The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Legend - Date my O

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

silent_elegy
Posted 2007-10-16 7:07 AM (#78181)
Subject: Ovation Legend - Date my O

I had a look at the section of this website which puts a year to your guitar, could I just double check with you guys the year of mine...and any other interesting facts you may know (maybe it was a good year for ovations!?)

Anyhow, its an ovation legend, model no. 1717 , serial number 308581.

Am I right to think its from 1985? If so its only year younger than I am! =D

The problem is I have two ovations and sadly I may need to sell one in the near future, I wanted to get my facts right before I advertise it anywhere.

It has a slight bend in the neck, plays fine until you get down between 10th and 13th fret on the B and high E string, go past that and its fine again! also it has a couple of dinks in it, apart from that it plays really well, plugged and unplugged.

What kind of price do you think I would get for an ovation in this state and of this age, I could post some pics if that'll help?

Cheers guys.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2007-10-16 7:53 AM (#78182 - in reply to #78181)
Subject: Re: Ovation Legend - Date my O

Others here know more about this than I do, but I think your 1717 replaced the older Legend model I have (1617). I picked that one up just a few weeks ago for $380, with no issues other than the kind of wear you might expect from a nearly 30-year-old guitar (a few minor finish dings). I've seen similar ones go in the neighborhood of $400-500 on eBay recently, but with a neck issue it'd probably be less than that.
brainslag
Posted 2007-10-16 9:07 AM (#78183 - in reply to #78181)

The serial number list on the Ovation web page will get you in the right general area, but don't take it as gospel-there are errors. The list goes from '83, to '84 when umm..only Balladeers and Elites were made (NOT) then 85-86. My Custom Legend (313423) would be an '85-86 guitar, but I bought it late in 1983.
silent_elegy
Posted 2007-10-16 11:25 AM (#78184 - in reply to #78181)

Thanks for your responses, I just wanted a brief idea of how old my guitar was, I was told it was around 15 years old when I bought it but obviously its a bit older than that. The problem is the more I talk about it the less I want to sell it!
Thanks again,
Chris
fillhixx
Posted 2007-10-16 11:45 AM (#78185 - in reply to #78181)

Originally posted by silent_elegy:
The problem is the more I talk about it the less I want to sell it!
Yeah, it gets even worse when you play it... ;)

A good guitar is hard to replace, a guitar you like is easy to miss.
<Still missing the Japanese electric with 4 mojo switches, 8 penlight batteries, and a 2" speaker that I had in 1969>
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)