Phil Keaggy
worshipleader
Posted 2005-05-15 1:51 PM (#150830)
Subject: Phil Keaggy

Waskel turned me on to the Phil Keaggy concert in Washington, NJ last night, and my wife and I went. I guess I don't really have words to describe the evening except ... OH MY!!!! I'd never had the pleasure of hearing him before, and was in a word, stunned by what Phil, his guitars, and his toys did throughout the concert. I've never heard anyone that much "one" with their instrument. It was spectacular, thrilling, sobering, dazzling, humbling, spiritual and maybe even orgasmic in a wonderfully musical way. What a consumate artist I witnessed last night -- thanks Waskel - I owe you. :D

Oh yeah - Paul, maybe we could get Phil to go for an Ovation instead of his Olson too ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2005-05-15 2:10 PM (#150831 - in reply to #150830)
Subject: Re: Phil Keaggy

Saw PK at the Admiral in Bremerton and at the Christian Musician's Summit in Tacoma, awesome!

He is not likely to switch his guitars. Did he use his "Ebow"?
worshipleader
Posted 2005-05-15 2:36 PM (#150832 - in reply to #150830)

Yup and a fabulous sampling loop machine and fingerpicked like I've never heard ... and with only 4 fingers on his right hand. He cut the middle one off at the first knuckle when he was a kid. I can't even do decent fingerpicking with all five fingers available ... :(
Rosewoody
Posted 2005-05-15 6:35 PM (#150833 - in reply to #150830)

I saw PK in a college auditorium in the mid-seventies. He had been a band called "Glass Harp," but when I saw him he was out of rock n' roll and into solo acoustic. He was pretty young and I thought he was great. If I can offer a recommendation, give a listen to "Acoustic Sketches." This is all-instrumental, very tasty.--Ron
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-05-15 6:57 PM (#150834 - in reply to #150830)

Phil's had that Olson since '85. I doubt he'll ever switch to an Ovation. He plays other guitars also, but the Olson is his most often seen.
I've been listening to Phil since his "What A Day" album. I've seen him many times over the years(He even did a concert at our church/coffee house in the early '70's). After all these years there's something really...I don't know...comforting about hearing hearing music from someone I've "gone through" my musical life with. John <>{ P.S.- wish I had an Olson.
Bentman
Posted 2005-05-15 11:12 PM (#150835 - in reply to #150830)

Well Rosewoody you had a chance to see Glass Harp and you thought Phil was young? What's that make you...about 90? In actuality I own a Glass Harp album and I thought I was the only one who knew who they were.
Hey Worshipleader, Did Phil preach or did he just play? I've seen him many times and I can't remember ever hearing him give the real reason why he plays.

Bentman
worshipleader
Posted 2005-05-16 7:06 AM (#150836 - in reply to #150830)

He spoke a little, but nothing like a testimony. I'd have liked a little more though. But he did lots of tunes from the albums which tell you where he comes from.
richardd
Posted 2005-05-16 7:39 AM (#150837 - in reply to #150830)

A wonderful player. I have several of his albums.

I know he's not know as an Ovation player but I've seen a photo of him playing an O.
Waskel
Posted 2005-05-16 2:00 PM (#150838 - in reply to #150830)

Hey, Robbie - I'm really glad you got to "experience" Phil. There's no other word to describe it. What he can do with an acoustic guitar and a Lexicon Jam-man is hard to comprehend.
Did he do "True Believers"? I saw him do that at a local church a few years back. He does the percussion on his guitar body, loops that, plays and sings the song, then sings the background vocals into the soundhole, loops and adds harmonies to it, sings lead over the backgrounds... all while playing flawlessly.

It's always a treat to see him at CMS, improvising for 90 minutes while 200-300 guitarists, many quite accomplished, sit there with thier jaws on the floor. Doyle Dykes was one of the presenters, but Philly had a SRO Master Class.
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-05-16 8:45 PM (#150839 - in reply to #150830)

When a reporter asked Eddie Van Halen what it felt like to be the world's best guitarist, he replied " I don't know . Go ask Phil Keaggy."

Wouldn't it be fun to watch Phil & Kaki King jam!! :cool:
GtrMn4Hm
Posted 2005-05-16 10:31 PM (#150840 - in reply to #150830)

I just have to jump in on this!
I have been listening to (and "trying" ha, ha, to play like) Phil Keaggy for years now. Every report is true! He is indeed the best!
What makes Phil Keaggy unique is that he excels in every style while other guitar virtuosos tend to stay around one genre.
I was able to find an instructional video by Phil Keaggy (highly recommended) on e-bay. It will open your eyes. I think the story you mentioned about who was the "best guitarist in the world" was when they asked Eric Clapton...not Eddie...at least that's the way I heard it.
Anyway, it's always good to have that one person that can motivate us to improve...for me that has always been Phil Keaggy.
Cheers,
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-05-17 6:00 AM (#150841 - in reply to #150830)

I've been hearing that story for decades...but it was Jimi Hendrix.
Waskel
Posted 2005-05-17 7:02 AM (#150842 - in reply to #150830)

From an interview with Phil...

So what about this off quoted comment by Jimmy Hendricks, where he is quoted as saying that he believed that you were the best guitar player in the world. Was that true?

[PK] Probably not.

Was that urban legend?

[PK] Yeah. It's urban or suburban. I'm not sure which. I always get asked that question but I don't have any answers regarding it.
leftovertion
Posted 2005-05-17 11:43 AM (#150843 - in reply to #150830)

Boy, Waskel, that takes me back...Phil with 2nd Chapter of Acts - that's the stuff I cut me musical and spiritual teeth on!! Fun times and lots of great music from them, Keith Green, Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill and Mark Heard (R.I.P.), along with the Pat Terry Group, Sweet Comfort Band, Don Francisco, Love Song, Paul Clark, James Vincent (another incredible guitar player; jazz/rock/fusion)...I could go on and on...