The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Single soundhole Adamas?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

cruster
Posted 2005-09-10 7:40 AM (#137881)
Subject: Single soundhole Adamas?

Have a line on a used (3 years old) Adamas that is described as being a limited edition with round soundhole. I'm waiting for pics and stuff, but...anyone hear of such a thing? I don't see one listed on the Adamas website and a search here was unproductive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2005-09-10 8:22 AM (#137882 - in reply to #137881)
Subject: Re: Single soundhole Adamas?

Yes, they exist. But why? The answer seems to be only that someone wanted to try to make one with one hole in it. Previous threads on this topic, and some people seem to like them.
cruster
Posted 2005-09-10 9:01 AM (#137883 - in reply to #137881)

Is there a model number I could search on? I tried 'adamas round sound hole' (or something close) and don't recall any specific threads. Learn something new every day...
cc407
Posted 2005-09-10 9:40 AM (#137884 - in reply to #137881)

Saw one on e-bay last week - black with a center soundhole. Never saw one before.
cruster
Posted 2005-09-10 10:36 AM (#137885 - in reply to #137881)

A-ha! Adamas 6591 it is! Now to search the archives. Thanks, cc!
cliff
Posted 2005-09-10 11:01 AM (#137886 - in reply to #137881)

Do a Search for "Tits on a Nun" . . . you'll find it.
cruster
Posted 2005-09-10 11:27 AM (#137887 - in reply to #137881)

I always thought that was '...on a boar.'
Steve
Posted 2005-09-10 1:53 PM (#137888 - in reply to #137881)

...see cruster, your'e getting 'attitude' already on that model..quit while you're ahead (snicker..)

Steve
Beal
Posted 2005-09-10 3:51 PM (#137889 - in reply to #137881)

This will make it easy. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!
Jérôme
Posted 2005-09-10 4:43 PM (#137890 - in reply to #137881)

Hi,
SMT-6591 and CVT-W591 models.
The first one with unidirectional carbon top and the second with crossweave carbon top.
For more specifications, look at these catalogs.
The nice one in German was sent to me by our friend Karl (kidschool):

ADAMAS 2005 GERMAN CATALOG

ADAMAS 2004 US CATALOG

ADAMAS 2002 UK CATALOG

J ;)
an4340
Posted 2005-09-10 5:27 PM (#137891 - in reply to #137881)

If they're gonna make one, with one hole, that's worthwile, it'll be with that swoosh on the upper bout. Now that might sound alright, a little bit more bassy. Of the center holes, some people like 'em, most don't. I think they were done as an experiment to see if anyone would buy one. If it floats your boat then that's cool.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-09-10 5:44 PM (#137892 - in reply to #137881)

There is no audible reason to have a center soundhole on an adamas top. Why they ever came up with this afterbirth is beyond me.

However, I personally hate the looks of multi sound hole guitars with fig leafs on them. Yes, I own a few of them but it's not because I like the gay look. Guitars are meant to have a big ol' hole in the middle.

So, if you want a faux-adamas (all smooth tops are faux-adamas in my book), you like center sound hole guitars, and you don't care that this one probably sounds a lot worse than it's multihole sister, then this is the guitar for you.

Dave
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-09-10 6:16 PM (#137893 - in reply to #137881)

cruster, I played one that Elderly had a year or so ago....DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON IT!!!!!!!!

It didn't even sound as good as a non-LX Legend they had......

Roger
cruster
Posted 2005-09-10 8:03 PM (#137894 - in reply to #137881)

Hrmm, when w2 says an Adamas 'sucks' you have to go, 'Huh.' But, when Witko, Roger, cliffy and others back him up, you just have to say, 'HA! I'm buying it!'

:eek:

Just kidding. I was intrigued by the concept...sort of like seeing a burned out Blazer on the side of the highway surrounded by State cruisers and an ambulance and a couple of black zippered bags (obviously full). I had already decided the seller was asking far more than I was/am/would be willing to pay, so the point is moot. Thanks for the input, though!

Oh, and yes, I did see that highway scene once on I75 between Pontiac and Grand Blanc. ;)
MWoody
Posted 2005-09-10 10:10 PM (#137895 - in reply to #137881)

Well Crusty, I will say that on the positive side it must have had an excellent neck. Yes, a very playable POS!
cruster
Posted 2005-09-11 8:22 AM (#137896 - in reply to #137881)

Yes, Woody, my research into the archives have revealed that the Right Honorable W2 declared it to have a nice neck, decent electronics and a great case.

