The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Levelling the bottom of a saddle slot - BFLG questions again

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2014-05-11 3:23 PM (#486538)
Subject: Levelling the bottom of a saddle slot - BFLG questions again

The bottom of a saddle slot is not flat. The ends dip down a small amount, resulting in the piezo saddle rocking a little bit on the high spot. The little dips are under the last 1/4" of the slot. The middle section seems to be flat. This guitar needs approximately .085" of shimming. This morning I made a custom bone shim and discovered the problem with the bottom of the slot. As a rough guess the dips are about .010" at the ends.

I'd like to either level the bottom of the slot, or come up with a simple way to profile it so a custom shim can be sanded to shape.

I definitely don't have the nerve to try routing out the slot with power tools.

I'm thinking some kind of clay or play-dough could be used to mold the slot, and then if it doesn't adhere it could be removed and used as a pattern for the shim.

Alternatively, perhaps put a small amount of some sort of paste or thick liquid into the slot to level it out, which would become permanent.

Ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nerdydave
Posted 2014-05-11 3:37 PM (#486540 - in reply to #486538)
Subject: Re: Levelling the bottom of a saddle slot - BFLG questions again

If all you need is .010 inches off each side I would use a hand tool to remove said material. A little crocus cloth on an appropriate wood support or there are small files also that could fit in the required space to do the job. That way you would not inadvertently remove too much material. You could make a small straight edge to know when you have achieved the desired effect.
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-11 7:08 PM (#486547 - in reply to #486538)
Subject: Re: Levelling the bottom of a saddle slot - BFLG questions again

Two ways to bring the low spots up to the height of the surrounding area.

One is epoxy paste or putty. These can be found in the hardware store and are sold in two strips. You break off equal-size pieces and massage them together, then push them into the space to fill.

The other is to plug any holes in the wood with candle wax. Scrape off the excess wax so it's level with the surrounding area. Then mix up some laminating resin and use a toothpick or small paint brush to add resin to the low area(s). Add resin until the low spots are level with the high areas.

The second technique will require more care to make sure the liquid epoxy doesn't leak anywhere. The paste/putty is thick, like silly putty, so it can be pressed into place, the excess scraped off and left to dry.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)