The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Magnum questions and concerns

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Jon
Posted 2004-04-30 6:21 PM (#188799)
Subject: Magnum questions and concerns

I have a beautiful translucent Burgundy Mahogony Magnum bass with the serial B03XXX (can't remember the last digits). The finish is outstanding. The black on the rail is rubbing off where my thumb rests.

Anyway, I recently put a new set of Elixer strings on, and the next morning, the area around the wood strip on the back of the neck (at the base of the headstock) had developed a surface crack on each side of the strip.

Naturally, I was horrified, but now I am trying to figure if the strings did it or if it was coincidental.

How can I fix this, and has the value of the instrument been compromised?

I did not over tune it either, and the were not that heavy - just the standard stuff.

Also, I am trying to figure out about when this beauty was produced, and which version it is. It has an electronic setup like a Gibson SG - 2 vol, 2 tone, mono out, and a 3-way switch next to the volume knobs. It has the mute pad, and the neck pickup with independent tuning per string (with a mini screw driver).

I paid $200 for it (or should I say my wife did - Christmas present)- so what's it really worth?

I also have the opportunity to buy another Magnum bass - brown translucent like mine, but with an EQ and stereo out. How old/which model is this and am I doing well to buy it for $300?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-04-30 6:25 PM (#188800 - in reply to #188799)
Subject: Re: Magnum questions and concerns

That strip is a piece of Graphite. I have a neck like this also. Unless there was something strange about the way you changed the strings, or you changed guage, it probably is just coinsidence. I could see where if you changed all of the strings at once (having no tension, then having tension) could have done this also. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the wood simply aged, either shrinking or expanding as it does over time, and obviously the graphite strip does not.
Jon
Posted 2004-04-30 6:33 PM (#188801 - in reply to #188799)
Subject: Re: Magnum questions and concerns

Thanks Mr. Ovation.

Is it ruined in value? It plays as good as ever.

I did put a complete new set on. As far as I know the gauge was the same.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)