The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Next level suggestions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

dcrunner
Posted 2004-04-15 10:09 PM (#189799)
Subject: Next level suggestions

I've been playing a '92 1862 custom balladeer for some time now (it has an amazing sound), but am looking to make a step up. I've played several other models, but am interested to see what others have to say. Any suggestions for an upgrade?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-15 11:23 PM (#189800 - in reply to #189799)
Subject: Re: Next level suggestions

Welcome!

Lots of good arguments... er, discussions going on lately. Figure out how much you can spend and get your hands on as many different instruments as you can! There is no "one" guitar to keep you from wanting another. Many of us are admitedly Ovationaholics - which fits because we do meet regularly. :D

BTW: I love my LX, I am learning to use my 12 string and I yearn for something not even made yet!

Peace
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-04-16 8:57 AM (#189801 - in reply to #189799)

Woody - it's good we don't need a 12 Step Program yet.

dcrunner - first step: get out of politics (sorry; couldn't resist, given the user name and the fact that it is an election year).

Seriously, Woody is right. There are a lot of opinions on this board, some more correct than others, of course.

The #1862 is a shallow bowl with electronics that are a couple of generations old now. My recommendation would depend on whether your primary application is plugged-in or unplugged.

An LX seems a good choice in a new guitar. They are great sounding acoustically as well as having the current generation of electronics.

If a 'used' price is your range, look for a Legend or Elite. If the sky is the limit, get an Adamas.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-04-16 9:06 AM (#189802 - in reply to #189799)

...try any Multi-hole... Elite or Collectors, or Adamas... the sound is truly amazing!

tim
Jiminos
Posted 2004-04-18 9:24 PM (#189803 - in reply to #189799)

hmmmm.... i have a CL-30th, an SMT, well, the list is in my sig... and surprisingly... when I want to practice a lot of different styles at home... i almost invariably grab my Elite Special... just something about the sound of that thing... when I play out, i take two guitars with me... my CL-30 and my elite special... the sound just jumps off that elite... maybe it's just me, but i think it has better projection than the CL... what do i know? the elite isn't the spendiest that O makes, but it is one of the best imho.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-18 9:47 PM (#189804 - in reply to #189799)

Welcome to the board, First and foremost ask yourself if you are playing mostly plugged in or not. Then Start looking at some of the models that are a step up in progression.
It used to be Baladeer, Legend, Elite, Then Custom Legend and Custom Elite. Now with the arriva ofthe newer LX Models You actually could get a nice Standard Baladeer LX Or the Standard Elite LX Both are Mid Bowl and have a great Acoustic Unplugged sound. New Original Pick-up design along with the new Op-Pro Preamp also give you the option of a great plugged in sound.
Next in Line are the Legend and the elite Models.
Find your local Ovation Dealer and Play some of the Models and then decide what works best for your particular needs. I personally play an Elite 1858 12 String Mid Bowl Model. When I played the Newer Models at the factory Tour The Standard Baladeer had a great Sound. as did The Legend LX And The Elite LX.
Ovations are great Guitars and with any USA Model you decide on you'll have a great instrument.
Just my 2 cents Worth.
Lightfoot
Posted 2004-04-19 3:34 PM (#189805 - in reply to #189799)

The logical step would be to an electric Legend or a 12 stringer. Could even go all the way to Elite.
dcrunner
Posted 2004-04-20 2:20 PM (#189806 - in reply to #189799)

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. I'm fairly sure i'm going to try to sell my '92 1862 Custom Balladeer, instead of just buying a second Ovation. How much should I try to get out of it? I'm not sure at all it's current value. It is in very good condition, with new strings, but has 3 small cracks in the varnish near the bridge as a problem.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-04-20 2:46 PM (#189807 - in reply to #189799)

eBay has become the venue of choice for most sellers of used instruments. An 1862 with hard case may bring $250 - $350 with the ubiquitous finish cracks you describe.

Where in Iowa are you?
dcrunner
Posted 2004-04-20 2:56 PM (#189808 - in reply to #189799)

Im in Iowa City now. Last summer i moved here from davenport.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-04-20 3:37 PM (#189809 - in reply to #189799)

I spent a year and a half in Mt. Pleasant at Iowa Wesleyan. That was a long time ago, in a universe far, far away. My band played some frat gigs at the U. in Iowa City, so I used to know my way around the area.

I'm in the Omaha area, not too far due west from you.
dcrunner
Posted 2004-04-20 3:56 PM (#189810 - in reply to #189799)

im at the university now, (thats why im so tight moneywise)and am looking to get a little more serious with my playing. I cant afford an Adamas, and already know alot about the LX's. What I want to know, although im sure its all up to the individual, is what series of guitars i can upgrade to that are arguably more ideal just being played acoustic and what i should lean to if i want to go primarily amplified/electric.

BTW I go through Mt. Pleasant often to visit friends/relatives
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-20 4:26 PM (#189811 - in reply to #189799)

IMHO - Shallow bodied Legends for plugged in and deep bodied Elites for acoustic!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)