The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
When it Rains..It Pours!!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-20 12:54 PM (#189496)
Subject: When it Rains..It Pours!!

Just when you start a fund to help you make your cherished Ovation Purchases..MURPHY"S LAW Intervenes!
On the way home from Work yesterday, 2 Miles From
Home, My 96 Grand Am Bit The Dust, Took a long Dirt Knap,..Died..Whatever Phrase fits Best.
If Possible I'll Have to see if the Engine can be rebuilt..But I'm looking at some Bucks!!
So,..(Sniff, Sniff) my Ovation Purchase will have to wait even Longer. Guess that means I've got to raid my Guitar Money to help Keep This Car On The Road.
I know,..Why don't I just get a new One???
Because the Grand Am Is Paid For..and I don't want another Car Payment if I can Help it!
Lets review this again...Car Repair...Ovation Purchase,....Car Repair,..Ovation Purchase...
Gosh!!! I hate to bring up the old saying again..
but When it Rains..It Pours
:(
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-04-20 2:25 PM (#189497 - in reply to #189496)
Subject: Re: When it Rains..It Pours!!

Life is full of choices... Legend... Custom Legend ... Legend LX ... Elite ... Elite Standard ... Elite LX ... Elite - T with Flame Red... Elite -T with Purple flame ... Al DiMeola... Am I helping you here Steve? :D
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-20 3:00 PM (#189498 - in reply to #189496)

Gee Craig,
I knew I could Count on you to give me a dose of reality :D
Wish I could just let this Car thing sit and get my new Ovation 6 String.
Teh Good news Is there will Still Be Ovations Out there to Buy, even if i have to wait awile.
Not Saying That i really want to wait, But I will!
Did I really just say that??? :D
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-20 5:02 PM (#189499 - in reply to #189496)

Well when you say died... bit the dust... I mean there are degrees of bit the dust ya know?

If you fu'd the crank or a rod... tis drop in engine time. If its like a head or head gasket... thats fixable. If you broke a valve...er... depends on the engine but probably fixable. If its like only the water pump or something, then its REAL fixable.

Hope it all works out.

And, you can get "factory certified" rebuilds as opposed to an engine out of a yard someplace. Generally worth the extra couple of hundred you'll spend. And also... if you find a shop to do it (lets say, not the dealer) you can probably also save some money by getting the engine yourself, paying for it yourself, then having the shop install it. Of course they wont warrant it, but if you get a certified rebuild it'll have a warranty. They ought to warrant their work though.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-20 5:13 PM (#189500 - in reply to #189496)

Thanks charle,
They Believe it's going to take at least a rebuild.Teh Oil Pump Apparently froze up while the car was in motion-when it did The engine locked. Can't tell the extent of the damage until they get in their. If I'm Lucky they'll be able to rebuild the existing engine-If Not, yeah, just like you said-Drop in Engine Time. We'll see where this takes me. I really need to keep it on the road. Thanks for the advice
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-20 7:48 PM (#189501 - in reply to #189496)

Oil pump... they go two ways: snap shaft or pin that drives 'em from the camshaft, or they just lose pressure.

If the oil pump went, and the engine seized... dont even try a repair. They might get it running, but the potential for damage is too great. You've got main and rod bearings, cylinder walls, camshaft bearings, valve train etc etc etc. Then there's the associated heat damage.

I'd personally cut my losses and find another mill to drop in there. You'd have to do a serious total rebuild to ensure a reliable plant, and the labor for THAT would be way more than a used engine, and even more than a "certified rebuilt" (where they do many many rebuilds of the same engine on a semi production basis). A one off "get it running" fix might be ok if you wanted it to run in order to sell it quick.

Ford uses an outfit called "Fred Jones" that does the certified rebuilds, but I'm not sure who GM/Pontiac uses. On the bright side you may be able to get a newer engine for not so much $$$.
TRboy
Posted 2004-04-20 9:36 PM (#189502 - in reply to #189496)

"When it rains...It Pours!!" I know what you mean bro!! Sorry to hear of your troubles...anything I can do to help? There's nothing worst than car trouble (especially if it's your only mode of transportation) but CharlieB is 100% correct in suggesting a total engine replacement!! Nowadays unless you own or have free access to a complete machine shop and/or have a favorite uncle who's a top-notch mechanic (plus owns a parts house!!) and will totally rebuild your engine for free, then the remanufactured engines (some carry pretty good warranties)are the hands down way-to-go!!(Yank the old one....shoehorn in the new one....no fuss/no muss!!)
I've got $20 I was gonna "kick in" for Cliff to win the Kaki King auction........but since he's not bidding......you're welcome to it!!
Let me know......Mike :cool:
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-21 9:38 AM (#189503 - in reply to #189496)

Mike ,
Thanks For the offer. Guess we'll see how much $$$
I'm looking at either way. I'll do whats best to keep it on the road. If i keep coming up short..
I'll Let you know. How's your uke Playing coming along?
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-21 11:05 AM (#189504 - in reply to #189496)

Steve,
Aren't you one of those radio announcer guy's (was there a matchbook involved)? Run a promo where the listeners can donate a perfect ride for you each week!

Specify it must be street legal and promise you will drive or ride in it.

It could be fun!
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-21 12:59 PM (#189505 - in reply to #189496)

Now there's a thought. Wonder if the company would go for it? Sounds like Fun! Come to think of it...I almost forgot which company I worked for( No It's Not Clear-Monopoly- Channel)..Can you say... Open up a Can of Worms??? :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)