The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
There Goes the Neighborhood

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Paul Wag
Posted 2004-04-28 3:16 PM (#188961)
Subject: There Goes the Neighborhood

Was perusing the new FWWeekly (cowtown's weekly, more liberal rag) at lunch today. The Weekly comes out every Wednesday, I'm still waiting on a review of our band, I keep e-mailing them every time we play!!
There is a full page add for a Fort Worth Guitar Center Grand Opening Thursday May the 6th. The location is about 4 miles from my house. The nearest Guitar Center is in Arlington - one of the "mid-cities" between Dallas and Ft. Worth, several miles from my house.
This is the first word I've had of the new store, even our drummer, who works for the more respectable Ft. Worth Star-Telegram as a business editor didn't know it was opening.

I plan on braving the crowds (they are giving away $100,000 - "Gee, honey now we can add on that music room for my Ovation/Hamer collection :D ") and seeing what's there.

It should be very interesting to see what a brand new GC stocks.

I was just at the location last week, scoping out a possible venue, I noticed the construction going on and didn't see anything about what store was coming in. Turns out the venue is right next door and they are sponsoring a battle of the bands....

I will send a full report on Kaman/Ovation presence and products.
:cool:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-28 5:27 PM (#188962 - in reply to #188961)
Subject: Re: There Goes the Neighborhood

Half of what a new GC stocks is overstocks, slow movers, dead inventory from other GCs.
Bailey
Posted 2004-04-29 1:29 AM (#188963 - in reply to #188961)

Paul

Give us a review when it opens, good luck on the 100 grand. If it's anything like the catalogues you should have fun browsing, might even find a deal or two.

Bailey
alpep
Posted 2004-04-29 7:43 AM (#188964 - in reply to #188961)

watch for the opening specials. GC gives products away when they open a store. There is no way anyone can compete with their prices on these items. It is probably because they are written off as promotion or advertisement.
Woz
Posted 2004-04-29 7:54 AM (#188965 - in reply to #188961)

Great chance to "meet" and "educate" the acoustic man. I know my guy (GC. asst mrg) by first name and he shouts out "Did you see what "O's" we just got in."

I know he has a job to do... And he will push what his mother ship tells him. He will also have an inventory cloud that he has to watch... BUT...

He knows the LX is going to be big.
He has a couple of USA "O's" in the (Martin & Taylor) special room. He also has a nice USA "O" on a hook in the small closet personal sound check room. Sort of a "what's this" on the wall.

I have no idea what $ or #s of Ovations he has sold but he made a list of 6 GC employees that made a trip to the Ovation Mother Ship in March.

I'd like to think the avg. new customer walking into his "room" will touch an "O" before they leave.

Woz.

PS. Having two teen boys both in pick up bands we make a GC run 3/4 times a month. Often to just hang out.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-29 8:23 AM (#188966 - in reply to #188961)

Yeah they do give it away when they have a grand opening, thats for sure. Just use yer noodle and make sure you're getting first rate stuff.

As far as promotion goes.... my former employer of 18 years used to open a location (industrial products) at least once a year. They're up to about 15 outlets now. Whenever they opened a place, the manufacturers would kick in product at deep discounts, offer freebie goodies, cater a huge BBQ for all the customers, give exteneded credit terms, co-op money, you name it. They basically wanted market share and promotion is the way to get established. At about 80million, we were quite a bit smaller in sales than GC, but the same ideas gotta apply. I cant imagine that its any better or worse in the musical instrument world.
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-05-06 3:06 PM (#188967 - in reply to #188961)

Tonights the GC Grand Opening - I'm going to go check it out

See if there are any LXs.

:)
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-05-06 3:21 PM (#188968 - in reply to #188961)

Paul wag: See if the have Toca bongos!
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-06 3:36 PM (#188969 - in reply to #188961)

Guys, Don't forget My trip to texas is in July. If we get together and Jam.. The Bongos Round Out The Sound!! :D
Paul does play mean Bongo! :cool:
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-05-06 3:46 PM (#188970 - in reply to #188961)

I'm slowly but surely working on the OFC Texas get together....

"I don’t want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don’t want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day"
Todd Rundgren

:D :D :D
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-06 5:10 PM (#188971 - in reply to #188961)

Excelent quote Paul. If you have to do the jam before I get there..Maybe we can still get together and jam. i'm actually hoping it all works out. I'll have the chance to meet some other folks that didn't make it to the tour!
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-05-07 11:11 AM (#188972 - in reply to #188961)

Well, we braved the crowd to the GC Grand Opening, my two youngest daughters and I waited in line for an hour and a half. For some reason I didn't think it would be so crowded. :rolleyes:

It was a madhouse inside. We looked around for a little while, I picked up some spare 1/4" cords at a good sale price.

They had two LX Balladeers, one Elite T and several Celebrities. It was so crowded and loud I didn't have a real chance to play the LXs - I'll go back when it's not so crowded and give them a try. I was hoping there would be an Elite LX or Legend LX to try....
Paul V
Posted 2004-05-07 11:29 AM (#188973 - in reply to #188961)

Paul,

I'd love to hear your take on the LX Balladeers if you get an opportunity to play them when you go back.

Thanks.

Paul V.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)