The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : <123456 7 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
GIVE A LISTEN .....Home Recordings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

stonebobbo
Posted 2005-06-08 12:56 AM (#151536 - in reply to #151386)
Subject: Re: GIVE A LISTEN .....Home Recordings

I'd like to hear a cover of Bill Shatner's version. :cool:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2005-09-12 9:34 AM (#151537 - in reply to #151386)
Subject: Re: GIVE A LISTEN .....Home Recordings

Stephent28;

In lieu of (again) commandeering the other thread "off topic", I thought I'd tack on the answer to your question here regarding my HomeRecording situation:

The major "difficulty" that I've been faced with, is that I just don't have the necessary TIME to invest t'get things to work properly, so I'd been doing smatterings of "attempts" whenever I can steal a few minutes.

When I had initially installed the M-Audio2496 card and CubaseSE on my new Dell, and got them to "recognize" each other, I was elated!

I fumphered my way of being able to get tracks into the software and play 'em back. Before the OFC Tour, I hastily did a quick run-through of "Taxi" (for Miles) and THOUGHT that I had successfully burned it to CD . . . I was wrong. When Miles received it, it was useless.

I'd been using my Tascam 4-track tape machine as a defacto "mixer", but was unable to monitor previous tracks in the headphones while monitoring subsequent ones. Remedied that with the purchase of a Behringer UB802 mixer (fer $50, nice lil' "bit o'kit"). After everything was hooked up, I was STILL experiencing "monitoring" and "latency" problems! Last Resort: Read the f*&%ng BOOK(s)! Cubase book: ". . check with audio card documentation . ." M-Audio book: ". . refer to recording software documentation/website . ."
Spent a weekend with a music stand on my left with one book, another music stand on the right with the other book, and my workstation in the middle being called every imaginable expletive possible by yours truly . . .
That evening, on my way out to the garage to fetch a 7lb. sledge and revert back to "cassette technology", I ran into one of my neighbors who got me stoned, and I then had it all "figured out and working" in ten minutes. (I'm considering having t-shirts printed that say "Ask Me About ASIO").
Was then able to record multiple guitar/audio tracks while selectively monitoring previous tracks, add effects (some of the Cubase effects are pretty cool), but couldn't (for the life of me) accomplish the "mixdown" and burn the track to CD. Spent two hours searching the Cubase documentation (which consists of a 650-plus page .pdf document on my hard drive). After getting thoroughly frustrated, I opted for the "easy way out" . . . went to go visit my neighbor . . .

I am now able to record multiple tracks, mixdown, burn to CD, and/or rip to mp3. Joy! Rapture!! Shoulda' done this a LONG time ago!!!

This past Sat. night was our first post-Katrina gig, and I wanted to open with something befitting. Decided on Jesse Winchester's "Biloxi". My fuckwit partner (who's a child of 80's HairMetalCrap), thinks Jesse Winchester is a character from "High Noon", and doesn't even know where Biloxi IS, let alone know the song . . .
I (easily) recorded a duo guitar/vocal arrangement and ripped it to mp3. Unfortunately was unable to e-mail it to him (I'm embarassingly STILL on "dial-up :-( We DID end up doing the song, off of a quickly-scribbled arrangement on the music stand, but I can see how this has real potential for working things out over a distance, and getting some audio files posted on our website (plus the fact that NOW I can finally work on some "originals").

At this point, I'm REALLY happy with my purchase(s).

NOW . . . I gotta find a decent condenser mic . . . and (somehow) find some more TIME!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)