The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
What is it about???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2007-11-03 8:24 AM (#76022 - in reply to #75997)
Subject: Re: What is it about???

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2007-11-03 8:43 AM (#76023 - in reply to #75997)

Now that's brilliant!

I've had 3 Taylors over the years. Nice but they didn't stay. Their lower end strike me as a glass of warm 1% milk. Nothing wrong with it but do you really want that, or would you rather have a nice cold glass of whole milk to float your cerial?
Or is Becks better than Sharps or you pick the comparison.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-03 9:32 AM (#76024 - in reply to #75997)

It's really hard to paint an entire brand name with a single broad brush. Sure, it's easy to say "Ovation is God and Taylor Sucks". But we all know that's not true. Some Ovations are really dogs. Same with Martin, Taylor, etc. The whole bunch have their high marks and low marks model by model. The "issue" that I have with Taylor is that I have had to try a LOT harder to find one that I liked. And yes, I have tried plenty of the high end models. Some were quite nice, but at the end of the day the word that my mind associates with Taylor is "ordinary". There are certainly exceptions (see below). In the Taylor-Martin comparison of similarly hyped and similarly priced guitars in the $3-$5k range, with Martin I actually feel like I'm getting something special, and with Taylor I feel like I'm getting ripped of by the name. I know that sounds grossly overstated, but that's just the gut feeling I walk away with 95% of the time. I can't change how my emotions react to them, I'm sorry. And because of this, yes my overall opinion is that I just don't like Taylors. Period.

Now here's a twist. Don't shoot me, but I am currently playing a Taylor 710-L9 and I actually DO like it. I'm borrowing it for a short time from another member. It's a short scale dread and it sounds and plays great. Everything about it is very, very nice. Trust me I am TRYING to find a reason not to like it and I can't come up with one. I guess I can no longer say that ALL Taylors have disappointed me - only 95% of them.

Dave
Beal
Posted 2007-11-03 10:34 AM (#76025 - in reply to #75997)

Bang! Bang!
BT717
Posted 2007-11-03 11:16 AM (#76026 - in reply to #75997)

Wow, I tried not to and didn't want to start a whole Taylor bash here, but, I'll say it again. To each his own. Maybe as someone who has only been playing for 6 yrs my ear isn't as trained as the rest of (or most of)you, but all I remember is going to G.C. playing many models and different MFG's and the 1 guitar I kept going back to was the Taylor 310. It was at the high end of what I could afford for a Solid wood guitar. I liked other models/brands for what they offered, warmer, brighter, the feel of the neck, price!, but there was something about that guitar that just sounded good to me, and made me want to play and improve.
Isn't that what it is suppose to be about???
The joy of playing music. I've heard some of your music on this website. I'm very impressed and wish I could be half of what I hear. I get the feeling that when I respond to a "Post" I am responding to a group of extra-ordinary musicians and a group of "people" who have been in the music business for quite a while. A group that knows what they are talking about. trust me , I'm not taking this too seriously, but, I think some of us need to remember what it was like our first few years of playing. The Joy we had when we got that first guitar that inspired us to play. What ever the make or model was. This is a an Ovation Lovers website first and for most. We joined because we have a passion for this "Guitar" lets not forget that and be open minded to understand the same passion for others. If I have offended anyone, broken and unwritten rule, I apoligize. Remember, I'm just a "baby" (LOL!!!)
Weaser P
Posted 2007-11-03 11:43 AM (#76027 - in reply to #75997)

"...but there was something about that guitar that just sounded good to me, and made me want to play and improve.
The joy of playing music."

Simply put, yes. Buy what sounds good to you and enjoy playing it. The rest is just subjective opinion (whether experienced or not) and most here will agree with that (StandingOvation aside, that brazenly opinionated...well, never mind that now). No harm, no foul, BT.

Oh and we eat rules for breakfast around here.
fillhixx
Posted 2007-11-03 11:51 AM (#76028 - in reply to #75997)

Originally posted by BT717:
YES!
and what anyone else thinks is totally irrelevant.
A group that knows what they are talking about.
Got you fooled, din't we?
This is a an Ovation Lovers website first and for most.
Man am I lost!
I thought it was the Sit-down Comedians Site...
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-03 12:00 PM (#76029 - in reply to #75997)

Everyone is going to have their favorite guitars and their less favorite guitars. It's all just personal opinion. Most of my least favorites all happen to be Taylors. So what? It doesn't mean anything. Other people gag at the guitars that I call my favorites. It doesn't bother me.

Dave
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-03 12:51 PM (#76030 - in reply to #75997)

Everyone has personal preferences.
Ovation, Adamas, Gibson, Guild, Martin Takimine and Taylor are the big boys, in Quality Acoustic Guitar market.
Then you have smaller builders like Collings, Santa Cruz, Tocoma, Huss & Dalton, Merril, Larrivee,
Breedlove, Rain Song, and other.
Then you have boutique builders Vince Pawless.
They all make fine guitars.
Which one is right depends on who you are and how you play.

Even inside brands there preferences.
I perfer traditional series with wood tops.
Does this mean Adamas or LX models are no good?
Certainly not.
Its just not for me.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-11-03 1:08 PM (#76031 - in reply to #75997)

Now that many have posted-- My turn. Everybody Needs Somebody To Cream On!
So we may as well pick on the most snobbishly expensive guitar company we can find.
And Taylor just begs to be picked-on!
Larivee is also a good choice, but Larivee doesn't seem so stuck-up!

Volvo is just as expensive as Mercedes!
But school teachers drive Volvos, and Lawyers drive Mercedes!
'nuff said!
BT717
Posted 2007-11-03 1:23 PM (#76032 - in reply to #75997)

I hear a bit of the passion I tried to talk about!!
Cool! Here' to just playing, what ever it is!!!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)