The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

cb13
Posted 2013-05-03 11:37 AM (#470144)
Subject: New member

Hi All-

Just joined. I have a slowly developing case of GAS, and am actively looking to acquire a UK2. Long ago (?15 yrs) I almost bought what was probably a Viper at a local shop here in CT. I didn't know much about Ovation electrics then, but was impressed by the quality and playability. Being CT born and raised, I've always been intrigued by the Charles Kaman story as well. As I'm getting older (56) I find myself more and more interested in all things vintage. Thus '66 Mustang (the car), '70 ES335, '79 Guild D25M, '66 Supro model 66 amp- you get the idea. I saw a UK2 in a random browse on eBay a few months ago and after some research and help from the enthusiasm on your forums, have decided I have to have one! Also Damon's version of No More Tears on his UK2 got to me.
At some point I might be interested in an acoustic, but the tremendous variety of Ovation acoustics is intimidating- I wouldn't know where to start.

Anyway, my main initial question about the UK2 is which bridge version people prefer- in terms of sustain, adjustability, etc. The bridge seems to be the major structural change between earlier and later versions. I see it also appears to be the same bridge on some other electrics also. I couldn't find much specifically on this topic, though saw one thread on troubles adjusting the saddles on the earlier version, and I thought I saw a comment about one bridge having better sustain, but couldn't find the thread again. If bridge issues aren't a major concern, I like the look of the 'bowtie' fret markers on earlier models.

I hope this wasn't too long winded, but wanted to give a little background. If I end up with a UK2, I'll surely be posting and sharing my experience. I think it will sound great through my Supro!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2013-05-03 2:24 PM (#470147 - in reply to #470144)
Subject: Re: New member

Welcome CB!

A man after my own heart (and yes, I've referred to my UKII as 'my heart' before).

I have 2 UKIIs, one with the older, and one with the newer bridge, and have had both on Vipers too. I prefer the newer. It's easier to adjust when needed, the sustain seems A TAD better, and I just like the feel of it under my hand a bit. I also like the look. Really the difference is minimal though.

I've updated your membership, so feel free to post throughout the site.

Good luck on the hunt!
Damon67
Posted 2013-05-03 2:27 PM (#470148 - in reply to #470147)
Subject: Re: New member

To help with the GAS some....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)