The phrase, 'damning with faint praise' springs to mind. ;)
ChatMan
Posted 2005-09-12 7:24 AM (#137897 - in reply to #137881)

As a former 6591 owner, I can offer some personal observations:

First the legal caveats - I have never had nor played any other Adamas so my experience is pretty limited but...

I have now or have had 6778 Elite Standard (early 1990's), 1111 Balladeer (1973), 2005 Collector's, the aforementioned 6591 and an HD28 (earlier life). Looking forward to having soon, a 1617 Legend with, I hope Kaman bar and A bracing, but that is yet to be seen and a Pacemaker 12.

My reactions to the 6591:

Aesthetically, I prefer the center sound hole to the multi-soundhole version. A lot. From a player's perspective, my technique sucks so much that I prefer the center sound hole. I use the edge of the sound hole to locate my stabilizing fingers while playing fingerstyle. I think the 6591 has clear tone, though not very harmonic. It has better sustain than my 2005 or any of the others. It is louder than any of the above mentioned guitars. It has a more even tone than any of the above, up and down the neck. If your predilection is towards electrics, this would likely make a palatable acoustic adjunct to your guitarsenal. You almost cannot overplay this guitar. I notice the 2005 and 1111, if I really start to strum with 'vigor', both start to sound muddled. Almost like the top gets confused. With the 6591, with play it lightly it's quiet, you pound away on the strings it gets louder. But I never felt that the guitar lost its sound quality regardless of how I played it. I did have some trouble selecting the correct strings but after trying many varieties I settled on Adamas lights and Webstrings Lights (which I also use on most of my guitars). However, that said, I did sell it. I also, at one time, sold the Martin. I sold it because the unplugged acoustic tone of the 2005 (or any other wood top, HD28 included) has so much more harmonic 'fullness' that I just didn't play the 6591. Once I had the 2005, with the XLR, I didn't play the Adamas for performing anymore. For fingerstyle, or as a first Ovation experience, the 6591 it is a nice guitar. Certainly impressed others that I performed with (keep in mind this is in a church setting so the sharpest criticism you'll generally get is a soundly neutral response but taking that into consideration the guitar still received good reviews). I definitely enjoyed owning the one I had, just enjoy other models more.

Final note: I kind of feel like a fish swimming upstream here. Going against a pretty hefty tide. But these observations for the most part were AB comparisons (the Martin excluded, all HD28 references are from memory as I sold it and was guitarless for about 4 years before buying the 6591 last year) with identical strings, usually brand new on both instruments (I change strings frequently). For the time I had the 6591, I had something of a bipolar relationship with it, though I would have to confess that this forum had a little to do with that. It's difficult to hear the unanimous cry of what a POS you have. I must say though, that I doubt that I would ever purchase another Adamas. Given a supply of uncommitted cash I might consider a slothead for its historical significance, but not necessarily as a player. Here's why. I do not think that you can get sufficient volume, acoustically, to matter in typical playing environments I encounter. Playing at night, for myself, in the ceramic tiled sound studio in my house, an Applause would probably be loud enough for my purposes. IN any group setting, with more than 2 or three voices, I want an amp. Even if it just a monitor to here myself. So the Adamas volume argument doesn't play for me. And I have had some private conversations with others on this forum specifically trying to decide if I should spend serious (for me) money on the OFC or the 45 reissue or any of the other Adamas GAS generators coming up. Oddly, the decider for me was the article from GN-Nick. The one that got him introduced here. He got me to think in terms of figuring out what I like to hear and what I like to play in my instruments rather than what they look like. Or what they are called. My current favorite guitar is a buzzy necked, cracked top 1111-4 from the sometime in the 70's. It has the most amazing sound. Louder than I would prefer, but when it sound this nice, I can live with it. It is the reason I purchased the upcoming Legend and the Pacemaker, all of them of vintage lineage. While I like my 2005 (not the bowl so much though, just keep that upstream orientation), I don't think it sounds near as nice as my Balladeer. But that's just me, YMMV.
ChatMan
Posted 2005-09-12 7:45 AM (#137898 - in reply to #137881)

Then again, I may be FOS. Look at the thread Adamas differences and there you'll hear all about the 'woody' Adami. As I said, YMMV.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)