The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
First Gig with My New LX

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

John B
Posted 2004-05-14 6:53 AM (#187806)
Subject: First Gig with My New LX

First I must say that out of the 5 guitars that I now have, the Legend LX is by far the best playing one of them all. The action is low and comfortable with not a buzz to be heard even when strumming it hard.

I took it out on a gig last night and unfortunately ran into a little glitch (well, not so little at the time). I'm in the middle of my first song (in a new venue to boot) and I hear a loud pop and my guitar cut out on me.

It turns out that the little plastic wiring harness inside the guiitar came loose. I'm guessing that the heat and bouncing around on it's UPS journey had much to do with it. It looks like Ovation only uses double stick tape to hold it in place.

When I got home from my gig, I cut a small piece of duct tape and taped the harness to the guitar and it seems fine now. I guess I should probably have the guitar looked at by my local Ovation dealer, but I just can't part with it right now. I'll bring it out with me again on Saturday night and see what happens. I always have two guitars with me anyway.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Johnny (Strummin12) who was nice enough to stop by the gig last night. I also got booked in the place every Thursday night, so my O's are going to getting a lot of work.

Has anyone else ever had any problems with the wiring in your guitars?

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-05-14 9:04 AM (#187807 - in reply to #187806)
Subject: Re: First Gig with My New LX

John;
Glad that the gig worked out well for you!
I was hoping to stop by last night, but I didn't get out of work 'till 8:00, then I had to re-string the two guitars and load up my car for tonight's gig. Since moving to Summit, I no longer have the luxury of stopping home, changing and loading up for a gig. I now have to load-up early in the morning (or the night before) and haul all the shit with me to work. Oh well.

I have some REALLY good 3M VHB (VeryHighBond) double-sided tape. It was formulated to hold large mirrors to the ceiling at O'Hare airport.
Once you use it to stick two things together, they DON'T come apart! Lemme know if you need some to stick onto the back of the plastic clip for the harness.

Glad the LX is workin' out for you!
John B
Posted 2004-05-14 9:59 AM (#187808 - in reply to #187806)

Thanks Cliff. If the electrical tape doesn't work, I'll take you up on that. I'm not expecting any more problems. Like I said, the minor problem aside, I love this guitar. I almost wanted to take a sick day today so I could sit home and play it, but I have too much going on at work. I hate when work gets in the way of my guitar playing! :mad:

I wanted to come out to your gig tonight but I have to go to wake in Fair Lawn, so I'm not sure if we'll be up to it. I may have to get to bed at decent hour since I played last night and I'm playing tomorrow night. I'm getting too old for this shit.

By the way, how's the new digs in Summit? Are you all settled in? If you need help with anything lemme know.

John
cliff
Posted 2004-05-14 10:18 AM (#187809 - in reply to #187806)

". . I'm getting too old for this shit. . "

I seem to ALWAYS mutter that to myself at 2a.m. while I'm humping gear out to my car!

I'm thinking of having my middle name legally changed to that.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-14 10:19 AM (#187810 - in reply to #187806)

John, on my Legend LX I had the same problem. The guitar never went out on me, but I could hear the wires moving in the guitar when I moved it around. I used double stick tape like Cliff is talking about to secure the wires to the bowl. It is fine now, and it works great.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-14 11:20 AM (#187811 - in reply to #187806)

Hmmmmm....I also have a stray wire in my new Al DiMeola. It is a very simple fix.
If the captain of the motherships reads this thread the guy who handles that job is going get a talking to.
Brad
John B
Posted 2004-05-14 11:28 AM (#187812 - in reply to #187806)

To be fair, my guitar spent the whole day in very hot and humid UPS truck which would cause problems with many adhesives. If that's my biggest problem with the guitar, you won't hear a complaint from me. I would think, however, that Ovation would have a little better way to secure the wiring harness, perhaps some sort of clip. This stuff never happens with my Martins :p

Just kidding guys. I now own more O's than Martins, so I guess I'm officially an Ovation guy. ;)
Strummin12
Posted 2004-05-14 2:02 PM (#187813 - in reply to #187806)

HEY GUYS!

Only had a short time to stop by the John's gig...between packing for vacation and having to be up at 5am to take mom to the hospital for a test (she's fine...loved the anesthesia!), I didn't want to miss the chance to see/hear/ meet you.

John, you sounded great! Really nice gear, and gorgeous new LX guitar. Wish you had the "O" rockin'..that "other one" didn't hold a candle soundwise, IMHO. I enjoyed the 5 songs I heard, and the crowd seemed to be loving ya! Good job, man! Congrats on getting a regular gig there! I'll stop by again to hear a full set.

Hey let's JAM sometime soon!

Maybe when I get back from vacation (Maine!) we could chat about gettin' me n' Shel a gig in there too!

Be well guys...catch you next week sometime.
Thanks again!
Johnny
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-14 3:12 PM (#187814 - in reply to #187806)

Cliff,
Email me. I've got some archival framer's tape that is just the right sticky, totally archival museum quality, and wont cause and problems if you stick it to the back of the top, bowl, your forhead, etc etc.

Its you'rs for the SASE (or at least I'll send you a few feet of it).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)