The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
how to ship a 1992 collector series?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

timiko
Posted 2011-05-24 9:59 PM (#351862)
Subject: how to ship a 1992 collector series?

I just purchased a 1992 collector series off of ebay! ( cant wait to get my hands on her!) and I am in need of some info on the best way to ship her so she arrives in great condition. any help would be appreciated. I will forward the info to the seller and pray she gets here in good shape.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2011-05-24 10:51 PM (#351863 - in reply to #351862)
Subject: Re: how to ship a 1992 collector series?

In the original hard case, inside a good guitar box. Take a ton of pictures of the process so any damage claim can be backed up if/when the shipper tries to claim insufficient packing. Buy plenty of insurance to cover full replacement value.

Pack a little bit of small bubble wrap around the body as necessary to just get the body snug in the case. You don't want to jack the body up higher in the case, you want to keep it from sloshing around side to side. Put some bubble wrap behind the headstock to keep it from moving backwards if dropped flat on its back. Detune the guitar. (this one is questionable since Ovation ships guitars tuned to concert pitch, but the shipping company may argue a tuned guitar is not properly packed, so detune it for insurance).

Get a guitar box from a music store, put the case into the box. Put a little bit of bubble wrap in the bottom before sliding the case in. Put a layer of thin bubble wrap down the sides to cushion the hard case inside the box. Cut a piece of cardboard the dimensions of the cross section of the box, and then cut a hole in it so it can slide over the neck of the case and slide down inside the box to keep the neck of the case from sloshing side to side inside the box. Fill with bubble wrap or peanuts (I hate peanuts but they are easy to put in).

Tape every edge with good tape. Put some FRAGILE stickers on it.

Take it to your carrier of choice, they all seem to break guitars, and they all get guitars there safely. If you are really paranoid, pay for 2 day service. The last time I checked, 2 day UPS was about twice regular ground shipping.

Good luck, and post pics when you get it!
timiko
Posted 2011-05-24 11:27 PM (#351864 - in reply to #351862)

thanks flysig for the info. I just recieved a email from the seller. he does not have the hard case (I knew this before I bought it) he said he has it in a oversized mooradian gig bag and has it well packed in a taylor shipping box
G8r
Posted 2011-05-25 9:46 AM (#351865 - in reply to #351862)

Here's a photo tutorial from another forum on how to pack a guitar for safe shipping . Since the seller doesn't have a hard case, he should double box it (even if it costs a bit more). Most shippers WILL NOT honor a damage claim to a guitar without a hard case that's not double boxed. For your own protection, photograph each step in the packing process. If the guitar is damaged in shipment, you at least have the photos to back up your claim.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)