strings (I buy in bulk) was before I acquired my 1871. I bought it used and can't remember what gauge strings it came with.

Our bass player and electric player occasionally play acoustic guitar and both use medium strings. There is definitely a difference in sound(deeper and more volume), but one has a Takamine EG something and the other uses an older Martin that he has had for almost 30 years. Maybe a D-26. Because of this I cannot tell how much of the difference comes from string gauge and how much comes from difference in guitars. It also always amazes me how much different the 1871 sounds to me when I play it and how it sounds when someone else plays it and I am listening from in front of it. Plugged in it is great. We recently did a live recording and it was great. Sounded all percussive and chimey. Don't want to loose that amplified sound either.

The action on my Seagull is higher than the 1871 and a different sound altogether (Very high end and chimey). I do not mind high action, probably because of the cheap guitar I learned on. Everything I have played since has much better action and so I have never tried to lower the action on any of my 6 or so guitars I have acquired since.

I do not want to change the truss adjustment, because I have never done that and don't have a tool to do it. Didn't want to make this a big deal, just wanted to hear the difference in string gauge.

How likely is it that I will need to change the truss adjustment?

Here are the gauges I am talking about since I do not know how precise or uniform the term light and medium are when describing string gauge.

Light; .012, .016, .025, .032, .042, .054

Medium; .013, .017, .026, .035, .045, .057

Thanks for any input.

Mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ChatMan
Posted 2005-08-04 10:46 AM (#141622 - in reply to #141621)
Subject: Re: String gauge effects

Having been here recently, I can address the question from a 2005ES and Adamas perspective. The reason I give this caveat is that the answer is going to be a little complex and neck construction dependent.

Assuming you are not super sensitive to action height, I can say that the only issue you will face is intonation due to excessive relief in the neck. I would think it unlikely in the extreme (bordering on the impossible) that you would develop string buzz by installing heavier gauge strings. You may notice more curvature to top due to increased string tension, but again that is only going to affect action height. When I went from lights to medium (similar in gauge to yours) I found no difference in the neck. I suppose if you went in with feeler gauges you might find a thousandth or two difference, but I could not find a noticable change. On either guitar. And they have two different neck bracing systems.

I did notice a huge change in the sound of the guitar. My interpretation of it is as if someone had turned down the treble. Not so much a volume thing as a tone thing.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-08-04 11:10 AM (#141623 - in reply to #141621)

I've gone from lights to mediums in the past and never had a problem with the neck. Just do it. Why ask for a lot of opinions when in 20 minutes you can change the strings and know for certain. The worst case scenario is that you'll end up going back to what you know and be out the cost of a set of strings.

But your guitar should have a K-bar in it. Rock solid.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-04 11:36 AM (#141624 - in reply to #141621)

I was going to start another thread but this fits right in.
After months of being badgered, belittled, and having my manhood questioned, I put mediums on my AD-II. If there was any change in the action, it's not noticeable.
However...and I'm getting into some very subjective descriptions here... I'm not very happy or impressed with the sound. IMHO, I lost the clarity that I had so much of before. That guitar rings like a bell with lights. With mediums it sounds like.....well...it sounds more like a wood box guitar. Yes, it is a bit louder. But if I need "louder" I can take care of that with a twist of a knob.
So...call me a sissy if you must. Question my ability to father children....but I'm going back to lights. Just like they come out of the factory.
Strummin12
Posted 2005-08-04 12:36 PM (#141625 - in reply to #141621)

Ya know, I tried mediums on my '05 last week. I tend to like a thick, full, bassy, bottom heavy sound, so it seemed like a logicial switch to make. So confident I would love the new guage, I bought 4 sets.

Frankly, I hated it and went right back to lights. The heavier guage changed the tone in a way that, for me, wasn't pleasant, aside from making the action so high I could drive a bus under it (that's adjustable, I know). The timbre that made the guitar special went right out the window with the heavier guage. And I wanted to like it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-08-04 12:46 PM (#141626 - in reply to #141621)

What kind of strings did you put on it?
Strummin12
Posted 2005-08-04 12:53 PM (#141627 - in reply to #141621)

D'addario, EJ17 Phosper Bronze. I typically use EJ16's with great results.
cliff
Posted 2005-08-04 1:25 PM (#141628 - in reply to #141621)

EJ16's are all I use as well . . . .
Paulcc1
Posted 2005-08-04 1:51 PM (#141629 - in reply to #141621)

Cliff two questions are the EJ16s light ga. and are they bronze or Phos. bronze?
Paul
Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-04 1:52 PM (#141630 - in reply to #141621)

when you change to a heavier set like that, do one string at a time. then it's not quite a shock to the neck/FB.
same goes for going lighter..and basically any time you change strings unless you need to give the FB a little cleaning...
as far as the truss rod...get the wrench and use it! just be careful.
beginning to adjust your own neck isn't that involved! if there's too much downward bow(action will feel high) tighten it a 1/4 turn, if it's the opposite, loosen it a 1/4 turn. it's best to wait a day or so before you do any more than 1/4, to see if the neck will take some time to fully adjust- especially ebony.
remember- a 1/4 turn is usually enough to adjust the neck to accept new strings or to adjust due to humidity. a 1/2 turn is a big adjustment in my book of mostly newer guitars.

again...BE CAREFUL, but not afraid :D
or, go to a place you trust and ask someone to tweak the rod for you...maybe they'll even do it for free...
don't specifically say..."hey can you tweak my rod" though.
cliff
Posted 2005-08-04 1:59 PM (#141631 - in reply to #141621)

PhosBronze, Paul (and yes, they're considered LightGauge).
Paulcc1
Posted 2005-08-04 3:45 PM (#141632 - in reply to #141621)

Thanks Cliff,
Right now I use John Pearse and I like them but they can be hard to find and a bit on the expensive side I may look in to the EJ16.
Paul
Paulcc1
Posted 2005-08-04 3:48 PM (#141633 - in reply to #141621)

By the way the EJ16 are D'Addario
Paul :eek:
cliff
Posted 2005-08-04 3:50 PM (#141634 - in reply to #141621)

Yes, they are.
(Just like Strumming12 said, 7 posts up)
;)
Paulcc1
Posted 2005-08-04 4:22 PM (#141635 - in reply to #141621)

Ohhhhhhhhhhh did not read that far up ding, ding what do we have for him Johnny.
John B
Posted 2005-08-05 5:29 AM (#141636 - in reply to #141621)

I also typically use EJ16's as well, but I have a Martin DC1E that mediums sound awesome on. I keep that guitar detuned 1/2 step so the mediums eliminate fret buzz also.

One very cool thing about D'adarrio strings is that they are available in 3 packs which normally will save a few bucks. They also make a great coated string that a prefer over Elixir.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)