The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last Nights Open Mic

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-08 9:58 AM (#188199)
Subject: Last Nights Open Mic

Lots of fun a Huber-Breese.
Paul Huber did a little demo with a new Takamine he just got in. It was all dresssed up in abalone with "Takamine" on the pick guard in big letters. The pre-amp has a real in it. I tried to remember the number he said. I think it was a 12X7 or something. I'm sure one of you fret-heads knows which one it is. The plugged in sound was very nice. Kinda "warm". I know...it's all subjective anyway. In his comment, he said that "Ovation did the acoustic pick up first, but Takamine got it right."

A new guy played shallow bowl Celebrity. He may show up on this board in a few days.

Just to test the "It's a small world" theory, has anyone heard of William H. Russel, acoustic solo artist?

Brad
p.s. I got GAS reeeealy bad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BruDeV
Posted 2004-05-08 2:05 PM (#188200 - in reply to #188199)
Subject: Re: Last Nights Open Mic

Originally posted by Slipkid:
... The pre-amp has a real in it. I tried to remember the number he said. I think it was a 12X7 or something. ...

A real TUBE?
If so it's probably a 12AX7. But, tubes are notorious for being microphonic (especially the one's available today) and they also generate a lot of heat. I don't think I'd recommend putting one in a guitar (assuming that's were it is).
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-08 2:44 PM (#188201 - in reply to #188199)

I dont think the guitars vibration would be nearly as bad as say... that of a Super Reverb cranked up, but you're right, its something to consider. I'd think more than microphonic resonance, the mechanical noise when moving the guitar around would be worse. And heat... ayyeeye. Talk about a de-humidifier!
alpep
Posted 2004-05-08 2:45 PM (#188202 - in reply to #188199)

yes the preamp uses a tube it only runs on 3 volts. I saw it at the namm show Matt Smith did the demo and it sounded good.
NOt sure about the 3 volt use of a 12 volt tube
BruDeV
Posted 2004-05-08 3:19 PM (#188203 - in reply to #188199)

Must have a DC to DC converter in it. Probablly raises the voltage up to at least 90 volts.
BruDeV
Posted 2004-05-08 3:24 PM (#188204 - in reply to #188199)

Here's the web site info:
Cooltube Preamp

BTW it uses a 12AU7. (Lower gain than a 12AX7)
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-08 6:28 PM (#188205 - in reply to #188199)

Of all the words to skip, it just had to be "tube".
Brad
zorjon
Posted 2004-05-08 6:39 PM (#188206 - in reply to #188199)

I have heard much about these Takamine's lately from a guy that I jam with. He is a huge Takamine fan and I picked up an EF-381C 12 string that has been a challenge due to a warping top and I now use it as a 6 string. As a 6 string it is okay. My wife prefers is it over the O sound, but I must be biased because I certainly don't.

Considering that Kaman is the Takamine distributor, does any one know if there is any collective research that is shared between Ovation and Takamine. I know in a previous thread we discussed the lack of artists playing Ovations, apparently Kaman has done very well on the Takamine side with artists relations as they are very prominent on most music channels.

Just curious.

John
Beal
Posted 2004-05-09 7:30 AM (#188207 - in reply to #188199)

So it has a tube in the preamp. so what? Like it has a turbo on the engine. You still have to sit in the drivers seat, feel the wheel, suspension, the brakes, the steering and onandonandonandon.
(as seinfeld would say) Not that there's anything wrong with that!?! (Tak) They are very popular and they play great, sound good, have that look so many in Nashville want.

Personnally I like the feel of an Ovation neck and the responce of an Ovation through the amp, that's through my OP24 preamp, not those other things you need a PHD to operate.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-09 8:43 AM (#188208 - in reply to #188199)

What perplexes me is Toby Keith doing all his "American pride" type songs playing a Japanese-made Takamine.... :rolleyes:

In the Country Music Hall Of Hame in Nashville, they have his Takamine from the CMT Video Awards last year....with an American flag top on it?????

What's wrong with this picture?????

Roger
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-09 9:21 AM (#188209 - in reply to #188199)

Sic 'em Roger!!! grrrrrrrrrrr ;)
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-09 6:42 PM (#188210 - in reply to #188199)

Now, granted....I LIKE Toby Keith....he's just lucky his American-flag wavin' fans don't put 2 and 2 together about his guitars....

....or maybe they don't care....as they drive away from his concert in their Hyundai, running on BP gasoline, listening to him on their Panasonic car stereo.

Roger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)